Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Why do ya'll get tatoos? I don't understand. 'Splain' it to me!
America is a place where the latest fashion has a big pull. If it were fashionable to amputate one's little finger, there'd be a significant number of people without little fingers. I kid you not.

Although it's been going on for a lot of years now, tattoes are simply in fashion. My desire to follow fashion is guided by cost, and in the case of tattoes, what can and cannot be easily undone. Also I won't submit to physical pain for the sake of fashion. Hence, I am a guy without tattoes or piercings.

I should add that I try to follow fashion enough so I won't look like a dork walking down the street. Consequently, there is not a nehru jacket in my closet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 04:28 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It was just a little joke, notice the winky emoticon? Every couple of weeks a thread is started where people just get together and talk about how everyone with tattoos is a drug dealer, worthless, promiscuous etc. so I was just poking fun

I decided to get my tattoos because I like them. All of them were drawn by my younger sister (who is a great artist) and I simply like the fact that I get to carry my art with me where ever I go.
Ok, thanks for clarifying.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
To find an answer to the "why" of tattoo's one needs to look at human history to find the reasons for tattooing as a tribal rite.

These tribal rites also motive many who get them today such as gang's and criminals with the rest being youthful foolishness or rebellion of one sort or the other. Say what you will rebellion is often the cause be the person older or young.

For myself I think tattoo's are an abomination against ones body. Those with tattoo's take huge risk of infection ,both now and later, since any breach of the skin opens a portal to germs of all sorts.

In my mind only idiots, fools and morons have tattoo's of any sort.
Then you obviously never go to the dentist, right? Because they poke sharp metal things in your mouth and open you up to infection. You've also never had blood drawn, right? That's a portal right into your veins! I got a blood infection from a medi-port that was inserted into my chest by a medical professional...when a nurse was accessing the port, she introduced bacteria directly into my bloodstream...and yet, I've never had an infection from my tattoos.

I'm not a drug dealer, I'm absolutely not an idiot, fool or moron and I didn't get my tattoos to 'rebel'... my parents AND my grandmother have tattoos, what exactly would I be rebelling agains?

Old 09-07-2010, 04:37 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Why do ya'll get tatoos? I don't understand. 'Splain' it to me!
I hate tatoos.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:41 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Identity issues
With some people you are soo right, I know a few so unhappy with their lives, they began to tat up trying to change who they were when all along it was their life syles that needed to be changed, now they regret doing it, it's not something to take lightly or get into for a fad thing.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:45 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some people see it as art. You might not relate to that, but I don't think it's difficult to understand.
"Taggers" think what they're doing is art too, that doesn't make it an acceptable display of creativity.

At least in that case, they're the artist, not the canvas.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:50 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Then you obviously never go to the dentist, right? Because they poke sharp metal things in your mouth and open you up to infection. You've also never had blood drawn, right? That's a portal right into your veins! I got a blood infection from a medi-port that was inserted into my chest by a medical professional...when a nurse was accessing the port, she introduced bacteria directly into my bloodstream...and yet, I've never had an infection from my tattoos.

I'm not a drug dealer, I'm absolutely not an idiot, fool or moron and I didn't get my tattoos to 'rebel'... my parents AND my grandmother have tattoos, what exactly would I be rebelling agains?
You are correct that you can get an infection in multiple ways including medical procedures. But you would have to admit that they are necessary procedures to save or improve your life. Getting a tattoo is completely voluntary and elective. It does disrupt the integrity of your skin which is the most important organ in preventing invasive organisms into your body.

To subject yourself to this is taking a chance and you obviously made an educated choice. But you have to understand why some people find it an unusual way to express yourself.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:52 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Identity issues
Some yes. But, as usual in stereotypes, not all. Some people do it for a permanent respect to a deceased family member, loved one, and/or friend. Don't be so quick to judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
tattoos are a form of expression. that person is trying to express that they are unemployed.
Since it seems as if you're not joking, just shows what you know. Tattoo's are quite expensive and are not at all an indication of unemployment. Plenty of people are coming off their 'high horse'. I see plenty of people in many different establishments, police officers as well, that are employed. Many business OWNERS have tattoo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some people see it as art. You might not relate to that, but I don't think it's difficult to understand.
Understood or not, people will continue with getting tattoo's. That's the best part.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:56 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
You are correct that you can get an infection in multiple ways including medical procedures. But you would have to admit that they are necessary procedures to save or improve your life. Getting a tattoo is completely voluntary and elective. It does disrupt the integrity of your skin which is the most important organ in preventing invasive organisms into your body.

To subject yourself to this is taking a chance and you obviously made an educated choice. But you have to understand why some people find it an unusual way to express yourself.
Cosmetic surgery...same thing. Elective, unnecessary, and you do have a chance of dying.

BTW, to respond to the poster you're responding to...no, I do NOT go to the dentist.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post

I had my port put in because I wanted it there, it was not medically necessary.

I absolutely know that many people find it a very unusual way to express myself, but that doesn't automatically mean I'm an 'idiot' or a 'moron'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies