Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:08 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Should the farmer who did such an idiotic, blatantly stupid thing not have been fined a fee for the fire protection? It didn't recoup even a quarter of the expenses that came from this, and insurance paid for the houses and lost crops, but when someone does something that stupid, they deserve to have to pay for at least part of the cost.

Fine him for his actions. And yes he should pay.

Hopefully the fines and costs he pays will cure him of his stupidity. I hope he learned something.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:06 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,141 times
This is nothing new to me.
Back in '94 my mom, my son and myself were in a car accident. Mom was driving and was hit while crossing an intersection. We had the green light and the woman who hit us ran the red. We were hit on the passenger side by the tire and ended up on the side of the road. The other driver plowed through the electrical box that houses the traffic lights and went into a building. Because my mom was somehow found at fault, the city sent her a bill for over $10,000 to repair that electrical box. We laughed and wrote the city and told them where to shove that bill. Made us wonder how many times the city tried to charge accident victims for damage to traffic lights and other poles and boxes.
Then in 05 we had an experience with the fire department. My son had a painful toothache and I could not afford to take him to the dentist. He begged me for relief but I couldn't help except to give him pain meds. My roommate (a major airhead) at the time decided on her own to call the fire department. When they got here I told them they weren't needed but they came in anyway to check out my son. They did nothing but look in his mouth and say, "Oh yes, he has a cavity." Then they left. A couple weeks later he got a bill for $175. from the fire department. I refused to pay it because I did not call them. My roommate got stuck paying it and she never called 9-1-1 needlessly after that.
I don't think any of us should be shocked at this practice. Makes me think of "free" public schools: years ago we did not have to buy any school supplies to bring to class - the teacher gave us the crayons, pencils, pens, paper, etc. that we needed. Now a parent not only has to supply these items for their own children, they also have to buy extra for the poor children who cannot afford their own. Makes me shake my head and wonder what has happened to this country.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
I pay a monthly paramedic fee of $4.34. In yucaipa you have no choice.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Yeah, here in CA we have an option attached to our property tax where you pay a little something and then there is no charge if you are ambulances to a hospital or call paramedics.

Maybe there is just different ways different states collect some stuff, and maybe there are just politicians raiding the general funds like politicians seem to do in California.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:14 PM

415 posts, read 615,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A very large portion of the population pays no taxes so they have to get the taxpayers again and this is how they will do that. Of course those on welfare won't have to pay when they call for help, only those who already do pay.

They don't? Government handouts are not exempt from taxes. Not even unemployment benefits are exempt. The welfare crowd has to eat sometime, and since the welfare crowd isn't on the street, I'm sure they live somewhere and possibly drive a car. If they don't own a car they probably use mass transit. I'm sure they also brush their teeth and use toilet paper. In other words, they buy things and use services that are taxed. So they DO pay taxes.

Unless of course there is a secret line at Ralph's for welfare people where they don't charge taxes and the local mechanic doesn't charge taxes on repairs for people on welfare.

I don't get where the idea that the poor pay nothing comes from. The poor pay taxes. They just don't pay income taxes.

I find billing people for emergency services appalling. I will consider it when not a dime goes to the police or the fire department.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
These services are already paid for.

The role of the police & fire department should be to SERVE & PROTECT, not serve & collect.
What about a DUI Crash? The driver of the car paid his/hers taxes too. So the services are paid for, right? We won't bill them for the time and/or services either.

What about the wild party at the house down the corner? You know the one on Friday night? 200+ people there, underage drinking, loud thumping music and you can't sleep for work because of it. It takes 10 cops to shut the party down and break it up.

Well guess what? They get the bill too. But, they paid for their services too. So, they shouldn't "serve and collect." Guess they will say to you, when your house is being broken into: Sorry. We have this party we have to shut down and can't leave. You are on your own.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:45 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
What about a DUI Crash? The driver of the car paid his/hers taxes too. So the services are paid for, right? We won't bill them for the time and/or services either.

What about the wild party at the house down the corner? You know the one on Friday night? 200+ people there, underage drinking, loud thumping music and you can't sleep for work because of it. It takes 10 cops to shut the party down and break it up.

Well guess what? They get the bill too. But, they paid for their services too. So, they shouldn't "serve and collect." Guess they will say to you, when your house is being broken into: Sorry. We have this party we have to shut down and can't leave. You are on your own.
You need to chill officer phil. This is not a cop bashing thread & i pay $52.08 a yr for paramedic service even though i dont want it but at least i know i cant be billed if i ever use it. The city of yucaipa does not bill accident victims but they sure pay the full time public servants well. 67% of the city budget goes towards cops & firemen. Thats way too much. I often see the yucaipa police run red lights (stop, look left & right & run the light).
Moderator cut: thread closed per OP's request

Last edited by Marka; 10-17-2012 at 02:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies