U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 PM
 
6,654 posts, read 7,789,715 times
Reputation: 6393

Advertisements

Backers of NYC Islamic center appear divided - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com

Elzanaty said his real estate partnership, which paid $4.8 million for half the site last year, has already received offers three times that much to sell that parcel.

"Develop it, raze it, sell it," he said. "If someone wants to give me 18 or 20 million dollars today, it's all theirs."


Looks like IMAM Rauf doesn't have the cash to complete it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,067 posts, read 78,502,744 times
Reputation: 27662
So he wants to flip it for 4x what he paid for it ?
Nice. That sounds very capitalistic of him don't you think ?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Long Island
45,741 posts, read 18,868,802 times
Reputation: 11005
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Backers of NYC Islamic center appear divided - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com

Elzanaty said his real estate partnership, which paid $4.8 million for half the site last year, has already received offers three times that much to sell that parcel.

"Develop it, raze it, sell it," he said. "If someone wants to give me 18 or 20 million dollars today, it's all theirs."


Looks like IMAM Rauf doesn't have the cash to complete it.
Yes he is still raising funding and only has around $20,000 to date so the call for investigation into terrorist funding is a bit premature.

The title of the article is a bit deceiving since he real has no backers to date. Interesting that any real estate is actually going up in value.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 06:09 AM
 
29,985 posts, read 40,210,394 times
Reputation: 12799
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So he wants to flip it for 4x what he paid for it ?
Nice. That sounds very capitalistic of him don't you think ?
Is this a pre-forclosure short sale to pay the back taxes? Why all the mixed messages from this Imam? Didn't he just give a thinly veiled threat regarding the rest of the Muslim world if this mosque is not built at THIS location?

Ground Zero imam issues veiled threat: if mega-mosque isn't built, "anger will explode in the Muslim world" - Jihad Watch
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 06:15 AM
 
Location: Elsewhere
70,920 posts, read 66,635,007 times
Reputation: 88314
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Is this a pre-forclosure short sale to pay the back taxes? Why all the mixed messages from this Imam? Didn't he just give a thinly veiled threat regarding the rest of the Muslim world if this mosque is not built at THIS location?

Ground Zero imam issues veiled threat: if mega-mosque isn't built, "anger will explode in the Muslim world" - Jihad Watch
I hardly think that was a "threat". More accurately, it was just a statement of reality, but neither do I think a decision to stay there or not stay there should be based on what extremists might do.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 06:41 AM
 
6,654 posts, read 7,789,715 times
Reputation: 6393
(CNN) -- The religious leader behind plans to build an Islamic center and mosque a few blocks from New York's ground zero said Wednesday night that America's national security depends on how it handles the controversy.

"If we move from that location, the story will be the radicals have taken over the discourse," Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf told CNN's Soledad O'Brien on "Larry King Live."

"The headlines in the Muslim world will be that Islam is under attack."

Imam: Handling of Islamic center plan a matter of national security - CNN.com

Seems like blackmail. If we move it your national security is threatened. Again Islam acting like a spoiled toddler who didn't get his way. Do you keep appeasing the child?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 06:44 AM
 
Location: New Kensington (Parnassus) ,Pa
2,424 posts, read 2,060,459 times
Reputation: 603
Seville, Spain. A township governed by the left accepted to sell its land to a group of Muslims for the construction of a mosque. A group of non-immigrant Spaniards that didn’t want the mosque in their neighborhood came up with an original solution. In the middle of the lot where the mosque was supposed to be built, they buried a big pig and made sure it became public knowledge. Since Islamic law forbids the construction of mosques on hog-soiled land, the Arabs had to abandon the project..The Israelis have been using this strategy since 2004. They put containers of pork fat in all their buses and made sure everybody knew about it. If a suicide bomber decides to explode himself in a bus, he’s taking the chance that some of the pig fat ends up on his body and therefore he will not go to Paradise. Israelis buses have been safe from attacks since then. No more attacks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 AM
 
Location: My little patch of Earth
6,193 posts, read 4,993,599 times
Reputation: 3049
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Seville, Spain. A township governed by the left accepted to sell its land to a group of Muslims for the construction of a mosque. A group of non-immigrant Spaniards that didn’t want the mosque in their neighborhood came up with an original solution. In the middle of the lot where the mosque was supposed to be built, they buried a big pig and made sure it became public knowledge. Since Islamic law forbids the construction of mosques on hog-soiled land, the Arabs had to abandon the project..The Israelis have been using this strategy since 2004. They put containers of pork fat in all their buses and made sure everybody knew about it. If a suicide bomber decides to explode himself in a bus, he’s taking the chance that some of the pig fat ends up on his body and therefore he will not go to Paradise. Israelis buses have been safe from attacks since then. No more attacks.

Novel idea.

Is there a link to the details?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 07:50 AM
 
29,985 posts, read 40,210,394 times
Reputation: 12799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I hardly think that was a "threat". More accurately, it was just a statement of reality, but neither do I think a decision to stay there or not stay there should be based on what extremists might do.
When he fails to point out that the violent behavior abroad is irrational and unacceptable to the Islamic faith, it is indeed a thinly veiled threat. You call it a statement of reality but when he does not condem that reality then he stands behind it.

Imam Rauf is an Armani wearing, tax evading, slumlord who buddies with those with known links to terrorism and travels abroad courtesy of the State Department on the taxpayer dime. Imam Rauf has been caught in lies a number of times about this mosques funding. If Imam Rauf is a "moderate" muslim then "moderate" followers of Islam are to be taken as serious threats to our national security, not zoning and mosque relocation.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 07:55 AM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 20,559,083 times
Reputation: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
(CNN) -- The religious leader behind plans to build an Islamic center and mosque a few blocks from New York's ground zero said Wednesday night that America's national security depends on how it handles the controversy.

"If we move from that location, the story will be the radicals have taken over the discourse," Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf told CNN's Soledad O'Brien on "Larry King Live."

"The headlines in the Muslim world will be that Islam is under attack."

Imam: Handling of Islamic center plan a matter of national security - CNN.com

Seems like blackmail. If we move it your national security is threatened. Again Islam acting like a spoiled toddler who didn't get his way. Do you keep appeasing the child?
Most modern people DO...it is easier than actually doing something and they are lazy.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top