Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:57 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,033,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I understand that the Muslim population is growing in Europe, and I understand that has lead to part of the recent extremist actions that have happened as of lately in that region of the world.

But what has caused those extreme actions? Look at the way European countries have treated the growing numbers of Muslims in their countries. Hell, France has tried to outlaw their religious garb.

Thats one thing that the states hasn't had to deal with in the past. We've generally allowed Muslims to function as they would in our country, with little to no government interference. Of course, thats changed over the last month or so, with the 9/11 community center controversy, and the Qur'an burning thing.

The main reason many Muslim extremists have hated us in the past, and the main catalyst behind 9/11, is our support of Israel in almost every aspect. They hate us for that support, otherwise they'd be happy to leave us alone. Now that doesn't mean we shouldn't support Israel, but in recent history the lines between good and bad in that region of the world have been blurred. Instead of Israel taking a defensive role, they have taken much more of an offensive role, which makes our support look even worse.

Another thing. The growing numbers of Muslims in Europe, and even the states can be seen as a good thing. Most Muslims, 95% or so, aren't extreme idiots. They only want to worship their religion peacefully, and to be left alone. Many of their children have become "westernized" and enjoy most of the things that most of us do. That means they are much less likely to do extreme acts.

The more Muslims in the middle east and the rest of the world are exposed to freedom, the more likely they are to act out against the theocracies that dominate the middle east.
The extremist actions are the responsibility of the actors of extremism. The Muslim immigrants in Western Europe, for the large part as illustrated in France, have refused to assimilate into French culture. Political Islam is trying to force its way upon Western European governments rather than becoming part of the countries to which the people have chosen to immigrate. Britain now has declared zones wher it is unsafe for non-Muslims to travel through.

There is one non-Muslim country in the entirety of the Middle East, Israel. Given the number of Arabic/Muslim countries that have openly called for the destruction of Israel and supported Hamas and Hezbollas attempts at "wiping it off the map" why shouldn't they have our support? What threat can Israel possibly be to the entire Muslim population of the Middle East? Seriously? It is nothing but a small boat trying to keep the waves from crashing down upon it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 12:11 PM

24,865 posts, read 24,454,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The extremist actions are the responsibility of the actors of extremism. The Muslim immigrants in Western Europe, for the large part as illustrated in France, have refused to assimilate into French culture. Political Islam is trying to force its way upon Western European governments rather than becoming part of the countries to which the people have chosen to immigrate. Britain now has declared zones wher it is unsafe for non-Muslims to travel through.

There is one non-Muslim country in the entirety of the Middle East, Israel. Given the number of Arabic/Muslim countries that have openly called for the destruction of Israel and supported Hamas and Hezbollas attempts at "wiping it off the map" why shouldn't they have our support? What threat can Israel possibly be to the entire Muslim population of the Middle East? Seriously? It is nothing but a small boat trying to keep the waves from crashing down upon it.
What lead to the KKK after reconstruction? Lincoln wanted to allow the southern states back in, no questions asked. After Booth assassinated Lincoln, the carpet baggers and other Republican officials raped the south, making an already bad problem worse.

So what has happened in Europe?

A few loose bands of extremists did bad things (like Booth), then the government cracked down on an entire ethnic group, making the already bad situation worse.

Who is more responsible? Maybe they should have worked together as Lincoln wanted in the States, instead of bending to the will of a few mad men.

Muslim extremists want governments to crack down on Muslims, thats what they are going for. They don't care how many they have to kill or be killed in the process. We have to be brave enough to understand that there will always be extremists, and that if someone wants to sacrifice themselves to kill others, there is NOTHING you can do to stop that. We have to be brave enough to not sacrifice our liberty and freedoms for temporary safety gains.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:30 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,465,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21012 View Post
I often wonder if future generations will argue about whether America attacked the Middle East after 9/11 simply because we are Christians, which would be false to begin with considering how many different beliefs and non beliefs we have here.

It seems that every Muslim enticed battle where they lose turns out to be an unjustified attack on innocent, peaceful people.

It's amazing to me that many people think that Muslims were all sitting peacefully around their dinner tables, minding their own business when the evil Christians "started" the Crusades.

I just wonder if we will remember that we didn't start this in 100 years, so many have already forgotten.
It was a War on Terror, not a War on Islam. yw.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:39 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,248,201 times
Quote:
I often wonder if future generations will argue about whether America attacked the Middle East after 9/11 simply because we are Christians, which would be false to begin with considering how many different beliefs and non beliefs we have here.

It seems that every Muslim enticed battle where they lose turns out to be an unjustified attack on innocent, peaceful people.

It's amazing to me that many people think that Muslims were all sitting peacefully around their dinner tables, minding their own business when the evil Christians "started" the Crusades.

I just wonder if we will remember that we didn't start this in 100 years, so many have already forgotten.
it will be known as the decade of divided america

Old 09-12-2010, 03:35 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,382,039 times
Default "We can re-write our history." ~ Michelle Obama

I don't know who writes the speeches for Michele and Barack, but they need to study up.

Rewriting history? We learn from history.

A better speech would have included 'We can change our destiny'.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:37 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,518,909 times
This will be the decade where the wars stopped being fought between countries and instead against non-governmental actors.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:53 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,323,736 times
Depends on what follows in those 90 years to come.

It may be the decade when we were faced with the terrible decision to choose between sacrifice or rights for security or affirming who we are. If we go for the sacifice in those intervening years, then it will be rewritten according to those who have become our rulers by their decree. Recreating history so it matches your version is the first thing a dictatorship does, and we take away our rights and protections that is what will come.

Boards like this will have ceased to exist. Has anyone thought about how so many diverse views are expressed here and how without constraints a government would be most interested in who is behind the screen name. Just take some time to think about how you'd feel if you had to *fear* disagreeing with government policy. Would you anyway?

I'd like to say that an awakening among TPTB of the dangers the path we are taking now might happen. Might is about as strong as I'll go. There are too many sheep out there who buy the argument that its for our own good to hope much more than that. Wake up too late and its already over.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:12 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,243,268 times
Quote:

"A race absolutely alien to God has invaded the land of Christians, has reduced the people with sword, rapine and flame. These men have destroyed the altars polluted by their fould practices. They have circumcised the Christians, either spreading the blood from circumcisions on the altars or pouring it into the baptismal fonts. And they cut open the navels of those whom they choose to torment with loathsome death, tear out their most vital organs and tie them to a stake, drag them around and flog them, before killing them as they lie prone on the ground with all their entrails out. What shall I say of the appalling violation of women, of which it is more evil to speak than to keep silent?

On whom, therefore, does the task lie of avenging this, of redeeming this situation, if not on you, upon whom above all nations God has bestowed outstanding glory in arms, magnitude of heart, litheness of body and strength to humble anyone who resists you."

And you?

Do you know this story?

That is the speech given by Pope Urban II.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:37 PM

19 posts, read 17,200 times
The Crusades were almost a thousand years ago. They were a RESULT of Muslims spreading Islam by the sword, not peacefully. Do I think they were brutal, of course. However, Christianity has evolved. Islam is still the same.

In most Christian dominated areas the only thing you have to fear is someone knocking on your door to spread the word of Christ, which you can tell no thanks and they leave. Maybe they say a prayer for you without you knowing, maybe they talk bad about you behind your back, you live through it. (Not to say there are not any wacko Christians, Ireland needs to straighten up for sure).

In an Islamic dominated area you'd better not be suspected of talking to a Muslim about anything other than Islam, if you can even let it be know that you are Christian, Jewish, Hindu, etc.

Islam has to be the most intolerant religion around TODAY, yet the one that is the most demanding of tolerance. Insanely, even after 9/11, there are many more people in America still condemning Israel and Jewish people than Muslims, yet you rarely hear the Jewish people cry foul.

Muslims are not the "victims" in any of today's battles, they just keep starting crap with the wrong people and getting their butts kicked.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:51 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,574,628 times
Quote:

I think many more things of importance happened this decade than just 9/11. Not to diminish the importance of 9/11 (to be PC here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies