Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:02 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It is the left that is attempting to re-interpret the 14th amendment to apply to the children of illegal aliens who happen to drop onto American soil (a.k.a. anchor babies). The 14th amendment was specifically created to deal with the recently freed slaves and their children and to make them citizens following the war between the states.
Then your a little late on the ball here. The roots of that interpretation go as far back as the 19th century in cases such as Wong Kim Ark. Where the person in question was born to Chinese citizens in California who later returned with him to China. Despite all this according to the 14th amendment the court ruled he was still a US citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 02:15 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Second Ammendment is in the Constitution, please point out where abortion is in there?
The 2nd Amendment is a part of what we call the Bill of Rights but is known as the Federal Limitations. The Constitution is a contract. An 'effin' contract, folks.

Once upon a time, the Bill of Rights did not apply to you or to me. Over time much of it has been what is called Incorporated and NOW apply to you and I. Some parts still haven't been. In fact, the 2nd wasn't incorporated until this summer.

My right to have an abortion is found in what we call as the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

If you don't like abortions, don't have them. If you want to make sure that no one is having abortions safely, then get an amendment.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
The 2nd Amendment is a part of what we call the Bill of Rights but is known as the Federal Limitations. The Constitution is a contract. An 'effin' contract, folks.

Once upon a time, the Bill of Rights did not apply to you or to me. Over time much of it has been what is called Incorporated and NOW apply to you and I. Some parts still haven't been. In fact, the 2nd wasn't incorporated until this summer.

My right to have an abortion is found in what we call as the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

If you don't like abortions, don't have them. If you want to make sure that no one is having abortions safely, then get an amendment.
Immigration | LII / Legal Information Institute

Old 09-07-2010, 03:53 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I am a descendent of William Bradford. The odds are that my family has been here longer than yours. But, I brought you some toilet paper, I can see you let a little dribble out of the corners of your mouth.

By the way, you never did say where you get the Right to Privacy from, did you?

Old 09-07-2010, 04:30 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
I'm not sure how true this is - not saying your lying - but there must have been a loop hole your friend got around. My sister's insurance won't cover her because her asthma is a pre-existing condition as of age 2. She's now 28.
Yep. The ONLY way I can get insurance coverage is through my employer. Period. I have been denied by every single insurance carrier out there because of my genetic disorder.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:44 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
the 4th.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:07 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah because it's only guns that kill people, not that people or other weapons do.
Guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:11 PM

37 posts, read 42,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
If liberals truly were pro-choice, they would support the rights of individual states to choose whether or not they want abortion to be legal, and if so, how easily accessible, as is guaranteed by the 10th Amendment. Likewise they would respect the states' rights to choose whether or not they want to recognize homosexual marriage.

If liberals truly were pro-choice, they would support a state's right to choose to secure its own borders, especially when drug cartels are running rampant through the state and federal government failed to do anything about it.

If liberals truly were pro-choice, they would support your right to choose whether or not to donate money to the poor, which groups to donate money to, and how much money to donate.

If liberals truly were pro-choice, they would support your right to choose whether or not to purchase health insurance, and if so, what type of health insurance to purchase.

If liberals truly were pro-choice, they would support the right of a private financial institution to choose not to lend someone money, who they know would never be able to pay it back, irregardless of their race, creed, gender, etc.

If liberals truly were pro-choice, they would support the right of Americans to choose not to have a Mosque built on the grave of 3,000 innocent people slaughtered in the name of Allah.

If liberals truly were pro-choice, they would support your right to choose whether or not to fund stem cell research.

If liberals truly were pro-choice, they would support your right to choose to send your children to private school.

If liberals truly were pro-choice, they would support your right to choose not to join their corrupt labor unions.

If liberals truly were pro-choice, they would support your right to choose not to vote for them, rather than steal elections when the vote isn't in their favor.

If liberals truly were pro-choice, they would support your right to choose what type of engine you want in your car, what type of light bulbs you want in your lights, what kind of toilet you want in your bathroom, what kind of showerhead you want in your shower, etc.

If liberals truly were pro-choice, they would respect your decision to choose not to be a liberal.
You clearly don't understand what pro choice means in the context of American politics. I'll give you a quick lesson, when 99% of people, both on the left and right talk about pro choice, they are talking about abortion rights. No mention about any of the other issues you discussed. The rest of your post makes no sense.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:11 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,898 times
TK, people with guns also don't kill people.

Take that!

/sarcasm

Win, the OP knows that. He or she just likes to rant.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:16 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheLookout View Post
One of the fallicies of the whole pro-choice thing is that the desires and wishes of the father are completely ignored. If the woman wants to terminate her pregnancy then everyone is up in arms about a woman's right to choose. That's fine, but what if the father wants to keep the baby? Also, say if the mother wants to keep the baby but the father doesn't, then again it's all about her right to choose, and when the baby is born (God bless it) the father has a legal obligation to support the baby.

Thoughts?
Regarding the first scenario:

When they achieve the first fetus transplant, or they create a machine that can incubate the fetus like they do with eggs, then the father will have every right in the world to fight his rights.

At that point, I suggest the father find/hire an "incubator" (human or machine) willing to carry the fetus until it becomes able to thrive on it's own (about 22 weeks along).

Unfortunately, his rights directly involve forcing another human being to do something to their body that is against their will. Just like when Your right to try have sex with a woman, interferes with her right to not WANT to have sex with you.

Second scenario:

He already participated in the act that achieves conception. He had a right to use a condom, get a contract for both parties to sign saying he would not be responsible for the result of his actions, or to not have sex with a "wild card".

If he does not want the fetus to achieve human status, he probably should have considered his option prior to taking part in the event.

Again, making her have an abortion because he is "not ready" would be forcing another person to have a medical procedure done on her body because of his wants. You have no "Right" to forcibly impose your will onto others, and since he cannot carry the fetus himself. He is left as a silent partner in the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies