Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,595,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Not exactly..
For the last 4 and one half decades..yes. all involved illegals. And not just LA, all over SoCal.
Wrong.

Quote:
But 46 years ago(1964) there was the "Watts riots" in LA. which was a Civil Rights movement for African Americans.
African-Americans were behind April '92 and committed almost all the violence - except for the very same Westlake area this took place in.

There were other ethnicities that did looting out of opportunistic motives. In Westlake there was considerable violence by Central Americans, the ONLY area where there was rioting that African-Americans were not the perps. And that includes in some areas with large Latino populations.

And in the period of the "last four and one half decades" there were riots which were almost exclusively done by non-Latino whites like the Sunset Strip riot (OK, 44 years ago) or the Huntington Beach riot (25 years ago).

Can't comment on the Huntington Beach riot but what ALL of the riots I mentioned named had in common was that they all related to misconduct by law enforcement. Seems like in this case the officer was acting properly, however, in all of the previous cases (don't know about HB) they weren't, and the LAPD of the 1960s-90s was a pretty thoroughly rotten department on many levels. Unfortunately it's hard to shake precedents and perceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 01:14 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,425,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Wrong.

African-Americans were behind April '92 and committed almost all the violence - except for the very same Westlake area this took place in.

There were other ethnicities that did looting out of opportunistic motives. In Westlake there was considerable violence by Central Americans, the ONLY area where there was rioting that African-Americans were not the perps. And that includes in some areas with large Latino populations.

And in the period of the "last four and one half decades" there were riots which were almost exclusively done by non-Latino whites like the Sunset Strip riot (OK, 44 years ago) or the Huntington Beach riot (25 years ago).

Can't comment on the Huntington Beach riot but what ALL of the riots I mentioned named had in common was that they all related to misconduct by law enforcement. Seems like in this case the officer was acting properly, however, in all of the previous cases (don't know about HB) they weren't, and the LAPD of the 1960s-90s was a pretty thoroughly rotten department on many levels. Unfortunately it's hard to shake precedents and perceptions.
No one said that no other ethnic groups were invovled.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
By the way, if he was here legally would there be any reason for him to be drunk in the middle of the day swinging a knife at innocent pedestrians? No!

These ILLEGAL day laborers all get drunk on cheap beer after they haven't been picked up by 10am for a day-job. The average person wouldn't know that unless they lived in L.A. (or some other sanctuary city) and saw this happen on a regular basis.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:24 PM

Videos just released...

YouTube - PROTEST 6th and Union march to RAMPART STATION

YouTube - 6th and union protest

YouTube - 6th and union protest

Old 09-08-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
No one said that no other ethnic groups were invovled.
"For the last 4 and one half decades..yes. all involved illegals. And not just LA, all over SoCal".

The Sunset Strip riot is (barely) within that time frame, and no illegals involved in that to my knowledge. Virtualy all of those rioters were non-Latino whites, one or two might've been illegal, but very, very few if any.

The Huntington Beach riot is very much within that time frame and I don't know of any illegals involved in that, virtually everyone involved in that was non-Latino white. Perhaps one or two might've been illegal, but very, very few if any.

However, what ALL those riots had in common (with the possible exception of HB, only because I don't know the exact details behind that) was police misconduct. Each and every time.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
"For the last 4 and one half decades..yes. all involved illegals. And not just LA, all over SoCal".

The Sunset Strip riot is (barely) within that time frame, and no illegals involved in that to my knowledge. Virtualy all of those rioters were non-Latino whites, one or two might've been illegal, but very, very few if any.

The Huntington Beach riot is very much within that time frame and I don't know of any illegals involved in that, virtually everyone involved in that was non-Latino white. Perhaps one or two might've been illegal, but very, very few if any.

However, what ALL those riots had in common (with the possible exception of HB, only because I don't know the exact details behind that) was police misconduct. Each and every time.
Unless you can prove there were no illegals........... illegals were involved.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
"For the last 4 and one half decades..yes. And not just LA, all over SoCal".

Reworded: all of "the riots" involved illegals.
I just proved you wrong by citing two examples (although one was only barely within that time frame).

If there were any illegals who rioted in those specific riots they were non-Latino white illegals, and there's no documentation that ANY illegals were involved.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I just proved you wrong by citing two examples (although one was only barely within that time frame).

If there were any illegals who rioted in those specific riots they were non-Latino white illegals, and there's no documentation that ANY illegals were involved.
I don't see any proof.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I don't see any proof.
The type of proof you want entails going over every single police record about said events. One would have to look at every single LA Sheriff's Department record from the Sunset Strip riot or every single Huntington Beach Police Department record from the Huntington Beach riot (which occurred at a surfing competition) to provide the sort of proof you'd want.

I've read the book "Riot On Sunset Strip" (a general history of the '60s counterculture in Southern California, and a major part of which focuses on the riot) and there was no mention of illegals.

If one or two illegals were involved then it's not fair to blame the riot on "illegals", for that matter you could say "illegals" were involved with the Watts Riots of '65 because neither you nor I have records on the citizenship status of everyone involved. One or two rioters might've been illegals but it was not a "riot of illegals". What Watts has in common with Westlake is that both are amongst the worst parts of Los Angeles. (In '65, while Westlake would've been considered a "bad" area - unlike a few years earlier - it wasn't by any means one of the worst parts of L.A. yet. It wouldn't have been on the level of Watts at that time, although it is now.)

Old 09-08-2010, 02:10 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,055 times
Quote:
The type of proof you want entails going over every single police record about said events. One would have to look at every single LA Sheriff's Department record from the Sunset Strip riot or every single Huntington Beach Police Department record from the Huntington Beach riot (which occurred at a surfing competition) to provide the sort of proof you'd want.

I've read the book "Riot On Sunset Strip" (a general history of the '60s counterculture in Southern California, and a major part of which focuses on the riot) and there was no mention of illegals.

If one or two illegals were involved then it's not fair to blame the riot on "illegals", for that matter you could say "illegals" were involved with the Watts Riots of '65 because neither you nor I have records on the citizenship status of everyone involved. One or two rioters might've been illegals but it was not a "riot of illegals". What Watts has in common with Westlake is that both are amongst the worst parts of Los Angeles. (In '65, while Westlake would've been considered a "bad" area - unlike a few years earlier - it wasn't by any means one of the worst parts of L.A. yet. It wouldn't have been on the level of Watts at that time, although it is now.)
They haven't invented a time capsule so it's really not relevant how many illegals were at the Sunset Strip Riot.

Today however, it would be safe to say that there were illegals involved in the civil disobedience at the Rampart station last night as well as on the streets of Westlake over the past two days.

No doubt about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies