Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 07:17 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,409,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Well I am a geographer by training- and I understand what you mean between eastern, central and western KY- its a big state compared to CT- but even here there are big differences from one part of the state to another.

My buddy is about an hour east of Lexington.

Very pleasant man he is from the KY state - LOL
In any case as a gay man he feels so isolated and says the environment is very intolerant and oppressive. Louisville is about the only place he feels 'safe'.

Here in Connecticut I feel no such intolerance or bigotry. Why is that?
I have a problem with red states and most conservatives about discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Are the New England states that far ahead of states like KY on social issues-? or?
There are deep social and political chasms within the country-

we have the ability to talk here- not bash and insult and get to the bottom of why there are such vast differences in the country on many social issues.

I would have to say item "B" - deep social and political chasms within the country... here in KY you have deep rooted religious beliefs and moral standards that are not as "open minded" as some may like. The bible says don't do it, then by God you don't ... (Note: I'm not a bible thumper.) It's not effort to be oppressive, I really don't think it's it conscious, I think (therefore I am) just the deep rooted belief that it's wrong in some of their eyes. It gives them, really for lack of a better word an 'icky' feeling. It doesn't bode well in there mind as it doesn't fit with there beliefs.
Keep in mind we have many dry counties that do not sell alcohol even though we are the largest producer of bourbon whiskey in the US. This is do to religion, I think it's silly and somewhat old fashion, but thats the way it is. And many others that do sell alcohol, but they do not sell on Sunday. (Few exceptions to that rule) Rural Kentucky is very traditionalist, boys goes with girls, girls goes with boys, you don't drink and go to church on Sunday. So does that make rural Kentucky and the greater south seem a little backwards in the eyes of many? Perhaps, do it mean they are, no it doesn't.
I know a few gays around here, so far none of them have been stung up or run out on a rail. Truthfully if I think about it, anyone can take issue with anyplace and develop an heighten sense of persecution if they look for it, I feel sure that if I came to New England with my country draw and mannerisms I could easily find examples of people seemingly looking down upon me because they equate a southern accent and manners with slow and some what of a simpleton, a dimwit if you will. So your friend make have a heightened sense, an overly keen awareness and therefore see things that are there, but not really there ... make sense?
Is New England far ahead in social issues, no I don't think so. I think that they are just different in priorities. Doesn't make one better than the other, only uniquely it's own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 08:14 PM

9,873 posts, read 10,778,770 times
no offense davart and skytrekker but your slightly off topic

Old 06-30-2007, 08:55 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,206,066 times
Aren't we allowed to generate wealth in the U.S.....

Old 06-30-2007, 09:04 PM

345 posts, read 202,295 times
Pretty good post Davart. You represent us pretty well. Fact of the matter is I was probably 20 yrs old before I ever heard the word gay, which was over 30 years ago. In those days it was just sissy. I think in those days nobody could realy come to grips with the notion of what gay meant.First time I heard the term I thought ,"what's wrong with that", didn't take me long to understand that what I really was-was happy.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:06 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,490,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
His wealth will keep growing as he milks the man made global warming fad to last drop.
Speaking of getting back on topic, it is obvious that Sprinter never read the article that started this thread. Gore made his money in several impressive and innovative business deals, including Google, a TV network and a venture capital firm, that had nothing to do with global warming or milk.

Sprinter's lie is the sort of reason we have been deprived of Gore as President.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
no offense davart and skytrekker but your slightly off topic
You are correct sir ... I stall resort to my immaturity and just say ... "He started it ..."

Old 06-30-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINTUCK View Post
Pretty good post Davart. You represent us pretty well. Fact of the matter is I was probably 20 yrs old before I ever heard the word gay, which was over 30 years ago. In those days it was just sissy. I think in those days nobody could realy come to grips with the notion of what gay meant.First time I heard the term I thought ,"what's wrong with that", didn't take me long to understand that what I really was-was happy.
Thanks ... didn't want to pigeon hole the entire state, but I've been in and out of KY for 40+ years and lived all over the state. The far western end is the stomping grounds and that's where I'm at again. But I figured that about summed it up with ruffling to many feathers either here or away.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:19 PM

345 posts, read 202,295 times
Sorry Silas, just saying hello to the first poster I recognize as being from Western Ky.
AlGore never got away with inventing the internet so he reinvented himself with global warming. In less than 20 years AlGore will be a discredited old man and this shallow period will be looked upon as a social macrocosm of the Salem Witch Trials. Don't throw away your winter coats just yet.
I happen to believe strongly in the entrepreneurial spirit of a free society. I believe if we can manage to remain free we will figure out a way to make the combustible engine obsolete. I believe that will hapeen within the next twenty years. I think I'll save my money on those carbon credits and hang around for the hydrogen engine or something of that sort. It is all within the framework of exponential growth of technology. Everybody needs to chill.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:22 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,124,753 times
Two quick items for this discussion.

I favor letting gays have many of the rights and obligations other folks have in a legal sense, without using the term or ceremony of marriage. I think this would be the starting point of some kind of mutual truce between the two sides.

Second, boy, did you lose control of your thread, Silas!!! Was Al Gore's financial enhancement linked to the gay rights issue???

Old 06-30-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post

Sprinter's lie is the sort of reason we have been deprived of Gore as President.
Deprived? I think "blessed" is the word.

Seriously, Gore was the VP for 8 years ... what did he do? Why didn't he storm and stomp around about the planet then with as much vigor as he does now? Why didn't he champion the "cause" while he was in a position to actually do something?

Answer: No one to blame when the Democrats are in the Whitehouse, you must have the Republican boogeyman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies