Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 11:50 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
For every doctor who doesn't care and who "will pretty much write you a script to keep you coming back to the office"---as SickofNYC is claiming---there are ten doctors who are overly cautious about giving people a script to get a handicapped parking permit. Have any of you nay-sayers ever seen the document that doctors have to certify and be held accountable for? They can get in big trouble if they are caught falsifying one, including jail time. Here's a copy of my state's document and it clearly spells out the exact conditions that makes a person eligible.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/bfs-108_16249_7.pdf
this has been my experience too. with the exception of my blindness, my doctors have always been cautious about signing anything disability-related. and i imagine the only reason my eye doctors were so willing is because i had already been to most of their colleagues who had already taken down a long history of my case.

every doctor i've been to has always insisted on testing and developing a doctor-patient relationship before prescribing meds or signing disability papers. i doubt any of my doctors would just sign off on papers or dish out meds to a patient they had barely gotten to know yet.

maybe you work in healthcare, sickofnyc, but unless you have a disability yourself or are very close to someone who does, i don't think you realize all the crap most disabled people have to go through just to get what they need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 01:58 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Okay I acknowledge that many people suffer conditions that aren't visible to the naked eye, but.... come on there is no way all these people I see parking in handicap spots then trotting into a mall to walk miles to shop need that tag. I've never been disabled so it is quite easy to preach, but I would like to think I'd have personal pride where my wife would argue with me to park in a handicap spot.

You know what I'd love to see? All the handicap spots filled up by people who exhibit no symptoms, then as two of 'em are returning to their car some guy with no legs dragging himself past them since only available parking was farther away. Would they feel shame? Is there no sense of "leave last spot" chivalry among uses of the handicap spots?

I know you guys eye the people who park there just like I do, trying to discern what malady hinders them. When you can't figure it out how do you feel? Always assume it's okay they must have some inner issue that you don't see? Benefit of the doubt?

I am always suspicious, evil me. I can't help it.
My father is 90 now and has a lot of trouble walking because of a knee that he wishes he had replaced when he was younger. He had the other one done but, this one wasn't as bad at the time so, he put it off and now he regrets it. He got a hadicapped plate for the car last year. I don't know about other states but, here in Arizona it required his doctors authorization to get it. Some days are better than others for him.....sometimes he needs his walker, other days his cane is enough and then there are also times he needs nothing.

At this point, I drive him around most of the time. When I do, I often have to drop him off or pick him up from some place. When I do this, I use his car and I park in the handicapped spot and I help him inside where ever he's going or go inand get him if I'm picking him up.

I'm someone you might see parked in a handicapped spot and depending upon whether or not I'm picking him up or dropping him off, walking to or from the car alone, with no problems at all.......so, just because the people you're seeing aren't in a wheel chair, there may be a reasonable explanation for it.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:57 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
You know, I've never seen anyone with a cast on their leg get a handicapped tag. It's a temporary situation, and they aren't given any special treatment, although their mobility is certainly going to be limited for a number of weeks.

They just don't hand them out with the free toothbrushes.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:50 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
One form of COPD.

https://health.google.com/health/ref...monary+disease

And the person who's post I was referring to stated that the condition was caused by smoking. Reading is fundamental.
My point is, if you approached someone about why they were parked in the handicapped spot and they told you they had emphysema, would you assume they were a lifelong smoker?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:09 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,031 times
The people who illegaly park in the handicap spots are the very scumbags we here on CD discuss as the “welfare leaches†and the “selfish richâ€. They are of the same cast and they have no regard for others; profiting, in some way, off of the misfortune of others. Those who abuse the system to get their “Handicap†stickers will one day get what they wished for but with a sick twist of irony.
To take advantage of an opportunity is progress as long as it doesn’t hinder progress of others; it’s all in the intension, you know who you are and you know the difference between right and wrong.
I often think of these folks who disregard handicap parking places as the “bottom of the gene pool†are “primitive brainedâ€. In my world they would be weeded out.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Actually its been my experience "they" are somewhat stingy giving out handicapped permits. I've known several epople with legit handicaps who could benefit from a permit, but were denied it.

I guess its the perception that those who park in such places should be in a wheelchair, since that's the symbol they use. Well, they have to put something there!

But I have known many people use me as the "standard'. If you can get a handicapped permit, I should be able to as well. They don't know the extent of my disabilities, since they are not always obvious.

Also, just to set something straight here----all those with a handicapped parking permit are not automatically receiving disability benefits. Its amazing, the people who think I'm somehow receiveing a free ride from the govt just because I park in a handicapped place. One has nothing to do with the other. Don't go making assumptions, then act as though they are true. At least people should get their facts straight.

Like the time I had my van keyed by a group of "Christian mothers" because I parked in a handicapped spot in front of a day care center. Also, they made snide remarks about a then recent trip we took to disney, as though we somehow were sponging off the govt for a vacation, when in actuality we paid for it from our salaries, no govt handouts for Disney. Some "Christians" just to assume their assumptions are correct then treat a "fellow Christian" like some sort of dirt and think they are justified. sorta circular logic,

If you are in a wheechair, you don't need to park up front. You have your own ride and should be at the very BACK of the parking lot.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:34 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
If you are in a wheechair, you don't need to park up front. You have your own ride and should be at the very BACK of the parking lot.
Have you ever tried pushing a wheelchair over snow, ice and through rain? If you spend a day in a wheelchair you wouldn't be saying this. And just so you'll know, you can't always just drop a disabled person off at the door and have them wait for you to park the car. Safety issues or in some cases cognitive issues may be involved. And if you're one of the "fortunate" people in a wheelchair who doesn't need a driver---many don't---going across a parking lot in a chair is outright dangerous because people can't see you very well, not to mention that handicap spaces are extra wide which is necessary for transferring in and out of chairs.

My husband has been in a wheelchair for 10 years and we know dozens of chair users and have heard 100s of stories. How much contact have you had with people using wheelchairs?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:37 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Have you ever tried pushing a wheelchair over snow, ice and through rain? If you spend a day in a wheelchair you wouldn't be saying this. And just so you'll know, you can't always just drop a disabled person off at the door and have them wait for you to park the car because of either safety issues or in some cases cognitive issues. And if you're one of the "fortunate" people in a wheelchair who doesn't need a driver---many don't---going across a parking lot in a chair is outright dangerous because people can't see you very well, not to mention that handicap spaces are extra wide which is necessary for transferring in and out of chairs.

My response was meant in jest.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:41 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,385 times
Quote:
thank God! I was ready to "rock and roll"!!!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
i was just about to ask you that...good to know. lol. one less ignorant person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies