Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:08 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Yes it's still Bush Jr's fault. If you drive a car into a ditch and it's still in the ditch that doesn't change the fact that he drove it in there in the first place.

Pretty sure Bush got us to the edge of a cliff, as he was a big spender.
After the Chinese fire drill, Obama gassed it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 07:09 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Of course it's Bush's fault. The economy still sucks.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Step 1 in the Road to Serfdom.

"What's good in war is good in peace"

or read:

"What's perceived good in crisis (even if it's just short term) is good all the time"

The short term effect of "stimulus" may have the illusion of growth, but it also has the moral hazard of politicians looking like heroes and considering the adoption of perpetual stimulus. Peter Schiff was right (once again) when he said that gov't would try to enact stimulus after stimulus without end.

BTW, it's not "generally accepted" that spending is preferred to austerity. If that were the case, how come Europe, Puerto Rico, and others are cutting back and adopting the austerity measures?

Europe has had to cut back, because they haven't had the economic power that we've had. The GDP of the United States housing market alone, is three times greater than the entire GDP of China, now the second largest economy in the world. If we continued slowing at the same economic rate as we are now, and China continued growing at the same rate they are now, it would take until after 2040 for them to surpass us as the worlds top economy, and they have more than three times the population we do. Europe just recently cut back, because they had no other option in the EU.

We are doing just fine.

The rest of your post I agree with. The challange is, after the stimulus spending, a President has to say "Ok now, taxes will have to go up a little, and we're going to have to cut back on spending to pay back what we needed in the emergency situation"

Republicans and Democratic administrations alike have failed in this respect.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:17 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Iraq, did not kill our economy here at home. Actually it created jobs, as any war does. (but you have your blinders on and the tunnel vision is permanent)

Tax cuts, bad for our governments budget, when they keep spending and spending. But for the actual economy and jobs in the private sector, it actually creates jobs, with more in peoples pockets to distribute as they see fit to spend it on, not what our government says you must spend it on.(but you have your blinders on and the tunnel vision is permanent)

Deregulation of what markets? What markets did Bush personally deregulate? Who is in control of the Financial Committee? Your closing your eyes as you pass by Barney Frank!!! (but you have your blinders on and the tunnel vision is permanent)

Yes, war is bad for the economy when its the ones like we've fought.

See Rome, England, and countless other empires who have fought endless wars and went bankrupt doing it. The nice thing about WWII was that it was quick, and Europes manufacturing sector was destroyed in the process.

Who was going to fill the needs of the worlds manufactured goods after the war? Who had the manufacturing base to do it?

The United States.

And yes, I blame Frank for part of the housing bubble, but who signed off on it? Who increased it? Who praised the rates of home ownership growth? President Bush. While it started under the Clinton administration, it was made worse by the Bush administration. The SEC was also gutted during his presidency, which was a major issue.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:34 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It's still Bush's fault and will continue to be, for several years.
That makes no sense. How is it Bushs fault that Obama added more then all presidents up to Reagan? Is Bush secretly in the Oval office performing the job of president?

Old 09-09-2010, 07:38 AM

40 posts, read 113,857 times
Default Blame, Blame

I can't understand why everyone bashes Clinton, he was the only president who balanced the budget, and got this country out of the red. As for Mr Bush, it took him eight years to destroy the budget, destroy the middle class, destroy social security, and the enviroment, and now we expect a newly elected president to snap his fingers and change everything, I have voted for republicans and I have voted for democrats, but the real issue, is all the banks made such shady deals to get loans approved for people who couldn't really afford their homes. And anyone who wants disablity pay gets approved. I have a step son who is 37 years old, doesn't find work appealing, but he gets paid to stay at home and do nothing. There are so many changes we need, but every bill that needs to pass congress, doesn't. Americans have to stand up, work and do their share, no complaining. I am 62 I still work, I would love to see more jobs created. But I don't expect a new president to do this in 4 years, it will take more than that to correct all the wrong doings from other presidents. One more gripe, I hate all the political ads, they are so distorted and all should be banned from airing on Television.

Keep social security alive, get a job!

Old 09-09-2010, 07:39 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Is it STILL Bush's fault?

Only if Obama took office 15 minutes ago.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granny-nanny48 View Post
I can't understand why everyone bashes Clinton, he was the only president who balanced the budget, and got this country out of the red.
No, it was Newt Gingrich and the "new republicans" who "forced" Clinton to sign laws and quite spending that balanced the budget. Clinton takes the credit, but he did nothing to accomplish the fact...that was the Republicans that took over Congress and the Senate in the 1994 election.

Quote:
As for Mr Bush, it took him eight years to destroy the budget, destroy the middle class, destroy social security, and the enviroment, and now we expect a newly elected president to snap his fingers and change everything, I have voted for republicans and I have voted for democrats, but the real issue, is all the banks made such shady deals to get loans approved for people who couldn't really afford their homes. And anyone who wants disablity pay gets approved. I have a step son who is 37 years old, doesn't find work appealing, but he gets paid to stay at home and do nothing.
No, again, it was the fact that in all the wisdom of the voters there was not enough of a Republican majority in the Senate to stop the Democrats from filibustering and stopping any and all "corrective" legislation...especially in the housing area. President Bush sent at least 3 directives down to Congress to stop Fannie May and Freddie Mac and correct the foolish loaning of mortgage $'s to people who could not afford same. The housing bubble burst BECAUSE it was Congress that created Freddy Mac and Fannie Mae, had incompetent people at the helm, plus the directive that "poor" people could NOT be denied. Remember the lawsuit brought forward and BARAK OBAMA was one of the lawyers bringing this suit which demanded/FORCED banks to make these loans? The banks knew this was bogus, thus they made the loans UNDER FORCE but quickly bundled same and pawned them off.

You really need to do some research and studying of the why's and whom created the problems.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post

Hmmm.....the car analogy. It'll be the campaign cattle call for years by the democrats.

Didn't brakes work on that car when O 'saved' us?

Or just the gas pedal?
The deeper the ditch the longer it takes to get out. This is the greatest economic downturn this country has seen since the great depression.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:28 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Bush has been out of office for two years; it's time for the Obamazombies to realize this and acknowledge the failure of their messiah. Sorry, Presbo, your tired refrain of "Bush's fault" is old and played out and plain wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies