Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:35 PM

13,673 posts, read 8,978,585 times

Advertisements

My wife tells me that I am NOT oppressed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 01:48 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,727,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Ask yourself this question:

Would I do my job for no income?

If the answer is NO, you are oppressed and you have no freedom.

"But I have a mortgage, kids, and I need to save for retirement; I need a paying job so I can afford to live."

Answer: You are oppressed. Why must property be acquired? Why must food be purchased instead of being grown for your own consumption? Why must you give up your time so someone else can accumulate more profit?

As long as capitalism and money rule our lives, we will never be free. Ever thought about a life without markets? A life without government? Capitalism cannot survive without government repressing its people. Government makes laws to protect the wealthy elite and give them license to repress citizens and to destroy nature.

Government protects private property through the use of terror against its citizens. The police serve the interests of the government, which in turn, serves the wishes of the capitalist ruling class. The police. The FBI. The US military. They serve one master and it's not YOU or ME.

Democrats. Republicans. Tea Party people. Liberals. Conservatives. Progressives. They have no answers for our nation or humanity. They all worship the market dictatorship and the police state.

The bottom line is that you are not free. You never will be free. Denial and delusion are the only ways to cope today.
Do you realize how contradictory your rant is? You say we need not acquire property but need only grow our own food for personal consumption. Last I checked food is generally grown on land, property. If you grow food on land that does not belong to you someone is free to despoil your crop and if there is no government to stop that theft your labor has been in vain. So you need property rights and a government to enforce those rights. If you think otherwise, you're living in la-la land.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:54 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,346,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Do you realize how contradictory your rant is? You say we need not acquire property but need only grow our own food for personal consumption. Last I checked food is generally grown on land, property. If you grow food on land that does not belong to you someone is free to despoil your crop and if there is no government to stop that theft your labor has been in vain. So you need property rights and a government to enforce those rights. If you think otherwise, you're living in la-la land.
Maybe we could all grow food ans share it...but somehow or another that would lead to bartering. Two ears of corn would be worth one tomato. And then of course there would be one person who sabotages the crops of others so that he's the only person with corn and he'd start charging 10 tomatoes for one ear of corn. Soon he'll not only have all the corn but most of the tomatoes too, so then he'll raise the price of tomatoes to 12 apples and so on and so on and so on until he has control over all the crops and the rest of us are trying to barter on the black market.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 AM

124 posts, read 173,605 times
The solution? Move to the forest and eat bark.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,745,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KongAtTheGates View Post
The solution? Move to the forest and eat bark.
Not to mention running around naked because we not only don't know how to make clothes, we have nothing to make them with!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:00 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,727,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Maybe we could all grow food ans share it...but somehow or another that would lead to bartering. Two ears of corn would be worth one tomato. And then of course there would be one person who sabotages the crops of others so that he's the only person with corn and he'd start charging 10 tomatoes for one ear of corn. Soon he'll not only have all the corn but most of the tomatoes too, so then he'll raise the price of tomatoes to 12 apples and so on and so on and so on until he has control over all the crops and the rest of us are trying to barter on the black market.
The Pilgrims tried communal farming. But that didn't last long. First it didn't produce enough to support the community. And the lazy and idle discouraged the industrious.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:04 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,712,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Which one? Whose god is best?
It's all the same god...................just pick a flavor that suits you, and dont try to push that flavor on someone else. So many problems would just go away.

YC.......

Old 09-09-2010, 08:12 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,326,796 times
Quote:
So....what's the solution to all of our "delusions"? Anarchy? Nihilism? Meditation?? Is it all just too much to deal with?
Janis Joplin - "Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose..."

Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,617,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
It's all the same god...................just pick a flavor that suits you, and dont try to push that flavor on someone else. So many problems would just go away.

YC.......
Then god has multiple personality disorder.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:56 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,712,448 times
Quote:
Then god has multiple personality disorder.
Or maybe there are multiple personalities imposing their own interpretations upon what has been presented. Ever think of that?

YC.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies