Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,263,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If you spent any time teaching you would reevaluate the idea the teaching is "free" time. The teachers I knew not only worked all day they took work home as well. The right wing, like you, despises unions because they interfere with your right to impoverish working people to make more money for yourselves.
That's a might nice non-sequitur you got there.

How does your response come close to addressing the budget constraints of NJ and why the teacher's union basically laid off those teachers by refusing to compromise on pay freezes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,383,377 times
Quote:
If you spent any time teaching you would reevaluate the idea the teaching is "free" time. The teachers I knew not only worked all day they took work home as well. The right wing, like you, despises unions because they interfere with your right to impoverish working people to make more money for yourselves.

Who has NOT had at some point in time had to take work home or stay up all night preparing for a presentation for work? In today's world that is NORMAL.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:08 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,924,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
I'd like to see him talk that way to his corporate donors.

Talking down to the middle class who make this country what it is really doesn't impress me.
He must have missed the part of his job description that said he had to impress you. The good people of New Jersey would have something to be concerned about if he DID impress you. They've had enough of those kind of politicians already.

He's doing a great job.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:09 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,701,430 times
When I was working blue collar jobs I left work at work. When I was working white collar jobs I left work at work. None of the employers were paying me for work at home so I did not do any work at home. I meet my contractual obligations but never work for free.

If doing work at home is NORMAL then we have really lost our way. I would have nothing do with that kind of job. Bad enough to be cheated by an employer but worse to be cheated by yourself.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
But back to the point: The Left finds nothing at all wrong with teacher's unions, or unions of any kind, getting a free ride from the taxpayers.
Let's face it. 99% of the criticism they send Christie's way is based on his weight and his looks. In the blue state of NJ, if that's the best most of these people can do as he closes in on his first full year as Governor, he's obviously doing a very good job.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I am very glad he is not our governor.
I have lots of family in New Jersey. Democrats. And they're glad he's not your governor too. They like him right where he is, and that includes a number of people who didn't even vote for him.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:23 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,263,062 times
Quote:
When I was working blue collar jobs I left work at work. When I was working white collar jobs I left work at work. None of the employers were paying me for work at home so I did not do any work at home. I meet my contractual obligations but never work for free.

If doing work at home is NORMAL then we have really lost our way. I would have nothing do with that kind of job. Bad enough to be cheated by an employer but worse to be cheated by yourself.
As long as China, India, and even many European countries remain highly competitive, it will be necessary to work even after "working hours". It's a global marketplace, and that includes education. What worked for you in the past is not necessarily relevant. Many teachers don't mind doing the work at home because they know the effort they're applying will help students. They're not as lazy or shiftless as you'd like them to be.

Wanting the US to be like Greece or Italy (PIIGS mind you) where leisure time is mandated for everyone is a recipe for disaster. There is a law of diminishing returns granted (we must eat, sleep and have SOME leisure time), but it exists beyond the cushy 40 hour workweek.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:23 AM

783 posts, read 814,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
I'd like to see him talk that way to his corporate donors.

Talking down to the middle class who make this country what it is really doesn't impress me.
Thats what republicans like Chrisitie do best dismantiling the middle class and impovershing the working class through regressive and debt making tax cuts wich are financed by sharp tax increases on the middle and working class.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:33 AM

59 posts, read 51,496 times
The more I see the more I like. I wish more of our leaders were like him.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:43 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,835,325 times
I appreciate that he tells it like it is. He doesnt hold back. He doesnt speak in circles. He tells you directly what he thinks and how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies