Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 02:37 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Who are any of YOU to dictate who is allowed to get married when both parties are over the age of 18 and are humans?
I'm a tax-payer, that's who I am, and it is my right to dictate that a woman cannot marry her German Shepard, that a bi-sexual man cannot marry another man AND a woman, and that neither two men nor two woman may marry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 02:51 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I'm a tax-payer, that's who I am, and it is my right to dictate that a woman cannot marry her German Shepard, that a bi-sexual man cannot marry another man AND a woman, and that neither two men nor two woman may marry.

Are you implying that Gay people are not Tax-payers?

You must be in the wrong country, North Korea has a Dictator. America is a Democracy. And when you try to enact laws that exclude certain members of society from having the same ability to pursue happiness, than that makes you UN-AMERICAN, UnPatriotic, and UnAttractive.

I don't believe there is a cause for 3 people to marry each other. That is the Utah forum.

Just because you do not like people with freckles, does not mean you have the right to decide that people with freckles are no longer able to get married to other people who have freckles. In your asinine attempt to eradicate Freckles from the face of the earth, you would be trampling on other American Citizens rights to marry, just as you have that right.

If you aren't careful, they will start taking away your guns.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:24 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Are you implying that Gay people are not Tax-payers?

You must be in the wrong country, North Korea has a Dictator. America is a Democracy. And when you try to enact laws that exclude certain members of society from having the same ability to pursue happiness, than that makes you UN-AMERICAN, UnPatriotic, and UnAttractive.

I don't believe there is a cause for 3 people to marry each other. That is the Utah forum.

Just because you do not like people with freckles, does not mean you have the right to decide that people with freckles are no longer able to get married to other people who have freckles. In your asinine attempt to eradicate Freckles from the face of the earth, you would be trampling on other American Citizens rights to marry, just as you have that right.

If you aren't careful, they will start taking away your guns.
I think you need to re-evaluate your comments.
1. gays are not taxpayers? Of course they are, but they are in the minority, AND, the gay marriage issue has been VOTED down every time it has come up.
2. Gay marriage was NEVER legal in the U.S. It has always been defined as one woman and one man. In fact, pres Clinton signed the (DOMA) defense of marriage act to clarify any mispreceptions. Apparantly that wasn't enough for liberal judges.
Here's some other food for thought
1. Most states do not allow gay marriage, AND many of them do not even recognize gay marriages from other states.
2. The DOMA act still applies, thus making the definition of marriage between a man and a woman. Those 5 or 6 states have isolated themselves from the rest of the U.S.

So, the people who are pro marriage are not taking away anything... they are simply standing up for THE LAW, and also GODS LAW!

Old 09-14-2010, 04:41 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constitutionalist View Post
it seems to me whenever the ultra left can demogog christians they dont hesitate to do so why is this? i am talking about the ultra left i know plenty of democrats that are good christians, it just seems to me this progresive wing of the democrat party and the left media have no problem putting christians down.
Ditto the ultra right-wingers who insult and embarrass everything Christians ever stood for through their actions and prejudices. These are the Bible-thumping, in-your-face clowns who insist that the entire world must think and behave exactly as they do. They would be much happier living in a theocracy such as the ones in Iran and Afghanistan. where the government legislates morality.

Not a dime's difference in them. Fortunately the Framers envisioned such people and headed them off at the pass with separation of church and state.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:46 PM

13 posts, read 16,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Moses led the people out of Egypt and away from....slavery.
Good point. Unfortunately for your argument, the Bible has sufficient evidence to prove that slavery was permissible under God's laws. In fact, the Bible goes so far as to set out rules governing slavery and the slave trade.

For example, "[i]f you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go out as a free man without payment. ... But if the slave plainly says, 'I love my master, my wife and my children; I will not go out as a free man,' then his master shall bring him to God, then he shall bring him to the door or the doorpost. And his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him permanently." Exodus, 21:2.

This passage (from the same book where Moses leads the people out of Egypt and away from ... slavery) not only says that slavery is OK, but also says that enslaving a Hebrew is OK. So, Moses was leading people out of slavery to be subject to laws that envisioned enslaving them.

Quote:
Heavy handed people put more people right back into that situation. Do you really want to know what I think of people? Don't ask, don't tell....
I don't know what this means. But I do know this ... Don't mess with Texas.

Quote:
Did you read the material from the link? Did you do a comparison with the Bible and the Bill of Rights? If so, what did you see wrong with what the author had to say?
I'm not sure. I think the issue is simply that mere correlation between the Bible and the Bill of Rights is insufficient evidence to conclude that the United States Constitution contemplates a Christian ethos.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:48 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Ditto the ultra right-wingers who insult and embarrass everything Christians ever stood for through their actions and prejudices. These are the Bible-thumping, in-your-face clowns who insist that the entire world must think and behave exactly as they do.

Not a dime's difference in them.
good point cue

Notice that the "moderate" democrats or the "moderate" republcans are struggling to gain any political points. I'm all for compromise, but the moderates are going to have to pick a side if they want to survive. Thats just the way it is! So, when the conservatives have the momentum (like we do now in 2010) then you will see more "ultra right wingers" making waves. Just like we saw in 2006/2008 with the dems.
I think it's up to the moderates to control the extremists... but, waiting until an election is too late
It is like cramming before a test, it rarely works

Old 09-14-2010, 04:50 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Nothing wrong with pointing out barbarism in other nations. Thank God we don't get hauled away to a gulag for being of the wrong religion or criticizing the "dear leader".

There are ample programs to help the poor (private and public).

I guess you would prefer honor killings of women like in Iran or Afghanistan?

Are subject to being taken in by the state and cared for.

I don't know of any Americans dying of hunger. Food stamps exist for the poor. And, why are poor people fat then?

Your points are the perfect illustration of the pathology of Leftism. Love the weak and hate the strong. Because America is strong it is to be reviled and all of its problems are to have a spotlight shown upon it. But, other nations or any entity or group seen as not having power is given a pass. It is just as stupid and dogmatic as Rightism.
You might want to take off your blinders.
These things happen, in the US.
Didn't bother reading any of the links I provided, I see.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:46 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I think you need to re-evaluate your comments.
1. gays are not taxpayers? Of course they are, but they are in the minority, AND, the gay marriage issue has been VOTED down every time it has come up.
Oh so if you are in the minority, your rights don't matter. Because the majority is always right? WRONG!

Once upon a time in the USA- Black, Native American, Latino, Women, and Asian citizens were not allowed to vote.

Once upon a time Women were not allowed to own land.

Once upon a time People who were in love but were of different nationalities were not allowed to marry.

Are you saying that when the majority of Americans wanted all of these things, they were RIGHT? That is was OK to deny people their rights just because the masses said so? No, they were completely wrong.

Quote:
So, the people who are pro marriage are not taking away anything... they are simply standing up for THE LAW, and also GODS LAW!
Does GOD vote? No? This is not a religious country. Sorry but Separation of Church and State takes ALL.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
We have a lot of rights in this country, but NONE of them is the 'right to dictate' ANYTHING. Have you never learned that your rights end at that point where they infringe on the rights of another? You have the right to say you disapprove, but you do not have the right to interfere.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:28 AM

37,176 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
There is an issue here with what two (or more) consenting ADULTS should be able to do. A German shepherd cannot give its consent to a relationship, nor can a minor child. Anything that two (or more) consenting adults want to do should be completely legal.

If you want to live in an uber-right wing dictatorship or a theocracy, may I suggest to you that you might find happiness in Iran or Afghanistan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies