Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 07:05 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It is funny to watch people who can't walk an extra 100 feet to the front door of a store but can walk around the store for one or two hours with no problem.

Handicapped parking is a politicians dream and a taxpayer nightmare.
Except that many of those store have a) motorized carts that the people use, or B) the person doesn't spend two hours in the store.

My room mate, who I've spoken of previously, spends no more than 20 minutes in a store. In fact, the biggest setback to her getting out quickly is having to wait in line at the registers. She makes a list of what she wants to buy, knows where everything in the store is (unless they move things around, which sometimes happens, but not often), and gets in and out as quickly as she can. It hurts her to walk, it hurts her to stand--but the groceries aren't going to buy themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 07:08 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Dear Mr. President:
During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

While glancing over her patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medicaid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one pack of cigarettes every day, eats only at fast-food take-outs, and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer. And, you and our Congress expect me to pay for this woman's health care? I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture" a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. It is a culture based in the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

Respectfully,
ROGER STARNER JONES, MD

Good to see I'm not alone.

What does this have to do with Handicapped access to a parking spot by the disabled? And who is this doctor TO JUDGE his patients, he took a Hippocratic Oath to DO NO HARM (that includes NOT ASSUMING, NOT JUDGING, NOT GIVING PATIENTS THE STINK EYE ). A doctor's job is to HELP with the patient's MEDICAL needs, and to ADVOCATE for the patient's MEDICAL needs.

And the nation's health care crisis will go away when the greedy for-profit wealth insurance corporations go away.

Last edited by aspiesmom; 09-18-2010 at 07:16 AM..

Old 09-18-2010, 07:39 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Anyone who is handicapped in any way can park in those spots as far as I'm concerned. If it's all someone can do to get from their car to wherever they are going it's no skin of my, or anyone else's, nose. Whether it's "their fault" or not is not even an issue...it's not a reward for god's sake. If you really see it that way then you are a some kind of lazy sucka. And I sure as hell don't want anyone getting to JUDGE whether or not the handicap is worthy by investigating the private life and habits of the person involved. Come on now, who would want to live in a world that incredibly petty and invasive when you personally will NEVER be harmed by who parks in those spots?
Unfortunately, people who are TRULY handicapped are harmed by people who ARENT using their spaces.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:54 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
For starters I don't trust the DMV to tie their own shoe laces nevermind make a judgment on who should get passes. Secondly do you really feel obesity is a "unique condition". Have you been to the local walmart lately? I don't think unique is the word we should be using here.
By "unique condition" most people---unless they're being deliberately obtuse----know I meant that each person's medical condition and patient history is unique to them, not that obesity in itself is unique.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:54 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Except that many of those store have a) motorized carts that the people use, or B) the person doesn't spend two hours in the store.

My room mate, who I've spoken of previously, spends no more than 20 minutes in a store. In fact, the biggest setback to her getting out quickly is having to wait in line at the registers. She makes a list of what she wants to buy, knows where everything in the store is (unless they move things around, which sometimes happens, but not often), and gets in and out as quickly as she can. It hurts her to walk, it hurts her to stand--but the groceries aren't going to buy themselves.

I did not mean to imply that EVERYONE with a handicapped sticker is faking. But I have observed a few who do walk around the store for an hour or more with no problem.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It is funny to watch people who can't walk an extra 100 feet to the front door of a store but can walk around the store for one or two hours with no problem.

Handicapped parking is a politicians dream and a taxpayer nightmare.
It's a little weird that you're watching these people. I had a handicapped sticker for my mother. I would take her with me to the grocery store, Wal Mart, etc b/c I couldn't leave her at home alone, and I'd sit her down in the snack bar area while I shopped. I'd get her a cup of coffee and do a few aisles, then check on her. And so on, till I got my shopping done.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:04 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
What does this have to do with Handicapped access to a parking spot by the disabled? And who is this doctor TO JUDGE his patients, he took a Hippocratic Oath to DO NO HARM (that includes NOT ASSUMING, NOT JUDGING, NOT GIVING PATIENTS THE STINK EYE ). A doctor's job is to HELP with the patient's MEDICAL needs, and to ADVOCATE for the patient's MEDICAL needs.

And the nation's health care crisis will go away when the greedy for-profit wealth insurance corporations go away.
It has everything to do with the point I've been making since the beginning of this thread. No personal responsibility. I can do what I want and everyone else will take care of me. If I smoke, no problem I'll just get an O2 tank and a handicapped sticker and everyone else will get out of my way.
He has every right to judge his patients. It's his observation and his opinion just like you have yours.

The original Hippocratic oath also says that they will not help with abortions we all know how that worked out. It also says nothing of judging or assumptions and definitley not anything in there about stink eye. Who are you to decide what the doctor should do? Are you on your states board of health?

And your last statement makes my point perfectly. It's not us, it's not our decisions that cause this problem it's somebody else. It's ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSES FAULT. Thank you for making my point for me.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
By "unique condition" most people---unless they're being deliberately obtuse----know I meant that each person's medical condition and patient history is unique to them, not that obesity in itself is unique.
Yeah I going to have to disagree with you here again. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most peoples obesity problems are probably very similar if not exactly the same. Poor eating habits combined with a lack of activity. Also great use of obtuse, not a commonly used word but could be used several times to describe this thread alone.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:13 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,090 times
Quote:
It has everything to do with the point I've been making since the beginning of this thread. No personal responsibility. I can do what I want and everyone else will take care of me. If I smoke, no problem I'll just get an O2 tank and a handicapped sticker and everyone else will get out of my way.
He has every right to judge his patients. It's his observation and his opinion just like you have yours.

The original Hippocratic oath also says that they will not help with abortions we all know how that worked out. It also says nothing of judging or assumptions and definitley not anything in there about stink eye. Who are you to decide what the doctor should do? Are you on your states board of health?

And your last statement makes my point perfectly. It's not us, it's not our decisions that cause this problem it's somebody else. It's ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSES FAULT. Thank you for making my point for me.
Patients decide with our feet, then we call the board.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:38 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Yeah I going to have to disagree with you here again. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most peoples obesity problems are probably very similar if not exactly the same. Poor eating habits combined with a lack of activity. Also great use of obtuse, not a commonly used word but could be used several times to describe this thread alone.
I'll not continue to debate the causes and effects of obesity in this thread because none of us are going to change anyone's opinion. Some of us see the issue in black and whites, and some of see the grays in between.

Here's a nugget for you. I'll agree that there is a small percentage of people (and probably doctors included) who cheat the system when it comes to abusing and handing out handicapped parking permit applications. BUT I seriously doubt that cheating percentage is any larger in the disability community than it is in any other area of life. For example, what percentage of people cut in lines, take 15 items in the 10 items or less lane, cheat on their income taxes, will take change out of a charity jar if no one is looking, and are always looking for ways to game themselves something they didn't earn or deserve? Life is full of takers and givers so why the disproportionate anger and resentment towards people using the laws spelled out by the Americans with Disabilities Act? Handicap parking spaces don't inconvenience able-bodied people in any meaningful way. They don't cost you any money, in fact they save you tax dollars by helping families keep love-ones out of nursing homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Unfortunately, people who are TRULY handicapped are harmed by people who AREN'T using their spaces.
I'd dare say that far more handicapped parking space abuse comes from self-centered people who are using their grandparents' or stolen hang tags than by obese people who have gone through the vetting process of getting a permit from their doctors and the DMV.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 09-18-2010 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies