Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:21 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,282,197 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the problem is lawyers. Good ole civil libility cropping up its ugly head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 05:45 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,795,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Sounds like the problem is uniformity.

Which is a problem that you run into all over any given state over a lot and I mean a LOT of stuff. So, they will have to get with the program if it is passed.
OK I can go along with the "note from a parent" thing. I don't have a problem with that although I don't think it is really necessary. But I am not about to take a kid to a doctor so they can take a Tylenol or apply SPF before going outside. These people seem to get STUPIDER every year.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,795,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Parents should take their children for yearly checkups regardless. During these checkups, notes can easily be obtained without any additional expense. Same goes for the physicals required for kids to participate in school sports programs.

This thread is a non-issue.
If the kid is not sick, he or she does not need to see a doctor. He is not a car that needs a yearly maintenance schedule or the oil changed every 3000 miles. Doctors are expensive and busy with people who really ARE sick. If you take a healthy child to a doctor's office, God only knows what all the other kids in the waiting room who are wailing and coughing have that your child is exposed to. I never took mine unless they were sick or when one of them need a physical to play ball. Except for my 3rd youngest who had asthma, doctor visits were rare.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 PM

4,565 posts, read 4,112,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If the kid is not sick, he or she does not need to see a doctor. He is not a car that needs a yearly maintenance schedule or the oil changed every 3000 miles. Doctors are expensive and busy with people who really ARE sick. If you take a healthy child to a doctor's office, God only knows what all the other kids in the waiting room who are wailing and coughing have that your child is exposed to. I never took mine unless they were sick or when one of them need a physical to play ball. Except for my 3rd youngest who had asthma, doctor visits were rare.
Actually. There are enough subtle problems that can be caught early through thorough yearly checkups that kids should be going in yearly. So should adults. Waiting until something goes wrong is going to be much more costly.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:24 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,159,247 times
I'd like to point out that Maryland is a thoroughly DEMOCRATIC State with a long history of liberal idiocy.

It's your ideology. Now you get to live with the consequences.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:31 PM

38,065 posts, read 22,226,100 times
Quote:
I was actually shocked to find out that stupidity seems to be contagious. Now schools have went beyond requiring you to have a doctors note to have prescriptions. Now if your child sunburns and needs sun screen, you much take your child to a doctor to get a note so he or she can apply sunscreen when going outside for recess or Phys Ed. And stupid Americans wonder why medical cost are so high. When I was in school, we did not have any such non sense. You could carry asprin, caffine or any over the counter medication. And Copper Tone was not even an issue. What next? A prescription for chapstick?

Bill Would Legislate Maryland Students' Use of Sunscreen (washingtonpost.com)
Maybe the schools are acting like this for fear of parental litigation. One reason for high health care costs is the slip and fall lawyer lobby.

I always go back to this article i read in a Reader's Digest twenty years ago. The author wrote the article after noticing the heavy gauged, wax-coated cardboard box he was using had stenciled a warning next to the handhold cutouts that read "Warning, Not To Be Used As Handholds". Ii was an orange crate, and of course the cutouts were to be used as handholds to load the boxes on/off trucks... and then it hit him. Some idiot would leave the box out in the rain, load it up with 30 lbs of firewood, and when the firewood fell thru the rain-soaked cardboard box onto his bare foot, he would sue the box manufacturer for putting handholds in an unsafe box. All because our legal system does not take into account the common sense factor of a wet box - equals a weaker box, and hence unsafe to haul firewood.

Last edited by Wapasha; 09-07-2010 at 08:41 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,930,380 times
Quote:
OK I can go along with the "note from a parent" thing. I don't have a problem with that although I don't think it is really necessary. But I am not about to take a kid to a doctor so they can take a Tylenol or apply SPF before going outside. These people seem to get STUPIDER every year.
The daycare forms that our office gets do ask about sunscreen in addition to many other things, e.g. height, weight, BP, etc. One signature takes care of it all. Specific meds do need a separate dr's sig. What if the child is allergic to Tylenol and a well-meaning teacher gives him/her some?

You don't have to take your kid to the doc to get these signatures. Most parents just mail or fax the forms in, or they bring them along at the annual physical. We also ask at the annual if they need any such forms, though some who think their kid will never go to daycare seem to enroll them the next week!

Old 09-07-2010, 10:01 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,042,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
this is what is known as dumbing down society. only a doctor can prescribe anything medical these days regardless of what common sense says.
that's mostly all doctors do anyway is prescribe so they get their kickbacks. half the nation is on drugs they dont need and the side effects are making them sicker and killing them. me I stay far away from them, and I aint paying no stinkin fine either

Old 09-07-2010, 10:12 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,479,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Parents should take their children for yearly checkups regardless. During these checkups, notes can easily be obtained without any additional expense. Same goes for the physicals required for kids to participate in school sports programs.

This thread is a non-issue.
OK, so which part of OTC do you not understand. Sunscreen is not a medically regulated substance. Nor does tylenol. Or band-aids. Also, since I am not a complete moron and use common sense I wouldn't even start to think that my child would need a perscription for something as innocuous as sunscreen.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
this is what is known as dumbing down society. only a doctor can prescribe anything medical these days regardless of what common sense says.
Agreed. Can't tell you how many people are wasting tax payer money coming to my ED asking for school notes for their kids who have the sniffles. When I was in school, my mom's note was good enough. Now you have to have a doctor's note. What a bunch of crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies