Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 05:58 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yet at some point the computer you are typing on, and/or its components, came to you via a truck that traveled on an interstate didn't it?
I'd assume so--but it isn't something I need, I'd be just as happy if I didn't have it.

If the government didn't "pay" for these things, you do know that someone would, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 06:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'd assume so--but it isn't something I need, I'd be just as happy if I didn't have it.

If the government didn't "pay" for these things, you do know that someone would, right?
What about support for national defense ?

Old 09-12-2010, 06:02 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Zero. The government provides no goods or services that I find useful or need, so I don't see a reason to pay for things I have no use for.
This always cracks me up. You don't use interstate highways? You don't benefit from your freedom, which is maintained by our military? A country as huge and complex as the US, with 300 million citizens, absolutely requires a well-funded federal government. I'm not sure what I'd pay as a flat tax, let's say 20% for all taxes; local, state and federal. That seems about right to me - we are probably wasting a third of what we pay in taxes today, due to inefficiency.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:

The government is the people and the people who "pay" for these things, are the minority population known as taxpayers (49% of Americans only). You understand that, right?

Old 09-12-2010, 06:06 PM

The military doesn't do much of a job of defending us--or perhaps you've forgotten about 9/11.

They don't guarantee my freedom, and when I served, I didn't guarantee yours. The military is our government's enforcement arm of foreign policy, nothing more.

I didn't say I would have a PROBLEM with paying a flat tax, and think that it's a better idea, but I have no use for the government.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The government is the people and the people who "pay" for these things, are the minority population known as taxpayers (49% of Americans only). You understand that, right?

The government is made up of the elite, the people with the money, and thus the power, to affect the rest of us.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:09 PM

19,023 posts, read 14,198,297 times
If one has a right to life, and the right to own their labor, and the fruits thereof, and has not surrendered those rights, they are not subject to tax.

However, the vast majority have "volunteered" via FICA, to surrender those rights, in exchange for entitlements, and now must pay a tax to live, work, travel, buy and sell.

Frankly, if government was restricted to securing inalienable rights and the majority of Americans withdrew consent, the Federal government would wither - partly because they would be unable to kite checks (no collateral) and partly because there would be few subject to their authority.

The day that 51% withdraw consent, is the day that there will be rash of one way tickets to countries that do not extradite to the USA.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:13 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,853 times
With the national debt outta control, I wouldn't mind 90% across the board until it is paid off. Then 50% across the board like Switzerland... and have our government and services modeled after theirs.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:18 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
With the national debt outta control, I wouldn't mind 90% across the board until it is paid off. Then 50% across the board like Switzerland... and have our government and services modeled after theirs.
Feel free to send it in.

Remember, this is a thread about taxes being voluntary.

Now that you feel that 90% is OK, send it in.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
The military doesn't do much of a job of defending us--or perhaps you've forgotten about 9/11.

They don't guarantee my freedom, and when I served, I didn't guarantee yours. The military is our government's enforcement arm of foreign policy, nothing more.

I didn't say I would have a PROBLEM with paying a flat tax, and think that it's a better idea, but I have no use for the government.
1. Thank you for your service.

As far as I know when you served to took an oath to protect and defend the Constitution, so, at least in my opinion, the job you did when you served was a bit more than "foreign policy" enforcement.

Freedom is never guaranteed and it is never more than one generation from extinction. And no, I have not forgotten 9/11, never will. I don't know with any cetainty where the screw-ups occurred that allowed that to happen but it was largely within government entities and bureaucracies and not just the military (Pentegon, and a number of alphabet agencies) per say.

We should have been more safe than we were that day but had the system been a complete failure we would have seen many, many more hits on this soil than we did since the first attempt at the WTC in 1993, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies