Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:14 AM

646 posts, read 393,990 times

Advertisements

actually, the example is from my parents neighbor. her husband died, and she was left in a house in the DC area on the salary of a teacher's aid. she had liens against the home, and more than 1 mortgage. because she owned it, her son was ineligible for grants. also, what is greed? I am unfamiliar with that term. can you define it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Learn something about writing software! Good God, man.

Grant money for education, are you complaining someone in your family didnt get a grant because your household income is too large? And they didnt get a scholarship for whatever reason? And now you're going to have to get a loan, poor thing? How greedy are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 09:15 AM

they are already offered. we have the job corps, the military, and if you are poor, you can get assistance for tuition. also, community college is cheap. if you can't pay for community college, something is wrong with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
well maybe instead of money offer some free community college courses and offer aprenticeship program for the trades

Old 09-04-2010, 09:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
well maybe instead of money offer some free community college courses and offer aprenticeship program for the trades
Obama Plans Community-College Initiative - WSJ.com

Taxpayer-paid (government) apprenticeship programs, or......................... programs offered by..................... LABOR UNIONS?

Old 09-04-2010, 09:17 AM

449 posts, read 934,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
This thread is silliness! The modern idea of "wealth distribution" in America adds up to a few hundred dollars in tax relief for the working poor and middle class. Unfortunately tax policy has been benefiting the rich for decades. You see, distribution of wealth is a two way street. But morons who know nothing about economics seem to ignore the facts...or they just don't understand...
I know a guy who earns in the neighborhood of $350+ per year. He gets prison raped for over $100,000 per year in taxes. I am no economics expert but that sounds like a pretty big chunk of change. How do you figure the tax code is set up to benefit him?

I believe the reason the middle class pays only a slightly lower percentage, which admittedly hurts them more, is because there are so many more of them. If we lower taxes on the middle class by only a few percent, there wouldn't be enough rich people to make it up. And corporations like mine pay double taxes. I must match each employees medicade and SOS.

Also, even small business owners who make very little pay a lot more in taxes. I know because I've filed them. There is a small business tax that piles a huge liability on top of your taxable income. Small business owners also get prison raped by the IRS.

The only way for corporation owners to get a slight break it to take up to half of their income in the form of dividends in which they avoid paying the EXTRA tax they would otherwise pay.

The ones who really pay nothing are the poor, which in the US means yo don't have what the rich have. The poor here are wealthy by world wide standards. Anyway, people below around $20K pay almost nothing in taxes.

All in all, i think the current tax codes are pretty fair. I would like to see them lowered for people in the $40K to around $150K because those people really get burned. But I know it can't be done because this is where the majority of wage earners fall.

531 posts, read 338,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
they are already offered. we have the job corps, the military, and if you are poor, you can get assistance for tuition. also, community college is cheap. if you can't pay for community college, something is wrong with you.
You are correct poor people have so many recourses these days. People cant wait to give poor kids a scholarship especially if there black. Job corps, the military, financial aid, scholarships. They got plenty. Middle class suffers. They can't afford college but there not poor enough to get help.

the 101,000 employees of the IRS can't write software. well, they are government employees, soooooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Learn something about writing software! Good God, man.

Grant money for education, are you complaining someone in your family didnt get a grant because your household income is too large? And they didnt get a scholarship for whatever reason? And now you're going to have to get a loan, or make financial sacrifices for education?

Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewcas View Post
You are correct poor people have so many recourses these days. People cant wait to give poor kids a scholarship especially if there black. Job corps, the military, financial aid, scholarships. They got plenty. Middle class suffers. They can't afford college but there not poor enough to get help.

that's exactly right.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:32 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times
Quote:
you could make all poor people millionaires, and they'd be broke within a few years. this is why people are poor, it's called money management. it's not because of the "elite few."

jackpot-winners-just-as-likely-to-go-bust: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/retirement/article/110553/jackpot-winners-just-as-likely-to-go-bust - broken link)
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...tribution.html Here is a thread on the current state of wealth redistribution in America today. It is alive and well in taking from the middle class to the rich. So I don't want to hear about how if you give poor people a bunch of money they will just end up poor again. The rich are taking all the wealth out of America and putting it in China where they will get a much larger return on their investment. That is they are selling us a load of do do to justify their making a lot of money at our collective expense.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 AM

that's one tax I would agree with. tax the living crap out of ANY business that outsources jobs. we need manufacturing back in this country like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...tribution.html Here is a thread on the current state of wealth redistribution in America today. It is alive and well in taking from the middle class to the rich. So I don't want to hear about how if you give poor people a bunch of money they will just end up poor again. The rich are taking all the wealth out of America and putting it in China where they will get a much larger return on their investment. That is they are selling us a load of do do to justify their making a lot of money at our collective expense.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:47 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times
Quote:
that's one tax I would agree with. tax the living crap out of ANY business that outsources jobs. we need manufacturing back in this country like crazy.
yip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies