Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 11:28 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I know several people who type at a computer screen keyboard with a pointer stick attached to their foreheads because they can't move anything below the neck. There are all kinds of special software on the market to help people with different kinds of disabilities---poor eye sight, poor hand control, no hand control, voice controlled, etc, etc. So if I was you, I'd put that judgmental card back in the box because computer use is a main life-line in the disabled community. In other words the ability to use a computer has nothing to do with being disabled, or not.
I can't imagine any of those people driving with a pointer stick so it has nothing to do with parking spaces. Point is all the people on this board who are screaming about walking the extra 30 feet into the store sure seem to be making it over to complain about it on the computer easy enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 11:32 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
I can't imagine any of those people driving with a pointer stick so it has nothing to do with parking spaces. Point is all the people on this board who are screaming about walking the extra 30 feet into the store sure seem to be making it over to complain about it on the computer easy enough.
Seems to me the same could be said about you "screaming about having to walk an extra 30 feet" into the store.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:33 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,090 times
Quote:
If you were up earlier you could take your pain meds earlier thus giving them time to work and taking care of your "handicapped" issue.
Clearly you have never experienced herniated disc and the pain associated with it. The pain has woken me up at 5am in the morning AND I would be stiff as a board in addition to that (because it is morning). I would look like a 90 year old man walking in the mornings, as if I SHOULD'VE had a cane. You also apparently have not experienced how long it takes for pain meds to take the edge off, let alone how long it takes the stiffness to work itself out.

Count your blessings.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:39 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Everyone is handicapped but everyone seems to be making it over to the computer just fine. Hmm.
My friend can't sit, stand, or lie down for more than two hours at a time, according to her doctor. She has insomnia from the pain, which her meds aren't touching. If she has to drive on a rough road, make a sharp turn, or slam on her brakes--or rides with someone who does those manuevers--it causes her pain.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Clearly you have never experienced herniated disc and the pain associated with it. The pain has woken me up at 5am in the morning AND I would be stiff as a board in addition to that (because it is morning). I would look like a 90 year old man walking in the mornings, as if I SHOULD'VE had a cane. You also apparently have not experienced how long it takes for pain meds to take the edge off, let alone how long it takes the stiffness to work itself out.

Count your blessings.
L5-S1 L4-L5. So spare me.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
L5-S1 L4-L5. So spare me.
So why don't you request a handicapped hangtag?

Old 09-13-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
So why don't you request a handicapped hangtag?
Because I have a sense of pride. I'd feel terrible if I hopped out of my car parked in a handicapped spot and saw someone who actually needed it. I'd be ashamed. Others do not share my sentiments. Unless I'm completely crippled I'm not doing it.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Because I have a sense of pride. I'd feel terrible if I hopped out of my car parked in a handicapped spot and saw someone who actually needed it. I'd be ashamed. Others do not share my sentiments. Unless I'm completely crippled I'm not doing it.
Pride IS a handicap (one of the seven deadly sins). So you are going to condemn the rest of us that take care of our disabilities? I have a disabled dependent too, I HAVE to take care of myself, its not just about me.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
You're either disabled or you're not. If you are, there is no shame in admitting it. Especially when everyone around you can tell there is something wrong with you.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:25 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Because I have a sense of pride.
That's something I wonder too, I've got a very strong "I'll do it myself" attitude and wonder if it would prevent me from using those spaces even if I qualified, or would I suck it up and walk the extra 40 feet from another space.

Not saying people who qualify for them shouldn't use them, but when I see someone take the closest one to the door then practically trot into the store I often wonder if there isn't a sense of chivalry among those with the tags where you might leave the closest or last one to someone else that might come along that is worse off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies