Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 06:00 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
Married dude, you need to go to San Francisco.
I mean const outside hard work. the only people I can find dont speak english or want to work off the books so they can keep their unemployment. sorry about your last gig, glad your still married after that. tell me more about SF did you like it there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 08:07 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I'm quite certain I've not suggested that the unemployed live the Good Life.

However, at some point, any job is going to have to do and not just a good job, or a job in someone's are of previous expertise.

At some point, and my position all along has been, 99 weeks is more than enough, the unemployed are going to have to stop expecting the taxpayers as a whole to support them and their families.

Things are bad now, very bad for some. However, if the rumblings are correct this economy could be getting a whole lot worse for all of us, for many years to come.

It is not that I don't have empathy for the unemployed, I do.
Believe me, I understand there but for the grace of God go I.
However, the longer the unemployed protest for others to support them financially, specifically as these 99+weekers are, the less empathy I have.

I have friends and family of my own whom I choose to lend support while they are unemployed. I sure as heck don't need the government telling me I have to do more for everyone else than I do already. Enough of the entitlements already.

Harsh comparison but: when a drowning person threatens the life of someone who is trying to help them, at some point the rescuer has to make a choice if he/she is going to live or if they are both going to die. I choose to live. Some people are going to have to save themselves because the small percentage of taxpayers left in this country can't continue to be held responsible to save everyone elses backside who has fallen upon hard times.

And no truckdriver33, it is not self-centered and all about us. There are plenty of us who choose to give through our local charities or to those we know in these same circumstances and would rather not have the government continue to rob us at gun point for more.
Should the average working american be the one who decides 99 weeks is enough ?

The layoffs continue : Fed Ex 1,700.

Your company could be next .

If many companies are laying off ( and they are ) please add all the people who cannot find work since 2008-2009 and add all the people that will be layed off in 2010-2011.

There is a REASON that the extensions have come into place. Through statistical analysis putting the REAL UE rate at near 20 % in some high unemployment states.

You could be from North Dakota for example. You could have 4.5 % . You might be in California where its 12.% ( not sure of the exact rate there but I think I am close )

The point is . Opinions and people throwing around the word * lazy * is not the true measure of unemployment.

I could type 6 paragraphs about what I have seen , shopping centers closing , businesses closing ( and STILL closing ) strip malls empty with FOR LEASE signs , jobs dissapearing and reappearing in India where the pay is significantly LESS than it is here.....Welcome to the NEW way to treat employees by abandoning your company to get workers cheaper in a foreign country....
its pretty rampant.

When UE is gone , its gone. Instead of people focusing on who is lazy and who does not deserve it , focus on helping them to survive by showing some understanding and if you can help them , even a meal for those who choose rent , food , rent , food , rent , food ? Which one should I pick ?

Stop the madness of making people feel so low that already do. ( Not saying you do that but behind you there are plenty ready to pass their opinions.

A year from now gauranteed SOME of those bashing and pointing fingers will ALSO be in the SAME predicament and deciding : Rent or Food ? Water Bill or Lights , Which one should I pay ?

Please people have compassion.

This country is in serious trouble.

Work with your neighbor . Don't try to tie him to a tree and lynch him because he is on UE and you are lucky and I stress LUCKY to have a full time job ? ( PT , do you still have insurance , many don't anymore )

The country is NOT 1988, it does not operate or function like it did then.

Banks crashed. Business went away . People filed BK more prevalent that EVER before !

Open up your heart for you may be standing in the SAME 3 hour line and SAME 4 hour wait on the UE phone lines. Its not pleasant....

Old 09-18-2010, 08:20 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
MSN Careers - 7 Industries in Need of Workers Now - Career Advice Article

How about finding work in these industries? Are any 99 weekers originally from these industries or tried to go into these industries? It might take some additional training or paid apprenticeships but definitely a worthwhile investment.

Funny that engineering is coming back. Lots of engineers who graduated 5-10 years ago could not find jobs and ended up in the finance/service sector. LOL. I'm sure they have lost all of their skills by now. Shows where the American people's priorities are. I mean obviously you aren't gonna be able to take 4 years to become an engineer when you have no source of income, so it's not necessarily a realistic choice.

Plumbing, electrical, healthcare - I totally dig that these are real skilled jobs making a comeback. Notice the article says there is a lack of talent to fill these spots. Better grab one before the immigrants decide to do it first! The other things listed here like education, automotive, and service, I'm not too sold on. Transportation, I'm not even sure what that entails but sounds good.
What were the article's authors smoking? Demand for engineers is still in the basement. Skilled construction workers are in ample supply and are having a rough time finding work. Truck driving may finally be coming back but there are plenty of out-of-work truck drivers. In Chicago, even teachers have been laid off.

Last edited by pvande55; 09-18-2010 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Add comment.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:23 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
how come I have survived for the last 2 years without unemployment? because as a self employed carpenter I cant collect it so I have to hustle work to eat. not a big problem really. my industry has been hit hard but I always find enough work. guess if I was collecting I wouldn't find as much. thats life live your own and leave mine alone

Old 09-19-2010, 01:52 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
What were the article's authors smoking? Demand for engineers is still in the basement. Skilled construction workers are in ample supply and are having a rough time finding work. Truck driving may finally be coming back but there are plenty of out-of-work truck drivers. In Chicago, even teachers have been laid off.
It's too bad the authors are smoking crack. It sounded too good to be true.

I think construction will never really make a full recovery, but to me this appears to be separate from electrical/plumbing/carpentry jobs? A lot of construction need to be updated (rewired or re-piped), but not necessarily rebuilt.

Teachers here are still getting laid off, so I'm not sure why that was mentioned in the article. I guess it is one of those fluff pieces trying to give false hope.

Tonight, drove by a few blocks filled with hundreds of homeless people sleeping in the streets, in tents and in sleeping bags.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:54 AM

613 posts, read 960,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I mean const outside hard work. the only people I can find dont speak english or want to work off the books so they can keep their unemployment. sorry about your last gig, glad your still married after that. tell me more about SF did you like it there
Alot of people here thought the same from your post. I don't know bout you, weird. From outta no where your post that? Doubt you really work hard, just my opinion.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
I would rather have humility and compassion for people than your money and white ivory tower any day. I have what I need because I was fortunate, worked hard and had a good upbringing. There are millions of people born into the world who are not as fortunate me. I have compassion for these people because that could be me. I have seen your type so many times, your the one sitting at the end of the bar, bout 70 years old drinking your life away because you wasted it on yourself and had no compassion for the less fortunate. This will be your demise.
Go ahead and ask me how much I give to charity before you talk down to me about compassion. Those with the most money have the potential to give the most back. American unemployed do NOT need my charity (they can eat every day already). Starving lower class people in third world countries need my charity so that they can eat enough to live through the night.

You obviously don't know my type. You just see someone who works hard, takes responsibility for themselves instead of asking for help at every turn and assume they are cold and selfish. You are simply incorrect.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:05 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Go ahead and ask me how much I give to charity before you talk down to me about compassion. Those with the most money have the potential to give the most back. American unemployed do NOT need my charity (they can eat every day already). Starving lower class people in third world countries need my charity so that they can eat enough to live through the night.
Not that I disagree with this..but isnt it ironic how those same starving lower class people in third world countries are the ones whom those with the most money exploit for cheap labor?...talk about charity.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:03 PM

613 posts, read 960,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Not that I disagree with this..but isnt it ironic how those same starving lower class people in third world countries are the ones whom those with the most money exploit for cheap labor?...talk about charity.
So as we send billions in aid to all these third world countries, we are not suppose to take care of our own? Our taxes paid for all that aid and thats alright but lets not take that money and give to the hard working unemployed who have lost their job by no fault of the own. GOT IT.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:58 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Have you ever applied for loans for school? I have gone through the process for undergrad and grad school. Getting loans (even when unemployed) is VERY easy. In fact, the federal government is one of those lenders who will loan money to the unemployed for school.

At least know the process of something before bashing me for it. Tell me this, would an unemployed person work harder to get a job (put in 15-16 hour days, 6 days per week like one should to find a job) if they had unemployment income or if they did not?

If you can, with a straight face, tell me someone would work that hard to find a job with or without unemployment income, I will apologize. The fact is this, most unemployed people do NOT spend that much time job hunting, and paying them money to be unemployed is doing nothing but reward that laziness.

And when you bash my knowledge of economics, what school of economic theory are you debating from? I am just curious, since you apparently have studied it in detail.
I am working seven days a week to find a job and I have unemployment income. I do take an occasional break to rest and keep my sanity but that's about it. My unemployment income is a lousy $240 a week and I am stuck living with parents.

I have also signed up for career counseling services at local workforce development center. I had my resume redone professionally for free. I also qualified for some counseling services for help with my job search. I will be taking advantage of all of these programs. Plus, I really, really need to change careers.

Yes, obtaining government loans is easy. I just found out I qualified for some. McDonalds and Home Depot also have tuition assistance.

I wish more of the unemployed would spend time lobbying for jobs. We should be protesting the number of jobs shipped overseas. Millions have lost jobs to India and China. If we see a store that sells a lot of Chinese goods, why not write a complaint to the company? We should be protesting the importation of cheap foreign labor. Why so many H1B visas and illegal immigrants when we have 15 million people out of work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies