Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 04:56 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
When I'm in the States, my family calls the handicapped parking places "the always empty spots."

Guess I live in a polite city.
This hasn't been my experience. I hang out with a lot of people who have a HC parking placard and the HC spots are almost never all empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 05:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I watched a young man ride his motorcycle up to a spot and hang the tag on the windshield. Curious about the m'cycle and a handicap tag I just watched. After he parked he unfolded a crutch and set it against the tank. Then he reached into a saddle bag and took out his lower leg prosthetic. He put on the leg and limped away. I stopped him and said, "Mine?" He responded with "We call them IED's". I just said, "Welcome home, brother."

Just another example of the real cost of War.

Last edited by GregW; 07-12-2011 at 06:25 AM..

Old 07-12-2011, 06:25 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Someome else's fat is wear and tear on YOUR joints?

If someone is unhealthy enough to need a handicapped card then nothing is easy for them. Your "tough love" isn't going to cut it if they can't get around in the first place. Feel sorry for them...then go about your own business because they probably won't have a long life.

I always wonder about people who zero in on someone who, even if through their own actions, is in an unfortunate situation and then yell "your fault! your fault!"
Maybe the poster is dating a fat person?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:07 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,860,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Did you read the part about having to burn 3500 calories to lose ONE pound? You'd have to clean lots of houses to burn that many calories. A pound of fat weighs as much as a pound of fat. There is no magic formula...excess calories become fat. Sorry to tell you, but you're eating too much.

"Genetics" don't make people gain weight. Food does. And even IF genetics predisposed you to gain weight, it doesn't make it okay to be obese.
mimimomx3 will probably be awarded a Nobel prize for Nutrition. Al Gore got one so why can't she?

GL2

Old 10-31-2011, 05:46 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,242 times
Residents of Austin, Texas may soon have the power to issue parking tickets by taking a few photographs of someone else's car with their smartphones.

The non-profit group Parking Mobility, created by George Soros-funded organizations, created the Android, Blackberry and iPhone parking ticket app which encourages cities to adopt the program because they can "generate revenue." The system requires a person take three photographs of the alleged violator -- one of the license plate, one of the windshield and one showing the car and the handicapped parking sign. The software sends the photos and the GPS location to the city so it can issue the expensive ticket ($511).

Austin, Texas Explores Photo Parking Snitch Tickets

I'm PICTURING (pardon the pun) all those vigilante meter maids targeting drivers by using their Photoshop skills...

Old 10-31-2011, 10:06 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Residents of Austin, Texas may soon have the power to issue parking tickets by taking a few photographs of someone else's car with their smartphones.

The non-profit group Parking Mobility, created by George Soros-funded organizations, created the Android, Blackberry and iPhone parking ticket app which encourages cities to adopt the program because they can "generate revenue." The system requires a person take three photographs of the alleged violator -- one of the license plate, one of the windshield and one showing the car and the handicapped parking sign. The software sends the photos and the GPS location to the city so it can issue the expensive ticket ($511).

Austin, Texas Explores Photo Parking Snitch Tickets

I'm PICTURING (pardon the pun) all those vigilante meter maids targeting drivers by using their Photoshop skills...

From the 8th page of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The place cards are issued to the person with the disability, not to the car the disabled person uses. It's illegal (and immoral) to use a place card not issued directly to you. The fine, if caught, can go as high as $250. It's also illegal to park in a handicapped space without a permit or to park in front of curb cut outs that are used by people in wheelchairs. In many states you can turn people in with just a cell phone picture sent to the police state. I once got a ticket for parking in a handicapped space---forgot to put my tag on the mirror---but I didn't have to pay it after I went to the police station to show my tag. I rarely forget to hang it now.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:11 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,049,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Handicap placards seem to make people go from 0 to overdive outraged in 1 second, and rarely do these self appointed police ever decide to find out more information before going completely ballistic. It's sad that it happens, and taking it away is the wrong answer.

My own personal story is that I had gone to a clinic and put up a handicap placard on my car. As I get out (I have 0 handicap, and I was 25 at the time) a lady comes over and starts screaming her head off at me, I cannot get a word in at her 120 decibel shrieks. The doctor then comes out with my soon to be mother-in-law wondering why I had not come up to get her, and sees this lady doing her thing. She shuts up in 2 seconds flat after he wheels her out (more then 10 years fighting MS, cannot walk, can only spend ~3 hours upright after heavy medications).

My soon to be mother-in-law waves the lady over (red as a beet) and says "This young man who is dating my daughter drove a hundred miles from college to spend the day with me. He's taking me to my doctors, helping me pick up my medication, and we are even going to the mall later to do things I don't normally get to do. He could have spent the weekend doing his homework, or going out with his friends, or having fun...but he chose to spend it helping me. I hope you spend more time getting to know what people are doing before you decide to judge them after this. Otherwise you just might spend more time looking like an ass to people doing exceptional deeds." (it's been a number of years, but I tried to get it close)

There are certainly people who abuse it, which drives me nuts as well, but going on over drive before knowing what is happening is the wrong answer. All it does is make everyone unhappy. That is including yourself. Live and let go.
This is my story, and every time I go back to Colorado it happens at some point when I help my mother in law doing the things she needs to (or used to do). It's usually 75 miles from where I stay in Denver now, with limited times I spend during the holidays (1 week ~1,400 miles from Portland) but I don't complain any time I help her. Time I could be spending with old friends or even my own parents.

I hope people don't god bananas before finding all the information about a situation.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:15 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
What a timely necro.

I look like a perfectly healthy, but fat, 23 year old. I gained 40 pounds during chemo and have put on about 10 more since chemo ended because of steroids, hormone fluctuations, and not having the energy to walk. I also have severe lung damage that can make it difficult for me to walk.

I get TONS of comments for my handicap placard. People telling me that fat people shouldn't get one (as if being fat is the only health issue that one could possibly have). Other people not accepting that my energy level fluctuates during the day so while I might be able to walk easily in the morning, I often have to stop every few steps to catch my breath while leaving. I also am still dealing with peripheral neuropathy so some days my feet are either numb or every step I take is searing pain.

I still have to go to work, run errands, yadda yadda because I am on my own and have no one to do these things for me or to support me. It makes it a huge pain and is incredibly hurtful when people see fit to judge me without knowing what I am going through.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I had one clown ***** at me for using a handicap tag. I told him to go f himself. He looked like he was going to hit me but a serious glare stopped that nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies