Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 06:26 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
That means agreeing with virtually everything he does.
Actually, no. It doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:05 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So let me get this right. Because Americans use -ize, -er endings, and cut out the a in words like encyclopedia, tyre to tire, and cut the u out of words like colour,etc. among others, that they are not as articulate of you? Sounds like you are just another brown-nosed elitist liberal intellectual.

I hate that too, especially with the trendy shops in Manhattan and the like using British spelling to look cosmopolitan, and not dirty stinky redneck American. Gotta love liberals and their shame of being American
It is not my fault that many Americans fail to grasp basic educational training in the use of proper English. But I am hardly surprised because we were unable to grasp the Metric system too which is relatively easy to learn and use. And I was raised in a working class neighbourhood and educated in a public school. I just cannot figure it out. And I am hardly an intellectual although I am liberal. I work outside in the heat and humidity just like your average redneck does. And, BTW, it is not "shops" but "shoppes"

Old 09-06-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Hmm, newsflash for you.... we live in America, and we don't spell using King's English. Why would schools in the US teach British grammar as opposed to American English (AmE) grammar? Makes no sense.
Good schools in the US teach proper English which is the King's English as taken from the Oxford Dictionary which is the definitive record of the English language and which was standard issue in my grammar school (although less inclined students could elect to use Webster's). Either way was correct but the usage of the Oxford book was considered a higher level of proficiency in the learning and use of English.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Good schools in the US teach proper English which is the King's English as taken from the Oxford Dictionary which is the definitive record of the English language and which was standard issue in my grammar school (although less inclined students could elect to use Webster's). Either way was correct but the usage of the Oxford book was considered a higher level of proficiency in the learning and use of English.
Is this a joke? Learning spellings not used in America was a positive in your school?

And you mentioned shoppe earlier... No one even used that where I was from except if it was the name of a store.

I'm kind of dumfounded by how wacky you are. First, your vocabulary is clearly lacking as demonstrated by the fact that you've used incorrect words several times. Second, I somehow learned the English English spellings, and got used to American English within 3 months, something which you are unable to do, despite this being the American standard. Third, knowing English English spellings doesn't not make you more educated, neither does throwing out the few foreign expressions most people know. I speak English, French, Spanish, Polish, and Ukrainian, and I don't spout the nonsense that you do, despite the fact that I clearly could, and it would leave you dazed because you would realize that you aren't the smartest person on the Internet,

Old 09-06-2010, 07:39 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I don't think I'd "strongly approve" of any president. That means agreeing with virtually everything he does, least of all with this current mess of an administration.
Me; I strongly approve. Obama has made strong pushes to enact or reform most of those things which were the main planks of his campaign. By some miracle, he's succeeded in a great many more than I would've expected. He's proven to be a man of his word, despite his actions being predictably unpopular.

He's hamstrung his party, sure, but I don't give two s#!ts about Democrats or Republicans. All I care about is the USA and her people.

Obama is governing like he doesn't care if he wins a 2nd term. I strongly approve of that, especially in rough economic times when nothing he does is going to make people happy. He reminds me of Bush 1, a president of whom I also strongly approved.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Is this a joke? Learning spellings not used in America was a positive in your school?

And you mentioned shoppe earlier... No one even used that where I was from except if it was the name of a store.

I'm kind of dumfounded by how wacky you are. First, your vocabulary is clearly lacking as demonstrated by the fact that you've used incorrect words several times. Second, I somehow learned the English English spellings, and got used to American English within 3 months, something which you are unable to do, despite this being the American standard. Third, knowing English English spellings doesn't not make you more educated, neither does throwing out the few foreign expressions most people know. I speak English, French, Spanish, Polish, and Ukrainian, and I don't spout the nonsense that you do, despite the fact that I clearly could, and it would leave you dazed because you would realize that you aren't the smartest person on the Internet,
My vocabulary is vast and deep. I did quite well on the SAT. But on the internet one must remember the audience for whom one writes. And you are right in that I am not the most intelligent human being on the internet but I am in the top 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies