Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Tax cuts. The poor and declining quality of education nationally proves that throwing money at it doesn't improve it. The US spends much more on education than most other countries and we're not seeing improvements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 10:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
The more the Fed spends on education, the lower the bar gets set.
Since No Child is Left Behind, the bar is lowered to the lowest level so EVERYONE passes.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:11 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
why cuts taxes reducing revenue when we are already broke? austerity and oil independence is the correct path. education is too expensive we dont need more debt we need cheap VE and trade jobs. good nuf for our grandfathers. stop exporting jobs and and importing illegals willing to do trade jobs.
Read a little history. Every time taxes were reduced, revenues increased.
It's the spending.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:20 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
The question fails to address the underlying issue: WHY should anyone be compelled to labor for the benefit of another?

Paying a tax that is for a public good - that all use - is one thing.
Paying a tax that is for someone else's good, but not your good, is another thing.

It is an abuse of government power to coerce people into involuntary servitude.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The problem with that logic is no one agrees what is the money spend for the public good really.Someone thinks that servitude is what someone else thinks is the public good.Thus politics and elections are a choice of which better suits your believes.The of course politics after that is defined as the art of compromise.That is why politics of specail interest in both parties corrupt them.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Often with a bad economy, this choice has to be made. So what is more important, and why?
Education is by far the best investment this country can make in its future. If we don't invest in education and improve the quality of our schools we will fall farther behind in terms of global competitiveness and technical innovation.

I just read an article about Brazil recently where it specifically mentioned that its opportunity for future economic growth were being limited by the lack of an educated population. Keep in mind this one of the fastest growing economies in the world in the past decade.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:52 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
i'll go with the tax cut crowd. people have been getting edjumacated for hundreds of years, frequently without the assist of taxes. seems as though before there were taxes the freemasons were establishing schools for free education. once the public theft has ended the public will figure out the best method to educate the kids. Teachers can invest in 401k's and draw SS as easily as I can.

No school, anywhere, for any reason needs a building that cost $578million bucks.

None.
I am not sure which side this poster is on with the errors in spelling and grammer. It is sarcastic or serious?

Old 09-06-2010, 01:55 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Often with a bad economy, this choice has to be made.
Why is that? I never heard of such a thing (choosing between tax cuts and education) in a bad economy. When has it happened?

Old 09-06-2010, 02:01 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why is that? I never heard of such a thing (choosing between tax cuts and education) in a bad economy. When has it happened?
Me either. Anyway "investing in education" is just a euphemism for "giving gobs of money to to the NEA so they can donate to our campaigns". It has nothing to do with education.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:09 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Actaully the spending increases in education haven't been productive because money can not solve its problems. Spending cuts have to be made all aorund and money spent wiser in every area or the whole nation will suffer in coming decades.Educators have been terrible about running the budget of schools and we need much more businesss educated administrtors running the schools. The teachers need to be employees and those that can't make the grade gotten rid of.
Great point. I think most of the replies to this post have been good. The 2 problems with the original question (tax cuts or education) is
1. We assume that tax cuts = less money for education. This is not necessarily true. How do we know where those taxes are going? I don't trust pelosi & Reid with my $$$
2. We assume that the more money we spend on education = a better education. Again, not true! We just have to think outside the box, and spend a little smarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies