Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
According to the the U.S. census US capital investment in foreign countries has gone from $1.3 trillion in 2000 to $3.2 trillion in 2008 while at the same time the Bush tax cuts which overwhelmingly went to the wealthy cost 1.3 trillion per politifact. So the wealthy essentially took their tax cuts, intended per the Republicans to spur U.S. jobs, and invested them and more in foreign countries, not the U.S.

We need to stop giving the rich tax breaks. They are not helping anyone else but themselves.
Well you need to lo at why. The democrtats came into office taking congress thre years ago. Last year the US went from #1 i which to invest to #2. This year it feel to #4. Its no wander with the democrats being anti-business. We have the second highest corporate rates i the world. the you have a adminsitration that preaches the evil of business evey other day and wanders why business isn't investing here. Now with 1.2 trillio dollars added to teh defcit in 11 months that means ven more taxes and fees in the future. Nothing is free;polictican just make stupid people thin so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 12:33 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
I like statistics. If only 70 million Americans have $3 Trillion does that mean that 230 million Americans have diddly squat in theirs? If 230 million have zilich what does this say about the American future? Its going to a real American temper tantrum lets say by 2016.
Not to worry. Obama has recognized the gross unfairness of this. Why should only those who work and contribute have 401Ks??? On what planet would that be fair??? So he plans to propose the American Retirement Redistribution Act (ARRA) to correct this horrible inequity.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
People who arnt rich spend the money they get in tax cuts and thus help to create consumer demand whiles wealthy people who already have alot of money save the money they get in tax cuts so regressive tax cuts targeted att the wealthiest is detrimental for consumer spending and demand.
Perhaps if the average American didn't spend the money they received in tax cuts/tax refunds but rather invested it so that it would grow, they would also be wealthy.

Smart people not only work for their money but also put their money to work. Consider how well a behavior change would benefit the average American.

"It is not what you have; it is what you don't spend."

Old 09-10-2010, 05:11 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
And a poor person never stripped your town of its value, leaving behind big boxes and low-paying crapjobs.
They strip towns of their value in other ways.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
According to the the U.S. census US capital investment in foreign countries has gone from $1.3 trillion in 2000 to $3.2 trillion in 2008 while at the same time the Bush tax cuts which overwhelmingly went to the wealthy cost 1.3 trillion per politifact. So the wealthy essentially took their tax cuts, intended per the Republicans to spur U.S. jobs, and invested them and more in foreign countries, not the U.S.

We need to stop giving the rich tax breaks. They are not helping anyone else but themselves.
You follow the growth. The growth is NOT happening the US.
Wake up there...no one wants to invest in a loser.
Money has been flying out of the US for a few years now with class envy mounting and "get the rich" rhetoric coming from the WH.

Heck, I'm even invested in foreign companies because I want MY money to grow.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:39 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times
Lightbulb ~~~*~~~

If you're investing in other countries and not supporting the American economy then you are part of the problem and not part of the solution.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:50 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
I strongly disagree with that statement, I hardly believe this home belongs to someone who is rich. May some people believe a rich person made these people slobs.

That may be one of the mosque developers homes.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:56 PM

95 posts, read 141,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Or maybe you need to stop bitching about what people do with THEIR money and go earn more for yourself...

I'm not rich, but they earned it, it is theirs to do with what they want. It's none of your business or mine...

Damn straight.

If you are rich and want to give your money away in taxes, go ahead.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I remkemeber when the Katrina evacuteees got there fema cards. The jewlery stores did a huge amount of business here, Just shows really.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Seems like the developing third world countries have been growing their economies over the past decade, are you proposing that America develop a national policy where we ostracize the rest of the world, that we stick our heads in the sand and ignore the rest of the world?

I know you probably lump all of "the rich" into one basket, as if they are all Gordon Gecko from the movie Wall Street. But most of the people that 0bama refers to as "the rich," those who file their income tax es at or above $250,000, are small business owners in your own city. I seriously doubt the person that owns two local area pizza parlors is investing in a third one over in India.
I am a small business owner employing 4 people full time. The 'rich' who are remodeling their first and second homes make up a significant portion of our clientele. These aren't the Gordon Geckos, but the doctors, lawyers, pizzeria owners, etc. in the community.

I am hardly rich but considered 'rich' by the Obama standard. If I get taxed more heavily, or if my clientele is taxed more heavily, it will negatively impact my business and ultimately send more people to the unemployment line.

If allowed the write-offs that are being discussed, there are a few machines that would be an excellent complement for my business, would grow it, and would allow me to hire on at least one or two more men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies