Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 08:46 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Honestly, I haven't read very many responses that say "lol if we don't burn the Qu'ran, all muslims will be ours bestest fwends like bff's!"

I have read numerous statements that question whether or not we should lower ourselves to their standards. I have read numerous questions on "What is the point of this?"

What is exactly the point of burning their holy text? Spit in their faces, moon them, and then laugh about having some sort of moral superiority? Get them back for burning the bible and the American flag?

This event is probably the most childish thing I've ever heard of.
As a Christian, I have to say that I (and every other Christian I know) agrees with you. The Jesus I know said to love your neighbor as yourself....with no qualifying. So, for some church to do this retarded act in the name of God is just about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. I'm ashamed OF them and FOR them.

(And yes, I still have to love those church members also....but I wouldn't want to be in their shoes before God. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:46 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post

LIBS: Stop making excuses for militant people!

Yet some of you are doing exactly that for those that want to burn books, or nuke the middle east " just make the area a sheet of glass, that is what we should do, F 'em all" , a common theme said time and time again by some.

What I see are some that want to make this a holy war, or a war of east vs west. Trying to sell us this neat little package of propaganda that all Muslims are the same, that they are a threat to America. Spare me.

I agree there are militants, some of you are trying to make it as if all of them are militants, and should expand war and death to save America from them, I ain't buying what you are selling.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
What does it matter? They have a right to do it. Quit trying to silence everything that offends your darlings, who then threaten to kill and murder, even the President, if they don't get their way..

What was the point o fthe urine christ?

What was the point of the dung virgin mary?

What was the point of the holocaust denial cartoon contest (Which was in RESPONSE To the mohammed cartoons)

You libs cower in fear of muslims because you expect violence from them, you fear them.
It matters because its the topic of this thread.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:59 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
What does it matter? They have a right to do it. Quit trying to silence everything that offends your darlings, who then threaten to kill and murder, even the President, if they don't get their way..

What was the point of the holocaust denial cartoon contest (Which was in RESPONSE To the mohammed cartoons)

You libs cower in fear of muslims because you expect violence from them, you fear them.
If you constantly and consistently expect the worst possible behavior from people, you'll usually get it. Many people here must think muslims are dumb as stumps, as they"re convinced that muslims will see this as a state-sanctioned event, despite massive evidence to the contrary.
I wonder if these same leftists would have been as outraged over all the WWII-era posters, skits, etc that ridiculed and demeaned hitler and the nazis, on the basis that they were unnecessarily provocative?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
If you constantly and consistently expect the worst possible behavior from people, you'll usually get it. Many people here must think muslims are dumb as stumps, as they"re convinced that muslims will see this as a state-sanctioned event, despite massive evidence to the contrary.
I wonder if these same leftists would have been as outraged over all the WWII-era posters, skits, etc that ridiculed and demeaned hitler and the nazis, on the basis that they were unnecessarily provocative?
LIberals are the true islamophobes, because they fear muslims, and expect the worst, and expect no better from them. Then call everyone bigots who don't agree with them.

Libs, it's time to hold muslims up to the same standards you hold everyone else to.

it's not appropriate, ANYWHERE ON EARTH, to kill people over a book. That's not an "American" standard, it's universal, except apparently for your darlings.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:01 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Because you never seem to dissaprove of free spech, except when it comes to the sensitivities of muslims.

This is the reality, libs, had this group just announced they would download korans onto their computers, then delete them, there would be death threats.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES.
Quote:

First of all, you don't know me well enough to know what I find offensive or not. Just because liberals advocate upholding free speech which is guaranteed by the 1st amendment doesn't mean we can't also use our own 1st amendment rights to express outrage over the actions and words of others. I find it outrageous that a so-call man of God is advocating hatred through this book burning and that has nothing to do with fear of Muslims. It has to do with right and wrong.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Good question - do you think that we have possibly sunk to the level of our Leadership? We have the most divisive President that I can remember in the last 50 years aided by a media that promotes that divisiveness.

When are people going to put a stop to this stuff by denouncing ALL of them?
What was the excuse in 2001? Note that the Holocaust Museum likened this to Nazi Germany. Meanwhile, irony of irony it is the people who accuse the President of being a 'nazi', etc. who are applauding these actions.

Holocaust Museum links burning of Harry Potter stories to Nazi book burning - AP Worldstream | HighBeam Research - FREE trial

And, here, a rather startling history of book-burning.

http://manwiththemuckrake.wordpress.com/2010/09/07/historical-lessons-in-book-burning/ (broken link)

Last edited by TigerLily24; 09-08-2010 at 09:18 AM..

Old 09-08-2010, 09:07 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Interesting. So far, it's been a collective: "They have the right, but it's still tactless and in bad taste" or "What is the point?"

The only outrage I've seen is from the firem-... pro-burners as they twist questions of "Why?" into "Fomigod, they want to limit free speech to protect their darlings!!!".

Heck, if this was a collective bible burning on the anniversary day of Dr. Tiller's death - I'd still be facepalming at it.

15,061 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How about the people who don't already hate us? How about the Muslims who've remained neutral during the past nine years, or who have even cooperated with American efforts in their countries? Americans getting together to burn something they consider sacred won't offend them, won't drive them into the arms of radical terrorists?

Disrespecting someone else is not a good foundation for the future.
Common sense should already tell you that if some "peaceful" group of Muslims found the insult of a Quran burning motivation and justification to do harm, then they weren't so peaceful to begin with.

I don't advocate this activity .. however, the media hype is rather ridiculous, since this type of thing occurs in Muslim countries (burning or banning any book that isn't the Quran, including Bibles) on a regular basis.

And this preacher isn't the one putting US service personnel in harms way, it is their commanders, both military and civilian who's war policies are doing that quite nicely ... and have been for 9 years now.

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
First of all, you don't know me well enough to know what I find offensive or not. Just because liberals advocate upholding free speech which is guaranteed by the 1st amendment doesn't mean we can't also use our own 1st amendment rights to express outrage over the actions and words of others. I find it outrageous that a so-call man of God is advocating hatred through this book burning and that has nothing to do with fear of Muslims. It has to do with right and wrong.
FREEDOM OF SPEECH DOES NOT COME WITH RESPONSIBILITIES TO NOT OFFEND.

STOP IT! NOW!

Grown ups have to deal with being offended, on a daily basis.

This is just proof of the libby PC garbage, removing words like retarded.

you don't believe in freedom of speech, you believe in censorship.

Sorry, but burning a book is a right we Americans have. If you don't like it, then leave. Trying to equate burning a book to violence in response to burning a book, is PATHETIC.

So now right and wrong is the correct standard we should use?

In that case, you must be in favor or banning adultery then, right because it's got to be "wrong" as it hurts families.

Oh wait, i'm sure that was just another case of a double standard you libs have. Can't offend your darlings, they might get violent, and it would be our fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies