Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 05:14 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
So quitting half way through your term is considered AWESOME. Next time I get hired for a job I'll do 50% and tell my employer that it's awesome work, lets see if he agrees.

Not one penny is coming from my pocket, so I could care less.

Is that your retort to a criticism of Palin, Obam, blah blah blah, Obama, blah blah blah. Seems like that is the only defense Palinites have against criticism, is to bring up someone else.
Kind of like the way the only defense Obama and the Obamazombies have is by blaming Bush?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 05:14 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
California would be awash in cash if it had the per capita federal dollars rolling in the way Alaska does:
The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxes Paid vs. Federal Spending Received by State, 1981-2005

California is, of course, a state that sends far more $ to DC than it receives. It's one of the states that helps keep afloat the states that can't fend for themselves without outside assistance. States like Alaska.
Our country could not fend for itself if not for the 40% of Alaska's federal funds that goes toward protecting the Pacific Coast with radar and missile defenses.

And as was already clearly laid out earlier in this topic, California takes in $1.31 for every $1.00 paid in taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
And of course, the red states are on the receiving end, and the blue state are on the giving end, in general.
Blue states subsidize the other fund sucking blue states. These are the top 5 states by the deficit they run with the federal government:

Virginia: -$96 billion
California: -$81 billion
Florida: -$65 billion
Maryland: -$47 billion
Michigan: -$35 billion

Virginia is excused since most of their deficit with the feds (like Alaska) is national defense related.

Only 4 states maintained positive balances, and they do not even come close to making up for top drainers. In fact, if we add all these together they do not even cover half of Virginia's deficit;

New Jersey: +$22 billion
Minnesota: +$21 billion
Delaware: +$5 billion
Connecticut: +$2 billion
Illinois: +$60 million

Of course, this is all very silly to compare, considering that in nearly all 50 states, the biggest cost was in the form of social security and retirement checks. Naturally this puts the big retirement destinations or states with higher median ages at a major disadvantage. Plus, most of these transactions occur between individuals and the federal government, or between the federal government and federal installations (such as office buildings, military bases, or prisons) completely circumventing state governments.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Our country could not fend for itself if not for the 40% of Alaska's federal funds that goes toward protecting the Pacific Coast with radar and missile defenses.

And as was already clearly laid out earlier in this topic, California takes in $1.31 for every $1.00 paid in taxes.

Blue states subsidize the other fund sucking blue states. These are the top 5 states by the deficit they run with the federal government:

Virginia: -$96 billion
California: -$81 billion
Florida: -$65 billion
Maryland: -$47 billion
Michigan: -$35 billion

Virginia is excused since most of their deficit with the feds (like Alaska) is national defense related.

Only 4 states maintained positive balances, and they do not even come close to making up for top drainers. In fact, if we add all these together they do not even cover half of Virginia's deficit;

New Jersey: +$22 billion
Minnesota: +$21 billion
Delaware: +$5 billion
Connecticut: +$2 billion
Illinois: +$60 million

Of course, this is all very silly to compare, considering that in nearly all 50 states, the biggest cost was in the form of social security and retirement checks. Naturally this puts the big retirement destinations or states with higher median ages at a major disadvantage. Plus, most of these transactions occur between individuals and the federal government, or between the federal government and federal installations (such as office buildings, military bases, or prisons) completely circumventing state governments.
I thought Illinois was deeply in debt? Colorado must have a balanced budget, and can't run a surplus due to tax limitation legislation.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:11 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I thought Illinois was deeply in debt? Colorado must have a balanced budget, and can't run a surplus due to tax limitation legislation.
This has nothing at all to do with state budgets. Those figures are for federal payroll, excise, corporate, and individual income tax collections vs. federal funding distributed within the state.

Ultimately it has no meaning, but still interesting to see how much money is allocated to each state/individuals in that state.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:14 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
This thread is ridiculous. When the OP or anyone else calls out palin, the Palin cults have nothing better to come up with except "I love the way she scares libs" or do something to attack whatever state is being defended. As many of you ignored, there were conservatives in this thread posting about how they themselves don't like Palin and yet the Palin cult goes after the Liberals still. I could say the same damn thing. I love Obama because he pisses off the right. GROW UP!

Old 09-11-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I might have 95 cents or so in the ashtray of my fish truck; soon as I can afford one of those fancy airmails stamps I'll see about getting it on it's way.

I think we don't have no paved roads and such because the ex gov. didn't know our island is part of the state of Alaska, thought we were Africa I guess.

Tell ya what. The winter before last, the people of the Yukon Delta were in literal crisis mode. A carton of eggs cost $22. There were no salmon for them that year because of some pesky little federal regulations.

The governor was chasing every camera in site while the people had no pork chops to eat.
I'm a brunette but I am confused in a dumb blonde way by this. Are you saying that the ex gov left her state's people in the dust?

Old 09-11-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Interesting. But I somehow doubt that my developing voice on issues societal will be relegated to the "ash heap of history." They may be forgotten completely, I am just an average Jane after all, but ash heap, hmmm, no.

If you think my opinions are important and disgusting enough to go to that mammoth ash heap so be it. I really don't care.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
You missed one, ..she has an IQ of a plant. But I have to agree with you. She needs to take a trip on her bridge to nowhere...
People, like plants, need love. Research has shown this. As much as I do not like the direction Palin has taken, I do believe having love from her supporters is important. I would hate to see this woman in a love deprived and malnourished state. It could get even uglier on her Twitter page which would be exhausting for media to deal with.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:30 PM

958 posts, read 2,621,674 times
If she had actually finished her term, she might at least have the right to make such a ridiculous comment. The fact she quit, and therefore FAILED to complete the term she was elected to, gives her no credibility. She's nothing but a whiner. She couldn't stand the heat, and got out of the kitchen. Worthless quitter. Why anyone would look up to her is beyond me.

Nixon quit after two years of his elected term. So did she.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:32 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post

No, took in, not takes in -- for one year -- 2009. From 1986 through 2005, California received between $0.99 (1986) and $0.78 (2005) for every $1.00 paid in taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies