Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 02:54 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times

Advertisements

From the debate about the Koran burning,it seems quite a few posters believe Muslims cannot control their actions if they get upset or insulted.

Is this how you personally think?

I would be interested in seeing people's responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I don't know where some are getting the idea about being afraid of Muslims, for those of us who think it is wrong to burn a book, in this case their holy book. Although some say we shoud be afraid of Muslims and support a on going war on "terror" because otherwise they will take over the world....

betamanlet asked which is worse, us burning a book or them doing a jihad and terrorism. Which is worse?, are any of the two right? is the point. "I am doing something stupid but they do something even more stupid so focus on them". Right.....

I am not afraid of offending muslim or anybody. Criticizing someone like in a cartoon or discussion forum for example, is fair game. But that is a little different than burning a book and generalizing toward people. Should they have the right to?, yes. What does it say about those who do?, nothing positive.

When I think of people who burn or vandalize books, art and works of civilization I think of the dark ages, the communists, the facists, and the extremist religious. I don't think it is a American or enlightened thing to do.
If a own my own book, you think you can tell me what I can or cannot do with it, including burning it?

We're not talking about stealing other people's books here. We are talking about our own books.

You telling me I couldn't burn a copy of Meink Kampf if I wanted to?

Restrict freedom of speech is also an unamerican thing to do.

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I don't know where some are getting the idea about being afraid of Muslims, for those of us who think it is wrong to burn a book, in this case their holy book. Although some say we shoud be afraid of Muslims and support a on going war on "terror" because otherwise they will take over the world....

betamanlet asked which is worse, us burning a book or them doing a jihad and terrorism. Which is worse?, are any of the two right? is the point. "I am doing something stupid but they do something even more stupid so focus on them". Right.....

I am not afraid of offending muslim or anybody. Criticizing someone like in a cartoon or discussion forum for example, is fair game. But that is a little different than burning a book and generalizing toward people. Should they have the right to?, yes. What does it say about those who do?, nothing positive.

When I think of people who burn or vandalize books, art and works of civilization I think of the dark ages, the communists, the facists, and the extremist religious. I don't think it is a American or enlightened thing to do.
You nailed it!

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
My god, I actually agreed with Sean Hannity on something.
Yes, they are in harms way all ready, but why pour gasoline on a fire?

Old 09-08-2010, 02:56 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
So you're saying that technology should be taken into account when censoring speech?
Nah. It was merely me noting the level of technology and the level of negative response. It would be interesting to see how things might've been different if they had today's current technology. Live broadcasts from Auschwitz, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC
Why do so many think Muslims are unable to control their actions if something offends them?

Are people really saying Muslims cannot control themselves when annoyed???
It's not that they can't control themselves. It's that they don't respond the same as you or I. It's the difference between a developing nation and a civilized one.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:57 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
My god, I actually agreed with Sean Hannity on something.
Yes, they are in harms way all ready, but why pour gasoline on a fire?
Me too and that's a first for me.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:57 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
If a own my own book, you think you can tell me what I can or cannot do with it, including burning it?

We're not talking about stealing other people's books here. We are talking about our own books.

You telling me I couldn't burn a copy of Meink Kampf if I wanted to?

Restrict freedom of speech is also an unamerican thing to do.
That seems lost on some people in their fervor to appease.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:58 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
If you look at the WW2 art, germans and japanese were drawn in ways to be "offensive" and belittle them.

And US troops were near Germand and Japanese troops, while hateful things were said in the US about Germans and Japanese.

How is this any different other than you holding Muslims to a different standard?

Look at WW2 propaganda, especially of the Japanese and how they were depicted in the US....

Stop making excuses for muslims, seriously.
Stop making silly arguments.

Times have changed. How many Japanese soldiers had access to television and the internet to know how they were depicted in the United States? And the propaganda relates to burning Q'urans, how??? When this pastor was producing propaganda (his billboards on the church's property were propaganda) it was offensive, to be sure, but did not push up against the restrictions on freedom of speech. He's taking this to another level. And the question is is General Petraeus wrong in his assessment that the pastor's actions pose a danger? Is General Petraeus wrong, or is he showing reasonable concern? Please don't ignore this question. This thread originally was about the General's objections, so it's certainly the most pertinent question possible. Is the general wrong?

Old 09-08-2010, 02:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
They (the White House and MSM) are setting this pastor up to blame HIM and Christians for the deaths of American soldiers, IMO. The media-swarm does more to endanger the soldiers than anything. I do now also place FOX NEWS in with the MSM since their programming, for the most part, has become much more apologetic for the WH since the visit between Axelrod & Murdoch more than 6 mos. ago.

I think Obama wants a slaughter of our soldiers so he can pull them out but fast. Yes, I actually think he would do this, he is, IMO, that evil.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:59 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Nah. It was merely me noting the level of technology and the level of negative response.

It's not that they can't control themselves. It's that they don't respond the same as you or I. It's the difference between a developing nation and a civilized one.
ER, Vietnam is a developing nation, considered to be third world. I went there wearing a US marine corps shirt, remember, millions of Vietnamese were killed in the Vietnam were, and I got no threats, no violence, and people were very friendly and curious about me....

STOP MAKING EXCUSES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies