Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 01:16 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyword View Post
It's getting a little embarrassing telling foreigners I live in the United States.

Some/many of the citizens of the United States like to pick fights with groups, the Latinos&Hispanics, the Islamic religion, the Japanese and the Chinese earlier in the past century, the general area of the Middle East. There a lot of the time seems to be an ignorance of general facts about the world they live in. A couple being, the word Hispanic being interchangeable with the word Latino, calling all Muslim terrorists, thinking the only undocumented immigrants are from Mexico, just to name a few. One of the annoying things is that they like to stick their foot in their mouth a lot.

When I go to foreign countries I get even more embarrassed to see people from the United States carry around US flags, and speaking ENGLISH with the natives of that country.

I sometimes think people from the US pride themselves too much on being ignorant. At many rallies people are spewing hate and completely false information. I was watching a youtube video of a protest against immigration and a guy said "Mexicans are half Spaniard and half Mongolian" Statements like this wish I did not live here.

The other topic is of the community center being built near ground zero. I still don't understand why people are automatically jumping on the boat of "IT'S A TERRORIST MOSQUE!" instead of realizing there is a mosque pretty close. And it's a COMMUNITY CENTER. For example, at Pearl Harbor there is a Japanese community center. Also, I mean come'on you let Glenn Beck assemble at the Lincoln Memorial and you complain about a community center? The YMCA was/is affiliated with Christianity but you didn't see people protesting that. (Yes I know different time period).

Out of these two issues and other issues not mentioned I've noticed that racism and just plain discrimination has been flowing more freely out of people's mouth and on television.

Why is there such a misinformed public ? Why does the media only show the 'crazies'? A quick follow-up to this topic is, have you ever felt embarrassed to live in the US or to consider yourself 'American'. (I think saying American is a little ignorant since America is a sum of 2/3 Continents).

Don't be embarrassed to be American. Just behave how you think Americans should behave and set a good example
For some time I was embarrassed to be German because of the bad reputation Germans have down here due to their beach behavior. But I just don't behave like a tourist and things are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 01:17 PM

43 posts, read 76,798 times
I continue to be amazed at these posts. Honestly, I hope it is someone that is simply trying to "stir the pot" a little and see whose skin they can get under. If not, you are correct, we have serious problems in this country - just not what you are trying to point out.

Quote:
It's getting a little embarrassing telling foreigners I live in the United States.
Then I'm sure you have a place in mind that would work better for you. Keep in mind we were all a little embarrassed of our parents as teenagers, yet had no problem eating their food, driving their cars and living under their roof. Basically, you are still a spoiled child in this regard, soaking up all the good this country offers while denouncing it.

Quote:
Some/many of the citizens of the United States like to pick fights with groups, the Latinos&Hispanics, the Islamic religion, the Japanese and the Chinese earlier in the past century, the general area of the Middle East. There a lot of the time seems to be an ignorance of general facts about the world they live in. A couple being, the word Hispanic being interchangeable with the word Latino, calling all Muslim terrorists, thinking the only undocumented immigrants are from Mexico, just to name a few. One of the annoying things is that they like to stick their foot in their mouth a lot.
I'm trying to remember the last time Americans danced in the streets to celebrate the deaths of civilians in another country. Say what you will about US policy, but the average American does not have a lust for blood like so many groups worldwide (including the Japanese in the 30's and 40's as well as a very vocal portion of the Middle East).

Quote:
When I go to foreign countries I get even more embarrassed to see people from the United States carry around US flags, and speaking ENGLISH with the natives of that country.
Do you experience that same embarrassment when you see all the times in the United States where businesses must post information in Spanish? Does it bother you that there are schools in an English speaking nation where English isn't spoken in more than half of the homes? Do you wince every time you see a permanent resident, much less a tourist, flying another nation's flag prominently - even above the American flag in some cases?

Quote:
I sometimes think people from the US pride themselves too much on being ignorant. At many rallies people are spewing hate and completely false information. I was watching a youtube video of a protest against immigration and a guy said "Mexicans are half Spaniard and half Mongolian" Statements like this wish I did not live here.
Ignorance is a commodity that is painfully abundant around the world, and is the single greatest source of anger. You may have heard that some people don't believe in a round Earth, or find that it is acceptable to stone someone to death for eloping. Find me a nation with no ignorance, no hatred, no poverty, and I will happily move in next door to you.

Quote:
The other topic is of the community center being built near ground zero. I still don't understand why people are automatically jumping on the boat of "IT'S A TERRORIST MOSQUE!" instead of realizing there is a mosque pretty close. And it's a COMMUNITY CENTER. For example, at Pearl Harbor there is a Japanese community center. Also, I mean come'on you let Glenn Beck assemble at the Lincoln Memorial and you complain about a community center? The YMCA was/is affiliated with Christianity but you didn't see people protesting that. (Yes I know different time period).
Guess I have to side with the haters on this one. While clearly not all, or even most, Muslims are terrorists, Ground Zero exists due to the actions of Muslims and was done in the name of Islam. If the Islamic community truly wants to reach out and show compassion, show it. We have an enormous nation, nearly 2.3 billion acres. Build somewhere else. Respect that we don't want to honor something two blocks away from the site that nearly 3,000 people died at the hands of followers of this faith. I'm not aware of any statues honoring U.S. nuclear achievements in Hiroshima.

I notice that you leave out any discussion about what nation leads the world in private donations to assisting in disasters or fighting disease and hunger across the globe. You certainly can't be ashamed of the advances that the United States has contributed to science and technology that improves lives around the world. Even in these difficult times, our poor still have a better standard of living than the middle class of much of the planet.

If there is anything that we have to be embarrassed about, it's the people that have so much here and yet are so unappreciative.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:51 PM

32 posts, read 41,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Don't be embarrassed to be American. Just behave how you think Americans should behave and set a good example
For some time I was embarrassed to be German because of the bad reputation Germans have down here due to their beach behavior. But I just don't behave like a tourist and things are fine.
Okay ^_^ I will .

Old 09-06-2010, 02:18 PM

71 posts, read 111,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkessack View Post
I continue to be amazed at these posts. Honestly, I hope it is someone that is simply trying to "stir the pot" a little and see whose skin they can get under. If not, you are correct, we have serious problems in this country - just not what you are trying to point out.

Then I'm sure you have a place in mind that would work better for you. Keep in mind we were all a little embarrassed of our parents as teenagers, yet had no problem eating their food, driving their cars and living under their roof. Basically, you are still a spoiled child in this regard, soaking up all the good this country offers while denouncing it.

I'm trying to remember the last time Americans danced in the streets to celebrate the deaths of civilians in another country. Say what you will about US policy, but the average American does not have a lust for blood like so many groups worldwide (including the Japanese in the 30's and 40's as well as a very vocal portion of the Middle East).

Do you experience that same embarrassment when you see all the times in the United States where businesses must post information in Spanish? Does it bother you that there are schools in an English speaking nation where English isn't spoken in more than half of the homes? Do you wince every time you see a permanent resident, much less a tourist, flying another nation's flag prominently - even above the American flag in some cases?

Ignorance is a commodity that is painfully abundant around the world, and is the single greatest source of anger. You may have heard that some people don't believe in a round Earth, or find that it is acceptable to stone someone to death for eloping. Find me a nation with no ignorance, no hatred, no poverty, and I will happily move in next door to you.

Guess I have to side with the haters on this one. While clearly not all, or even most, Muslims are terrorists, Ground Zero exists due to the actions of Muslims and was done in the name of Islam. If the Islamic community truly wants to reach out and show compassion, show it. We have an enormous nation, nearly 2.3 billion acres. Build somewhere else. Respect that we don't want to honor something two blocks away from the site that nearly 3,000 people died at the hands of followers of this faith. I'm not aware of any statues honoring U.S. nuclear achievements in Hiroshima.

I notice that you leave out any discussion about what nation leads the world in private donations to assisting in disasters or fighting disease and hunger across the globe. You certainly can't be ashamed of the advances that the United States has contributed to science and technology that improves lives around the world. Even in these difficult times, our poor still have a better standard of living than the middle class of much of the planet.

If there is anything that we have to be embarrassed about, it's the people that have so much here and yet are so unappreciative.
Very good point about the Spanish in America.

Listen, I lived in Japan for about 5 years. I was 12 years old when I moved. I lived on the base, and had NO NEED to learn Japanese. That said, I wanted to learn as much as possible so I could interact with the local population. I am more than grateful since my experience there was amazing and fulfilling.

So if you want to MOVE to this country, learn the language. Hell, the rest of the world takes English classes, why not people who live here?

Old 09-06-2010, 02:33 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Reminder to liberals: There are no cities completely off limits to members of other Religions like Mecca and Medina are to non muslim...

At european soccer games, people make racist chants and throw bananas at the black players..

Think about that before you rant about how horrible america is due to your liberal guilt.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshthegreat View Post
Very good point about the Spanish in America.

Listen, I lived in Japan for about 5 years. I was 12 years old when I moved. I lived on the base, and had NO NEED to learn Japanese. That said, I wanted to learn as much as possible so I could interact with the local population. I am more than grateful since my experience there was amazing and fulfilling.

So if you want to MOVE to this country, learn the language. Hell, the rest of the world takes English classes, why not people who live here?
Then make English the official language.

In New York City, there are subway signs in English, Spanish, French, Russian, Chinese, and Japanese. I enjoy being able to go to Chinatown and speak Chinese with the Natives or go into a certain area and only hear Japanese. I enjoy the linguistic diversity. Another thing I really enjoy is being able to find books in all the most popular languages.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyword View Post
Then make English the official language.

In New York City, there are subway signs in English, Spanish, French, Russian, Chinese, and Japanese. I enjoying being able to go to Chinatown and speak Chinese with the Natives or go into a certain area and only hear Japanese. I enjoy the linguistic diversity.

WAIT, you're the one who made this thread being embarrassed by Americans speaking English overseas...but you like linguistic diversity in America lol Typical liberalism.

You think we are dumb for doing one thing, you know....traveling and not learning the language of every country we visit.....but its COOL that people live in our country and do not know the language!? LOL

Old 09-06-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
WAIT, you're the one who made this thread being embarrassed by Americans speaking English overseas...but you like linguistic diversity in America lol Typical liberalism.

You think we are dumb for doing one thing, you know....traveling and not learning the language of every country we visit.....but its COOL that people live in our country and do not know the language!? LOL
Btw I'm not a Liberal <3.

The thing about speaking English overseas is that, the natives that they're talking to obviously doesn't understand so they slow it down as if that'll help.

Languages of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well technically you can speak and have communities in any language you want to in the United States. I honestly really don't mind.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:52 PM

19,824 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:

Actually, this thread was started by a 16 y/o, if that answers any questions.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:53 PM

But, that is something that made you mad, that American's did'nt learn their language. But you don't mind whole communities not speaking English in America. Dude, I don't care what your original intent of the thread was, that simply does not fit together. You must think negatively about the people speaking other languages in America as you do Americans speaking English in other countries......OR you don't mind either....?

Now, if you were to say that Americans EXPECT other people in countries to speak English, than I could give you that one...but lets define what you're saying a little better.

And you not being a liberal, GREAT for you( no really! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies