Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:25 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,204,876 times

Advertisements

In the past the United States has had government programs which forcefully sterilized violent criminals and the mentally ill. They were based on the idea that the mental impairments, such as schizophrenia, were largely genetic. And that violent criminals were violent largely caused by genes that might inclinate them into more aggressive behavior(such as the "violent" gene that has been identified recently).

Since these people had basically lost their rights under our constitution, a great number of these people were forcefully sterilized.

While I understand the knee-jerk reaction that this was a abridgement to personal liberty, and I do agree for ethical reasons.

My question is simply, if you understand the genetic connection of mental illness and violent/impulsive behavior, do you believe it was a good public-safety policy for us to carry out these forced-sterilizations? And do you believe that the forced-sterilizations that did occur, had an overall positive effect on the rest of humanity?

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~wellerst/laughlin/Laughlin_Model_Law.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:45 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,856,133 times
ok while it goes way against personal liberties I can't really argue any of these people have the right to reproduce... but I'm afraid I don't see a reason the person on welfare should be allowed to produce yet another child they can't afford.

While we are operating what about castration of rapist? Hope they are all really guilty otherwise we will have some serious issues.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:49 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
In the past the United States has had government programs which forcefully sterilized violent criminals and the mentally ill. They were based on the idea that the mental impairments, such as schizophrenia, were largely genetic. And that violent criminals were violent largely caused by genes that might inclinate them into more aggressive behavior(such as the "violent" gene that has been identified recently).

Since these people had basically lost their rights under our constitution, a great number of these people were forcefully sterilized.

While I understand the knee-jerk reaction that this was a abridgement to personal liberty, and I do agree for ethical reasons.

My question is simply, if you understand the genetic connection of mental illness and violent/impulsive behavior, do you believe it was a good public-safety policy for us to carry out these forced-sterilizations? And do you believe that the forced-sterilizations that did occur, had an overall positive effect on the rest of humanity?

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~wellerst/laughlin/Laughlin_Model_Law.pdf (broken link)

No, mentally ill people should not be sterilized. There is no proof it is genetic.

The violent criminals, especially multiple offenders and those harming women and/or children,
should be euthenized like the vermin they are. Sterilization is not needed if they are dust.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Child abusers should be sterilized. Like the woman who hunted down and drowned her children, there is no reason at all for her to breed again.

Otherwise no one should be forced into sterilization but it should be mandatory in order to receive welfare handouts.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times
Good god, no. It's not a good idea to force anyone to be physically altered. Civilized countries that respect their citizens' human rights don't do such things.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:35 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,059 times
Mentally ill people may be only temporarily psychotic, and it could be due to other underlying illnesses that are wholly treatable. I would advise strongly against sterilizing them as a whole.

Violent criminals - I could care less if they were hanged.

Poor people who cannot support their existing kids and who refuse to use birth control - perhaps?

Old 09-05-2010, 09:39 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good god, no. It's not a good idea to force anyone to be physically altered. Civilized countries that respect their citizens' human rights don't do such things.
Absolutely agree. What is needed is a better criminal justice system with less loopholes for offenders. Drug dealers get more time than child molesters/sexual offenders. There is something not right about that. Improper police procedures, and other catastrophes, causing technicalities that allow offenders to go free, is ridiculous. While other instances send an innocent person to jail, prison or execution, is as equally ridiculous. The system is broken and so is the ideology of the thread topic. People playing 'Creator' never turns out well.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Itas just more centralist governamnt controol and they always screw everything up.Just providing the leagl rights would cost a ton on prisoners.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:23 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,073,168 times
No.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:34 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,617 times
The problem of forced sterilization as a public policy to solve public problems is very simple. Where do you draw the line? If getting rid of the mentally ill is good why not extend it to other forms of disability that society might benefit if gotten out of the gene pool or would cost society vast amounts of money over a lifetime? In a future America forced sterilization might be seized as an answer to maintain poulations like white people who have lower fertility rates as compared to people of color who have higher rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies