Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:20 PM

247 posts, read 573,315 times

Advertisements

Im wondering what the general public knows about the trucking industry? and what some of you think of truckers and what they do for our country... and how much people know about what they go through everyday to make a living for them selves and there families... without truckers america stops even the military, truckers keep them going also...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 12:27 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,257,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil tatro View Post
Im wondering what the general public knows about the trucking industry? and what some of you think of truckers and what they do for our country... and how much people know about what they go through everyday to make a living for them selves and there families... without truckers america stops even the military, truckers keep them going also...
Here's some history.

Don't know what it's like today.

YouTube - Convoy (1978) U.S. Trailer Directed by Sam Peckinpah

Old 09-04-2010, 12:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,778,666 times
I suspect many don't give a second thought how anything gets to the stores for their purchase. A real good trucking strike, like the one that should have happened to keep Mexican truckers with uninspected vehicles from transporting in the US, would shut down this country in a New York minute.

I try to be respectful of truckers on the interstate and give them a wide berth to pass whenever possible. They are doing a job and trying to get home the same as all of us; but, the highway is their office. Driving huge machines is a great responsibility from a public safety aspect and they are to be held to a very high standard.

Sadly there are some really bad truckers out there too and I'm noticing more of them who are all over the road. I've spent more time on the interstates than the average American driver and I am always alarmed by truckers who fill up their keg size drink containers at the soda fountain and then purchase a 1/5th of hard liquor at the truck stop cashier's counter. I saw this again just a few days ago at a truckstop along I-70.

I've heard some say that truck driving ruins a trucker's motivation for doing other jobs because of the very long hours spent sitting.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:35 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,132,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil tatro View Post
Virgil, I am pretty sure that the only thing most people think about truckers is that they sure do hinder traffic often. For instance, I am sure that very few of the city people have any idea how hungry they may get on about the fifth day of a genera truckers' strike, and that the law doesn't allow that to happen for that very reason.

The truckers aren't seen as nearly as necessary as they are by most people because they don't live in close proximity to one or more of them. The thing that bothers me most is that so few really have any idea about the effect of the price of diesel fuel on everything we buy. They don't understand that when that price goes up the truckers have to add the increased cost to what they charge their customers and that gets passed down the line to the eventual consumer. I don't think that many of them realize what Cap and Trade will do to all prices in this country, but they will get to find out soon.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:36 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,577,314 times
Trains would be way better to transport large amounts of goods, simply more economical over long distances.
But it is a nice job for people who don't like the presence of other people like in an office.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:38 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,257,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Virgil, I am pretty sure that the only thing most people think about truckers is that they sure do hinder traffic often. For instance, I am sure that very few of the city people have any idea how hungry they may get on about the fifth day of a genera truckers' strike, and that the law doesn't allow that to happen for that very reason.

The truckers aren't seen as nearly as necessary as they are by most people because they don't live in close proximity to one or more of them. The thing that bothers me most is that so few really have any idea about the effect of the price of diesel fuel on everything we buy. They don't understand that when that price goes up the truckers have to add the increased cost to what they charge their customers and that gets passed down the line to the eventual consumer. I don't think that many of them realize what Cap and Trade will do to all prices in this country, but they will get to find out soon.
Gee, mass transiting of freight via railroads hasn't seemed to reduce highway use much.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:44 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,577,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Here's some history.

Don't know what it's like today.

YouTube - Convoy (1978) U.S. Trailer Directed by Sam Peckinpah
I was watching a documentary on a trucker couple a few weeks ago. There are a whole lot of regulations these days, tight deadlines. Their position is always tracked per GPS, not much left of the freedom trucking used to be associated with.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:44 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,369,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Trains would be way better to transport large amounts of goods, simply more economical over long distances.
But it is a nice job for people who don't like the presence of other people like in an office.
Trains are used to transport the vast amount of goods. Trucks on the other hand deliver the goods. From container yards at the docks and main terminal for rail. Sometimes you will find rail cars piggy backing 52' Trailers to a terminal to be picked up by truck.
You cannot back a train into every city, town, and store in America. This takes trucks.

Trucking is not only the backbone of America but the world. Trucking is also clean today vs., previous years. With the current EPA requirement of .02 NoX emissions, today's trucks with new engines are actually cleaner than cars. Trucking will face some driver shortages with CSA 2010 coming and most through retirement. Truckers with CDL's Class A with endorsements are your most safe drivers on the road today. Professionally trained and drug free.

Without trucks America will "STOP".

Old 09-04-2010, 12:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,778,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Gee, mass transiting of freight via railroads hasn't seemed to reduce highway use much.
Apparently you don't observe trains often if this is your perception. Intermodal shipping is huge in the USA; I repeat, HUGE. There is simply no way to do that all on the interstates.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:55 PM

782 posts, read 3,779,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Trucking will face some driver shortages with CSA 2010 coming and most through retirement.
Don't believe that, trucking will never have a shortage. The problem is the wages are too low. LTL is the highest paid drivers overall, but their wages are declining to no freight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies