Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:13 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Forgive my sloppy editing. There are not any circumstances under which I would consider burning any book.

On edit If as a matter of survival I only had a Bible or a copy of the Qu'ran, I would burn either in a heart beat.
oh okay. i think that's pretty reasonable, especially if you're not doing it as a way to express hatred for the followers of the associated religion. there's a big difference between burning a book as an act of symbolism and burning a book cause you have no other choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 08:15 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,190,023 times
Nope.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
oh okay. i think that's pretty reasonable, especially if you're not doing it as a way to express hatred for the followers of the associated religion. there's a big difference between burning a book as an act of symbolism and burning a book cause you have no other choice.
I'm not big on pyrrhic symbolism, pun intended.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:22 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
No, It is wrong to burn books. Only the uneducated and narrow minded do such things. I'd rather read them, myself.

In fact, this whole Koran controversy makes me want to go out and buy one to see what all the fuss is about.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:24 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
I wouldn't because for me to legally burn the quran, I'd have to buy one in the store. Why waste my money buying something only to destroy it?

Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Why are people so sensitive to this, when shows like South Park have had the worst blashpmy one can imagine, and we have artist doing works like this:

Because I'm an atheist, I've always felt people shouldn't pretend to respect ideologies like these, since I don't think they are worthy of respect. I don't want to give them legitimacy.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:29 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
I am no defender of Islam but I feel this quote is relevent:

"when books are burned, in the end people will be burned too." Heinreich Heine
Great quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Forgive my sloppy editing. There are not any circumstances under which I would consider burning any book.

On edit If as a matter of survival I only had a Bible or a copy of the Qu'ran, I would burn either in a heart beat.
Believe it or not, I knew what you meant. Creepy(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
No, It is wrong to burn books. Only the uneducated and narrow minded do such things. I'd rather read them, myself.

In fact, this whole Koran controversy makes me want to go out and buy one to see what all the fuss is about.
You too, huh.

If I was out of rolling paper I might steal a page.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 PM

449 posts, read 877,211 times
Exclamation Never, never, never..........

In every race, nationality, and culture, there are good people and evil people, and with this in mind, I will not burn any religious book just to get even with one particular group. Not all Muslims are terrorists, so why punish the good for the evil?

This Gainsville, Florida Pastor was just seeking his 15 minutes of fame, and unfortunately, he got the attention of the media, the White House, etc. Nevertheless, he had the right to do it, under the Freedom of Religion Act, but it would have provoked the evil guys even more...........and divide us against the good Muslim people of the world.

It would have further place our troops in jeopardy, as well as many American citizens across the world, and here at home. I am glad that someone spoke some sense into this Pastor's mind, and he has decided not to do it, and I hope this incident does not creat copycats.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
No, I wouldn't burn a book, a flag or any other symbol.

Seems most evil people wave that holy book (take your pick) thinking they are revenging something in the name of someone who would never condone what they are doing.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:36 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Nope. I, for one, don't care about religion, therefore, have no interest in what people do with or about it, so long as it doesn't interfere with my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies