Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
Simply not true. Everything great that is American is also a progressive idea. Our declaration of independence and our constitution were both extremely progressive for their time, and conservatives fought against our war of independence, while progressives pushed for it. You can also count progressives as fighting for (and winning) freedom for slaves, voting rights for women, social security for the elderly, and environmental protections which conservatives still loathe.

The problem is that when you ask people "Are you conservative? Progressive? Liberal?" They have been trained to answer "Conservative," because the right has very successfully turned progressive into a dirty word. When you ask Americans about individual issues, however (civil rights, privacy, womens rights, environmental protection, wages, taxes, etc.), they are consistently progressive in their views on the specific issues. It's just that the blanket term of "Liberal" or "Progressive" has been made to seem like a negative.
I have taken about all of your crap that I can stand. I am sure that you are pretty young and that you got your education from books written by progressive revisionists. I don't think you know anything about history and what really happened because of them taking over education in the 1970s and it has grown from there.

That first post had so much crap in it that I didn't want to take you on but you just won't stop. Progressive is a word that people called themselves in the early 20th century and changed to liberal when progressive got so unpopular. Now they are trying to turn back and it seems pretty confused.

Obama wanted to get elected and I think that George Soros wanted him pretty bad so he could pull some strings and he is still pulling them. If you really believe that Obama isn't even trying to fight the Republicans you didn't hear his speech to the labor union people yesterday. He says the GOP and other enemies are treating him like he was a dog. He feels so sorry for himself and he knows only campaigning and few, if any, of the Dems really want him to get in their way.

I guess this post will be seen by many as an attack on you but I am sure that you didn't even get this going to get people to attack you. You have been taught by progs that attack is the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times
Quote:
Absolutely not. If anything, he enforced a far-right private market monopoly!! The "Healthcare Bill" was 30 million new American customers for the insurance industry.

More egregious than the bill, was what was not in the bill. NO universal coverage, which would protect the health of every citizen regardless of income or class! THAT would have been a powerful and liberal thing to do!

And so we said, O.k, That's far too liberal a thing to ask for. How about just a public option? Just an option, a choice. Citizens can "Buy In" to the government-run healthcare we already have in place, and it would be a small check on the private insurance industry and their price escalation. Just an option! It's vastly smaller than Universal Healthcare, but fight for us! What did he do? No option. No liberal agenda whatsoever, just more of the same private insurance big industry monopoly.

Far leftist... Do you have any idea what you speak of?
I've got a challenge for you; you're obviously a college student (if you're honest you'll admit it), The next time your sitting in your Sociology 101 class and your Marxist professor starts droning on and on about diversity, I dare you to ask him/her how many conservatives are in the sociology department. When he/she answers "none" ask him/her why diversity doesn't apply to them and their department. Deal?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Simply not true. Everything great that is American is also a progressive idea. Our declaration of independence and our constitution were both extremely progressive for their time, and conservatives fought against our war of independence, while progressives pushed for it. You can also count progressives as fighting for (and winning) freedom for slaves, voting rights for women, social security for the elderly, and environmental protections which conservatives still loathe.

The problem is that when you ask people "Are you conservative? Progressive? Liberal?" They have been trained to answer "Conservative," because the right has very successfully turned progressive into a dirty word. When you ask Americans about individual issues, however (civil rights, privacy, womens rights, environmental protection, wages, taxes, etc.), they are consistently progressive in their views on the specific issues. It's just that the blanket term of "Liberal" or "Progressive" has been made to seem like a negative.
I just read that post again. Two of your hotshot progressives also got us into two World Wars in the first half of the 20th century. Wilson promised that we wouldn't get into the European war and then the Germans forced him to get us in. FDR said in a very famous speech, "Again and again, I say to you, your sons shall not fight on foreign soil." How many of those fathers and sons died in foreign nations at that time? Now don't go wild and hitting at me for telling the truth when you have never heard about that speech from studying in progressive textbooks. I was only 9 when that war started but never have been against him for getting us into it. If he had waited a year or two more it would have been too late.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Those were just two that didn't work but were surely attempted. These progs just won't stop saying that we are being protected when the attacks are continuing.
If you really want to go with this whole attack rhetoric, 9/11 happened under Bush's watch.

Quote:
Are you saying that the underwear bomber and the Times Square bomber weren't involved with Muslim terrorists? I guess you progs really do think that is right.
No, I'm not. What I'm saying is, no one thinks that 32 people dying because of the Virginia Tech attacks is worth noting, but as soon as Muslims are involved it becomes terrorist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Au Contrair, she's the only reason I voted for that RINO, and I know several like me. Obama won, because he along with the media did a good job of calling McLame another Bush.
Okay. I won't argue with you on that. I was simply speculating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't know how anyone can say that Obama isn't a far leftist. He just rammed through a $1 Trillion health care bill (which will undoubtedly cost a lot more more) even though we spend more on health care than any other country in the world (with crappy results). That alone qualifies him as far left, IMO.
What would are your proposals for alternatives to the health care bill? I'm not a fan of it either, but for reasons more than likely different than yours.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:22 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I've got a challenge for you; you're obviously a college student (if you're honest you'll admit it), The next time your sitting in your Sociology 101 class and your Marxist professor starts droning on and on about diversity, I dare you to ask him/her how many conservatives are in the sociology department. When he/she answers "none" ask him/her why diversity doesn't apply to them and their department. Deal?
No on the first count, I would challenge you to do the same since you're obviously a college student with a baby.

Marxist professor? I take that back. You never went to college, perhaps barely made it through highschool. You have a vague distrust of the education system, and you think religious texts are a better education than science, math, and other "Profane" learnings of the world. You don't understand the word Marxist, because you've only ever heard it on Fox News.

You made the "Professor/Marxist" connection, which did not exist before a certain entertainment organization decided it would be in their best interest to link education with evil, rather than dispel ignorance and religious nonsense. You hate diversity, because you sit within a dwindling white/christian/conservative demographic which once held absolute power and authority in this country through discrimination, but is quickly being subsumed by other groups who have equal protection and opportunity under the law and Constitution. You hate that.

Next time you sit around with your Tea Party friends, ask them why they all look and act like one another, and where they would be without Fox News. Deal?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I just read that post again. Two of your hotshot progressives also got us into two World Wars in the first half of the 20th century. Wilson promised that we wouldn't get into the European war and then the Germans forced him to get us in. FDR said in a very famous speech, "Again and again, I say to you, your sons shall not fight on foreign soil." How many of those fathers and sons died in foreign nations at that time? Now don't go wild and hitting at me for telling the truth when you have never heard about that speech from studying in progressive textbooks. I was only 9 when that war started but never have been against him for getting us into it. If he had waited a year or two more it would have been too late.
Who said I was denying it? In my post, I was saying that many of the great ideals that we hold as being "Really Really American" or at the core of our nation, are in fact "Really Really Progressive," or were, in their day. I won't defend every liberal or progressive leader as perfect, and yes I do personally disagree with the wars.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I am sure that you are pretty young and that you got your education from books written by progressive revisionists. I don't think you know anything about history and what really happened because of them taking over education in the 1970s and it has grown from there.

I guess this post will be seen by many as an attack on you but I am sure that you didn't even get this going to get people to attack you. You have been taught by progs that attack is the answer.
No, no, and no. And no.

And as for the last part, I went to a very conservative school in a rather right-leaning part of the country. My education, sadly, was not something I wish to repeat. I had to learn on my own, through an avid pursuit of information at the library, and later, on the web. I don't say things just to sound "progressive," I am progressive.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Conservatives Are Single Largest Ideological Group

"Thus far in 2009, 40% of Americans interviewed in national Gallup Poll surveys describe their political views as conservative, 35% as moderate, and 21% as liberal. This represents a slight increase for conservatism in the U.S. since 2008, returning it to a level last seen in 2004. The 21% calling themselves liberal is in line with findings throughout this decade, but is up from the 1990s."

"Conservatives" Are Single-Largest Ideological Group

There are more conservatives than liberals in all 50 states

Gallup Reports that Conservatives Outnumber Liberals in 50 States - WSJ.com

Of note the polar opposite of the political spectrum. The Very conservative and very liberal. Gallup finds 9% of Americans are very conservative, versus only 5%. This is just the 100% reliable base of each party, surely you are referring to in that rant that 5% of the electorate catapulted Obama to victory. But let's cover all the facts. An additional 16% make up the Democratic base for a total of 21% of Americans are either very liberal or liberal vs. 40% of Americans are either very conservative (9%) or conservative (31%). So it definitely wasn't your base that got Obama elected no matter how much you spin the facts. It were the 35% moderates that got Obama elected. Oh by the way, 35% of political independents lean conservative, vs. 20%. So, you should thank the 45% independent moderate vote for the Democrats and Obama's victories since 2006. Your base had nothing to do with it. Face it, Americans are more conservative than they are liberal. You know that Florida and North Carolina threw the election toward Obama by 2.82%/0.32% respectively on a very bad year for Republicans. Those are razor thin majorities and Ohio was only 4.59% in favor of Obama

United States presidential election, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In summary, no your base did not propel Obama to victory.
But they don't want to admit that many Republicans were taken in by the Hope and Change crap along with very many independents. I am thinking that most of those people have realized their mistake but they weren't about to vote for McCain the way I did, with thumb and forefinger firmly clasped on my nose.

Actually liberals have taken control of the Dem party from the far left but not as tight control as they wanted it to be.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times
Quote:
No on the first count, I would challenge you to do the same since you're obviously a college student with a baby.

Marxist professor? I take that back. You never went to college, perhaps barely made it through highschool. You have a vague distrust of the education system, and you think religious texts are a better education than science, math, and other "Profane" learnings of the world. You don't understand the word Marxist, because you've only ever heard it on Fox News.

You made the "Professor/Marxist" connection, which did not exist before a certain entertainment organization decided it would be in their best interest to link education with evil, rather than dispel ignorance and religious nonsense. You hate diversity, because you sit within a dwindling white/christian/conservative demographic which once held absolute power and authority in this country through discrimination, but is quickly being subsumed by other groups who have equal protection and opportunity under the law and Constitution. You hate that.

Next time you sit around with your Tea Party friends, ask them why they all look and act like one another, and where they would be without Fox News. Deal?
Wow, somebody got defensive; struck a nerve, did I?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
No, no, and no. And no.

And as for the last part, I went to a very conservative school in a rather right-leaning part of the country. My education, sadly, was not something I wish to repeat. I had to learn on my own, through an avid pursuit of information at the library, and later, on the web. I don't say things just to sound "progressive," I am progressive.
That's your right! That doesn't, and shouldn't, take away from the right of others to utterly disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies