Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:05 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
We know a big family in Pakistan, and they (the females) have to wait outside, while the men go in. It is not the same everywhere. The point is, is that Islam is a religion that their own "kind" are not even allowed into their place of worship.
I detect urban legend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's a cult. If it was the religion of peace they wouldn't behead innocent people, stone women, make women wear a full body shroud in 160 degree weather, or have a culture of boy rape.

If Islam is so noble then why are the maniacs already hollering and wagging their tongues around like hot teapots declaring that they're going to kill American soldiers on 9/11. It's just more of the same garbage. Different day.

When they move that NYC 9/11 Mosque to another location will be the day some of them might gain a micron of respect from me. They've been picking bones off the tops of buildings all in the impact zone for the past 9 years and they want to "prove a point" and make a shrine to their martyrs. It's all garbage.
don't hold you breath wow a whole micron thats impressive

and as far as mosques go they are no diferent then a church, a big waste of money building ostentatious buildings the arn't even practical. where does it say one must build opulent places to worship while millions of people are starving to death around the globe..

it's kinda ironic that most of the mosques in indonesia survived the 2004 tsunami casuse they were built way better then the dwellings of the local people. and them muslims actually think it was divine intervention that saved the mosques. ohhh zod

Old 09-09-2010, 10:18 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
I went to a few mosques yesterday in Sarajevo, Bosnia. It is the end of Ramadan here and everyone is very friendly and sociable. Also in the Balkans it is acceptable for men and women to pray together. It has been surprising how many tall blond and blue-eyed Muslim families I have seen in Bosnia so far---many who look just like the Orthodox Christian Serbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
When they move that NYC 9/11 Mosque to another location will be the day some of them might gain a micron of respect from me. They've been picking bones off the tops of buildings all in the impact zone for the past 9 years and they want to "prove a point" and make a shrine to their martyrs. It's all garbage.
I doubt even 10 percent of the Muslims in the world are even aware there is a controversy about the proposed mosque in Lower Manhattan...On my trip to Europe over the last week I haven't spoken to many people who have much idea that there even is such a proposal let alone a controversy surrounding it. Most people aren't as concerned about what goes on in the United States as Americans might imagine.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
No, women are not allowed in.
How little you know.
I visited the blue mosque in Istanbul. It was lovely, and during Ramadan.
I visited a mosque in St. Petersburg, Russia, as well. And Cairo & Luxor, also.

Quote:
We know a big family in Pakistan, and they (the females) have to wait outside, while the men go in. It is not the same everywhere. The point is, is that Islam is a religion that their own "kind" are not even allowed into their place of worship.
Ever been to a synagogue?
Women do not pray with the men in some Orthodox synagogues.

Last edited by chielgirl; 09-09-2010 at 10:44 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 10:23 AM

507 posts, read 678,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have always found Muslims to be kind, hospitable and always willing to chew the cud over this and that. I say this as a single female traveller who never once experienced any spooky behaviour from any Muslims, be it in Yemen , Istanbul or in Malaysia.
This is something I really agree with. As a solo female traveler as well, I have been stunned by the number of times I have dined in the homes of Muslims that I barely know, been treated to meals, given tours of cities etc. I was stranded by myself in Greece once (couchsurfing, could not find my host, no bus and no hotel). I was literally wandering around on the street at 2 am freaking out. This Muslim family that had tried to help me find my host earlier (around midnight), saw me wandering around lost on the street, and they insisted that I stay with them. Not only that, they made me dinner (again this was at 2 am). Was I crazy for being in the situation in the first place? Probably. But out of all the human kindness I have ever experienced in my life, this is one that will stick with me forever. People are people. To judge someone based solely off of their religion is insane.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:30 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
The usual suspects spew their lack of knowledge and are proud about it.

I have been in several mosques in the US, UK, France, and Spain. Some have been fairly basic structures just used for prayer, while others have been works of art. I am a Jewish woman, generally wearing my Star of David necklace (which is pretty ostentatious- I like it that way ). Never had problems.

There are some rooms in some mosques that women are not allowed into. I don't know how that is a big deal, but coming from the Jewish tradition, that is normal. Orthodox women and Orthodox men are separated by a curtain during services. In some synagogues, there is still a balcony that women sit in while men have the floor- though that has fallen out of favor. Some of my best friends from college are shomer negia which means they will not touch a person of the opposite sex until they are married. Do I understand it? Scripturally yes, socially no. But that doesn't make it wrong.

If you're going to attack Muslims for separating women from men in some activities and requiring women to cover certain parts of their body, you need to also focus your attention on those dastardly Jews.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
This is something I really agree with. As a solo female traveler as well, I have been stunned by the number of times I have dined in the homes of Muslims that I barely know, been treated to meals, given tours of cities etc. I was stranded by myself in Greece once (couchsurfing, could not find my host, no bus and no hotel). I was literally wandering around on the street at 2 am freaking out. This Muslim family that had tried to help me find my host earlier (around midnight), saw me wandering around lost on the street, and they insisted that I stay with them. Not only that, they made me dinner (again this was at 2 am). Was I crazy for being in the situation in the first place? Probably. But out of all the human kindness I have ever experienced in my life, this is one that will stick with me forever. People are people. To judge someone based solely off of their religion is insane.
I agree, based on personal experiences I would have to say that if anything I would have to single out Muslims as being particularily helpful, and hospitable.

I have had a lot of very lively discussions with many Muslims on topics such as religion and politics ( and football to my horror as a non-sports fan , what do I know about Manchester United or St Etienne teams ? Nothing that's what ).

Like yourself I have been in some fairly potentially dodgy situations and rescued by people without them having the least bit of a hidden agenda.

The last time we were in Marrakech we were following a Wedding celebration at a respectful distance at night in the streets of the Kasbah and the father of the Bride came to us , insisted on inviting us to the Wedding and we ended up in this tiny cramped little appartment with about 200 guests ( all of them Moroccan ) being made to feel like guests of honour.

Nobody could have been kinder or more generous and we were being passed around friends and relatives like long lost children , embraced and kissed .It was almost overwhelming in its inclusiveness. Effusive, kind and lovely people.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:35 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If you're going to attack Muslims for separating women from men in some activities and requiring women to cover certain parts of their body, you need to also focus your attention on those dastardly Jews.
And Catholics.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:46 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

Catholics and Jews (Christians for that matter, too) both treat women like royalty compared to islam. Take an objective look.
Based on the definitions held by many here, Orthodox Jewish women are treated worse than moderate Muslims in the USA. That's not even going as far as shomer negiah or the Hassidics.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:47 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Based on the definitions held by many here, Orthodox Jewish women are treated worse than moderate Muslims in the USA. That's not even going as far as shomer negiah or the Hassidics.
Could you elaborate? Did I miss a post or two in this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies