Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 01:16 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times

Advertisements

Here is what we SHOULD do:

1. We should maintain strong military and intelligence capabilities and use them to the best of our abilities, in coordination with our allies, to target credible terrorist threats (Muslims or other), both domestic and foreign, and act with force at the appropriate time to neutralize the threat. We should root out these threats wherever they are.

2. We should enforce our Constitution and supporting laws against Muslims of any residential status, even when they contradict their personal / religious beliefs. Our laws safeguard basic individual rights and specify criminal acts. If Muslims (or anyone else, for that matter) act in contradiction to our laws, whether to do us harm or to act on any of their personal beliefs that violate our core Constitutional values, we should apprehend them and hold them accountable in a court of law.

3. We should be watchful of any actions in our local neighborhoods that violate laws, and we should invoke police intervention when there is legitimate concern that we are in harm's way.

4. We should remain proud of our values and our society. We should not change anything about our core values simply because some small group of extremists somewhere else doesn't like them. And if attacked, we should defend ourselves with full and brutal force.

Here is what we SHOULD NOT do:

1. We should not burn their religious texts and engage in other indiscriminate acts of hatred. Yes, we have the right to free speech, but having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do - just look at the KKK. At best, it is a very childish display that does nothing to further the interests of our security and Constitutional values. At worse, it makes us that much more similar to the bad people we oppose, and takes us a few steps down the paths that lead to crosses burning in lawns, black people sitting in the backs of buses, women being not allowed to vote, and Japanese people forced into internment camps - all results of indiscriminate fear and hatred run amok.

2. We should not give in to the same despicable example set by many ignorant Muslims, either here or in the Middle East, who burn American flags, Bibles, or whatever else. As a world-class society founded upon high ideals, we should recognize that we can be better than that. Those who are followers of Christ (and there are many in this country), should already know that they are called upon to be better than that. Just because they act in stupid ways doesn't mean that it is smart for us to reciprocate their stupid behavior as well.

Instead, we should remain true to our values, act decisively against credible threats, and just ignore the ignorant masses.

We can be proud, determined Americans who are tough on our enemies without sacrificing the basic values that made this a great nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 01:20 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
*Switches to liberal mode* Or we can just be tolerant, and let them cut my head off because I disagree with all of their religious principles, in the name of tolerance. And since I am a tolerant, open-minded individual (after all, I have many black, latino, and Muslim friends) I wouldn't mind if we gave them Sharia law as well, even if it means I'll die because I disagree with them on homosexuality and abortion.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:22 PM

475 posts, read 570,954 times
We should treat them no differently than anyone else.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:37 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
*Switches to liberal mode* Or we can just be tolerant, and let them cut my head off because I disagree with all of their religious principles, in the name of tolerance. And since I am a tolerant, open-minded individual (after all, I have many black, latino, and Muslim friends) I wouldn't mind if we gave them Sharia law as well, even if it means I'll die because I disagree with them on homosexuality and abortion.
That's a pretty stupid, ignorant response. Obviously, you didn't read anything I wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies