Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:28 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,713,689 times

Advertisements

I was actually shocked to find out that stupidity seems to be contagious. Now schools have went beyond requiring you to have a doctors note to have prescriptions. Now if your child sunburns and needs sun screen, you much take your child to a doctor to get a note so he or she can apply sunscreen when going outside for recess or Phys Ed. And stupid Americans wonder why medical cost are so high. When I was in school, we did not have any such non sense. You could carry asprin, caffine or any over the counter medication. And Copper Tone was not even an issue. What next? A prescription for chapstick?

Bill Would Legislate Maryland Students' Use of Sunscreen (washingtonpost.com)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 09:34 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,885,317 times
Utter stupidity .....

"If you had a very young kid, and they put it in their eyes, it could hurt them," said Judith Covich, Montgomery's director of health and student services.

The could stick a pencil or pen into their eyes too ... lets ban them from school too.

Any other suggestions for items that should be banned from schools?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:43 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,359,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Utter stupidity .....
That's SOP for government.

Quote:
The could stick a pencil or pen into their eyes too ... lets ban them from school too.
My company us sooooooooooo safety focused, they are truly ANAL. I called a co-worker and asked if he got the 'memo' about just the pen, pencil, paperclip and staple 'ban'. He bought it hook line and sinker.

Quote:
Any other suggestions for items that should be banned from schools?
Yes, do illegal immigrants count?

Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
That is precisely why parents must get invlved in ruig their schools and not expect edcuatrs to make the decisons. Elect then hold accoutnable administrators to account for such decisions. In school districts where parents excert thier power by vote and voice this doesn't happen.Toase were parents are elad by the nose by lwaders instead of voicing oppostion is what causes such nonsense policies.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:02 AM

25,956 posts, read 24,675,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Utter stupidity .....

"If you had a very young kid, and they put it in their eyes, it could hurt them," said Judith Covich, Montgomery's director of health and student services.

Then again, sun screen in the eyes makes expensive sunglasses obsolete

Old 09-06-2010, 11:05 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,214,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I was actually shocked to find out that stupidity seems to be contagious. Now schools have went beyond requiring you to have a doctors note to have prescriptions. Now if your child sunburns and needs sun screen, you much take your child to a doctor to get a note so he or she can apply sunscreen when going outside for recess or Phys Ed. And stupid Americans wonder why medical cost are so high. When I was in school, we did not have any such non sense. You could carry asprin, caffine or any over the counter medication. And Copper Tone was not even an issue. What next? A prescription for chapstick?

Sounds like the problem is uniformity.

Quote:
Four school systems require a doctor's order for students to apply sunscreen. Eleven require at least a parent's note. Eight systems require students to leave the product with the school health officer. Rules can vary from school to school within each system.
Which is a problem that you run into all over any given state over a lot and I mean a LOT of stuff. So, they will have to get with the program if it is passed.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:05 AM

4,526 posts, read 4,076,373 times
This is probably because some parent who can't teach their kid how to be responsible (because they themselves aren't) tried to sue a school for putting sunscreen on a kid vs letting the kid burn and the lawyer got her a big settlement.

For every stupid law thats written. There is an even stupider person who did something making the law necessary in someone elses eyes.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:10 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,753,611 times
Quote:

Parents should take their children for yearly checkups regardless. During these checkups, notes can easily be obtained without any additional expense. Same goes for the physicals required for kids to participate in school sports programs.

This thread is a non-issue.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:51 AM

58,749 posts, read 27,080,924 times
Quote:

Another reason I left Maryland. The dems want to control every part of your life.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
this is what is known as dumbing down society. only a doctor can prescribe anything medical these days regardless of what common sense says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies