Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 08:28 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Did you read the part about having to burn 3500 calories to lose ONE pound? You'd have to clean lots of houses to burn that many calories. A pound of fat weighs as much as a pound of fat. There is no magic formula...excess calories become fat. Sorry to tell you, but you're eating too much.

"Genetics" don't make people gain weight. Food does. And even IF genetics predisposed you to gain weight, it doesn't make it okay to be obese.
i never said genetics makes you gain weight. i was saying just that--some people are more prone to weight gain because of their genetics. for some people it's such a tough battle it's not worth it in their opinion. i'm not saying these people deserve handicapped parking, i'm just saying you can't fairly assume that every obese person is a lazy overeater.

i'm not eating too much cause i'm within my recommended weight (female, 5'3", 113 lbs). but my wife is underweight (5'1", 90 lbs), which is the only reason i have more fat content. personally, i would hate to become fat, but that doesn't give me the right to judge others based on assumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
How we got to 'swallowing issues' from obese people parking in handicapped spots, I don't know. But. Obese people, those who were fine until they became obese and THEN got diabetes, high blood pressure, muscular-skeletal problems- those people should NOT be given handicapped spots.
You're the one that questioned why anyone would drink Ensure instead of eating well balanced meals and I was pointing out that many disabled people use it. I have a niece with MS and she has swallowing issues and she uses handicapped spaces...and Ensure. She's maybe 15 pounds overweight now but then she's young. Give her a gain of only 3-5 pounds a year there will be a point when people like you will see her in her electric wheelchair and you will judge her as not deserving to use handicap spaces when, in fact, she eats and drinks very little. And it should be mentioned, too, that a lot of the drugs that disabled people have to take make them gain weight as a side effect---steroids and some antidepressants to name a few. Drugs for osteoarthritis. Check out the drug connection at the link below or google it below if you don't trust John Hopkins.

http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts....ert_656-1.html

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 09-17-2010 at 08:40 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 08:43 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You're the one that questioned why anyone would drink Ensure instead of eating well balanced meals and I was pointing out that many disabled people use it. I have a niece with MS and she has swallowing issues and she uses handicapped spaces...and Ensure. She's maybe 15 pounds overweight now but then she's young. Give her a gain of only 3-5 pounds a year there will be a point when people like you will see her in her electric wheelchair and you will judge her as not deserving to use handicap spaces when, in fact, she eats and drinks very little. And it should be mentioned, too, that a lot of the drugs that disabled people have to take make them gain weight as a side effect---steroids and some antidepressants to name a few. Drugs for osteoarthritis. Check out the drug connection at the link below or google it below if you don't trust John Hopkins.

Johns Hopkins: Prescription Drugs on medication-related weight gain
Obfuscate and justify all you like, obese people don't belong in handicapped spots.

People with MS need and deserve and handicapped parking spot.

[ps from your article: If you suspect that you’re putting on weight because of a medication you’re taking, talk to your doctor. ... You also may need to change your eating habits and boost physical activity]

Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Obfuscate and justify all you like, obese people don't belong in handicapped spots.

People with MS need and deserve and handicapped parking spot.

[ps from your article: If you suspect that you’re putting on weight because of a medication you’re taking, talk to your doctor. ... You also may need to change your eating habits and boost physical activity]
How about trusting the medical community and the DMV to make those judgment calls regarding fat people and what causes their unique condition? It's not the job/right/duty/place of a causal observer to decide who and who doesn't deserve to use a handicapped parking space.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:06 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
How about trusting the medical community and the DMV to make those judgment calls regarding fat people and what causes their unique condition? It's not the job/right/duty/place of a causal observer to decide who and who doesn't deserve to use a handicapped parking space.
seconded.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:35 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
I believe this is the place to exchange opinions. I disagree with the medical community and the DMV giving obese people a handicapped placard.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:50 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Anyone who is handicapped in any way can park in those spots as far as I'm concerned. If it's all someone can do to get from their car to wherever they are going it's no skin of my, or anyone else's, nose. Whether it's "their fault" or not is not even an issue...it's not a reward for god's sake. If you really see it that way then you are a some kind of lazy sucka. And I sure as hell don't want anyone getting to JUDGE whether or not the handicap is worthy by investigating the private life and habits of the person involved. Come on now, who would want to live in a world that incredibly petty and invasive when you personally will NEVER be harmed by who parks in those spots?

Old 09-18-2010, 06:31 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,212 times
Quote:
For starters I don't trust the DMV to tie their own shoe laces nevermind make a judgment on who should get passes. Secondly do you really feel obesity is a "unique condition". Have you been to the local walmart lately? I don't think unique is the word we should be using here.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:38 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,212 times
Dear Mr. President:
During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

While glancing over her patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medicaid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one pack of cigarettes every day, eats only at fast-food take-outs, and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer. And, you and our Congress expect me to pay for this woman's health care? I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture" a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. It is a culture based in the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

Respectfully,
ROGER STARNER JONES, MD

Good to see I'm not alone.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Come on. Most fat people are fat because they eat too much- not because they exercise too little. That's such a fallacy. To lose one pound, you have to exercise and burn 3,500 calories. Do you know how hard that is? You'd basically have to run at 4.0 miles per hour for 20 hours. To GAIN a pound, you have to eat 3,500 calories. Do you know how easy that is? It's basically a Big Mac Value Meal.

Someone who is paralyzed and immobile shouldn't eat very much- being obese just complicates their health, as it does everyone, even the able bodied.
Either/or. I need to gain weight--I could either eat more (and probably should) or decrease my activity level (and I just don't see that happening).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies