Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:46 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It's not Obama's fault that the states and businesses misspend the taxpayers' money. Why do you blame him for it?

Why do you think "trickledown economics" was a good idea?! Even the people who invented the phrase knew it was a sham and a trick. Even D Stockman admitted it was all just a ploy to get more $ into the rich's pockets. Why would you defend this? Are you from Oklahoma, or Texas?
You're point is well taken. Federal money, my taxes, should NOT be used to fix roads in a state because that state didn't didn't do the job they are responsible for. Every state has transportation and other taxes paid by the people of that state to take care of its own infrastructure.

Their failure is not my problem. Obama should NOT bail them out with my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Wasn't Porkulus supposed to do this?

Officials: Obama to back infrastructure spending - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_economy - broken link)
"Shovel ready", says it all.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You're point is well taken. Federal money, my taxes, should NOT be used to fix roads in a state because that state didn't didn't do the job they are responsible for. Every state has transportation and other taxes paid by the people of that state to take care of its own infrastructure.

Their failure is not my problem. Obama should NOT bail them out with my money.
But the states' infrastructure costs are always helped by fed funds. It would be great if real life worked the way it should on paper, or in a comic book.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:54 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:

Officials: Obama to back infrastructure spending - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_economy - broken link)
Tax and Spend it's a genetic defect...they can't help it.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:09 AM

783 posts, read 815,095 times
Quote:
"Porkulus," did you make that up yourself? Or were you just misled by your leaders into believing Obama spends/earmarks the stimulus money himself personally?

(Don't bother answering )

Now the majority of the $787 billion isn't pork. Indeed, tax relief alone makes up some 34 percent of the bill. Where you might find the pork is in the so-called discretionary spending portion of the bill, which amount to $308 billion, according to the Congressional Budget Office. Of that money, $48 billion goes to the Department of Transportation for various rail and road projects to repair and expand infrastructure. That leaves about $260 billion of discretionary spending that goes to various federal agencies, as well as to state and local governments. How much of that amount helps special interests instead of the economy as a whole? That depends, of course, on what you consider a special interest. But decide for yourself. Here is a list of some of the most controversial individual pieces of discretionary spending that might have the pleasant taste of pork.

Finding the Pork in the Obama Stimulus Bill - US News and World Report

From your own article (did you even read it?):
Obama made infrastructure investments a central part of the $814 billion stimulus Congress passed last year, but with that spending winding down, the economy's growth has slowed. Officials said this infrastructure package differs from the stimulus because it's aimed at long-term growth, while still focusing on creating jobs in the short-term.

....Labor Secretary Hilda Solis said the plan Obama was to unveil Monday would "put construction workers, welders, electricians back to work ... folks that have been unemployed for a long time."

"Wary of the public's concern over rising deficits, the administration insists a second stimulus plan, similar to last year's $814 billion bill, is not in the works."
Large part of last years stimulus had inefficent tax cuts that has slowed investment and employment money from those tax cuts have gone to savings rather than to consumer spending the economy needs tangible public investments rather than tax cuts in order to stimulate employment and income growth.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:13 AM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Even if we had a strong economy with jobs for everyone (which we clearly do not) there are a lot of infrastructure needs. The society for civil engineers notes that roads and bridges across the nation are in bad shape and need attention. Do we need more events like the I-35 bridge collapse in Minnesota?
Most people are so short sighted that they forgot about the bridge collapse. Some call are failing infrastructure our biggest threat. It does need to be addressed but man, I would have prioritized it ahead of healthcare.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:13 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
The interstate highway system was built by big government.

Government collects taxes for any commerce moving along those roadways. Taxes and fees collected are sent to Washington and in turn a pittance is sent back to the states for maintenance of them.

Has anyone ever seen 15 guys filling in a 1' x 6" deep pothole? How much went for the pothole? How much went to union labor?

The Fed should be responsible for the national highway system, but responsible use of the funds is nonexistent.

States should be responsible for state highways.

Cities and towns should be responsible for theirs.

Farmers, you are on your own....unless you can get a lawyer to sue the government on your behalf.

Simple like that.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:27 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,561 times
Quote:
It's not Obama's fault that the states and businesses misspend the taxpayers' money. Why do you blame him for it?
Quote:

Why do you think "trickledown economics" was a good idea?! Even the people who invented the phrase knew it was a sham and a trick. Even D Stockman admitted it was all just a ploy to get more $ into the rich's pockets. Why would you defend this? Are you from Oklahoma, or Texas?
You’re right it is their responsibility too. Who delegated the federal stimulus money, surely not the States. Someone needs to be held accountable for the distribution of this money. But if ambiguous wording is used in the distribution of the money then it will never be accounted for. I don’t blame Obama the man I blame government and its lack of accountability.

Also, I do not believe trickledown economics is a “good” idea nor do I see it as bad. It has its flaws too but in favor of the people and not government. I’m sure you and I differ on this but here are my two bits; who will spend more money, a successful business or a failing one?
Who will buy more products, an employed citizen or an unemployed one?

IMO, trickledown economics and stimulus are quite similar in function but different in results. The stimulus money hits the pockets of those who do not contribute to the economic engine, the first to receive do not seek future profits only day by day. Bigger business (independent) cannot survive on day by day mentality it has to plan ahead, plan for future profits, plan to get rich. Government business plans to wait till government hands out the next payday; the money cycle stops there.
The stimulus law hands out money without a plan to build more of it. It’s a great waste of time, effort and money.

I hardly believe you asking me where I’m from is of any importance other than to attempt to discredit my opinion. Not to mention your failed attempt to imply I defend a ploy to get more money into the rich’s pockets; even if I did that is not a bad thing, it is bad to remove money from anyone rich or poor.
Where are you from, San Francisco (rhetorical)?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:31 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:

Your original thesis is wrong ... a drunken sailor spends his own money !

Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Your original thesis is wrong ... a drunken sailor spends his own money !

Good point! My apologies to all the ex-navy folks on the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies