Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-14-2010, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Reputation: 35920

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
You fail to understand everything. I am simply pointing out that a $250K salary is very relative to geography and household situations. As you apparently did not realize this simple, basic fact, your desire to stereotype is flawed. Now you know it and can proceed with your rant, I mean analysis, on a more accurate basis. The words you are looking for are "Thank you."
The above about geography has been discussed earlier in the thread. Perhaps you should read through it in its entirety. Someone gave an example of what kind of a house one could buy in suburban DC with that income. It's not in a tenement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 AM
 
13,656 posts, read 20,791,239 times
Reputation: 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The above about geography has been discussed earlier in the thread. Perhaps you should read through it in its entirety. Someone gave an example of what kind of a house one could buy in suburban DC with that income. It's not in a tenement.
Just in a bad school district or a dodgy area.And yes, I live in the DC burbs.

I cannot always read entire threads (who does) as I am at work making my $250K.

Its great to be filthy rich!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 AM
 
Location: 'Murica
1,302 posts, read 2,950,401 times
Reputation: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please, a person who make 50k pays nearly zero in frederal income tax

I make 60,000, and paid zero in federal income tax...in fact the feds paid me
if you're single and don't own a home, you'll definitely have a federal tax liability on 60k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 09:43 AM
 
Location: in my imagination
13,608 posts, read 21,405,022 times
Reputation: 10112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
The point is the government and media and economic heads have managed to lump the $250K earners into the same bracket as "middle class". It is not middle class to earn that much. It's not even considered upper middle class technically. A household income of $65k+ is considered upper middle class.

I do understand that 250k or 300k a year is on the upper end of wage earners. But who makes that? People like general managers of a auto dealership, doctors. lawyers and fields like that. Those careers are ones that people work hard at, study for a lot, I don't think they can be considered "elite". They hardly are filthy rich to the point of being able to buy the law and politicians. They are working people as much as a accountant making 40k a year is but with a harder position.

Bill Gates is a billionaire, how he got it he deserves it, by creating a revolutionary product. Unless he is using his money to buy the law and politicians to create more wealth for him. Unless he is getting richer by creating hardship on others. I have not much good feelings for a billion dollar industry like health industry that gets richer not by competition with other businesses, but by increasing premiums on a family making 50k a year. That is a case of the ultra rich getting richer by possibly destroying a everyday American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Reputation: 35920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Just in a bad school district or a dodgy area.And yes, I live in the DC burbs.
See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
250k will place you in a upper class neighborhood

The wealthiest suburb of Chicago(and pretty much the midwest) is Kenilworth. Median income in 2008 was $238,000, median home prices at 1.8 million, and per capita income $127,672. Now whether you are saving or spending a good chunk of your income on bs also determines your wealth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Good point. So, what will that kind of money buy you in Clarksville, MD, which was previously held up as an example of an extremely expensive community? Here's an example of a house in that range. It's 7 beds/5 baths in 6000 sq. ft. on nearly four acres in a very high-performing school district. Now, who here thinks that's a middle class house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Long Island
32,816 posts, read 19,503,810 times
Reputation: 9619
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
The point is the government and media and economic heads have managed to lump the $250K earners into the same bracket as "middle class". It is not middle class to earn that much. It's not even considered upper middle class technically. A household income of $65k+ is considered upper middle class.

but the FACT is that a household could have 2 earners...both of a WORKINGCLASS status, and the HOUSEHOLD income be 200k or more

just because a cop in mississippi doesnt make 125k, doesnt mean that a cop on long island isnt ALLOWED to make it

YOU CAN NOT in any resembulance of sincerity call a 2 income household of a cop and a teacher (both workingclass professions) and call them RICH, just because they live in a good area that pays a decent salary of 125k each for a total household salary of 250k

sorry, but 250k is not rich.....over 1 mill is... but not 250k


heck a class a mechanic at a dealership is making 32 an hour...that's 80k just for a workingclas stiff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 09:46 AM
 
13,656 posts, read 20,791,239 times
Reputation: 7653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
See below:
Clarksville is a sea of blandness.

However, in a way, you have proved my point. Its all relative. Compare Clarksville to Chevy Chase Village. Then you will understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Reputation: 35920
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but the FACT is that a household could have 2 earners...both of a WORKINGCLASS status, and the HOUSEHOLD income be 200k or more

just because a cop in mississippi doesnt make 125k, doesnt mean that a cop on long island isnt ALLOWED to make it

YOU CAN NOT in any resembulance of sincerity call a 2 income household of a cop and a teacher (both workingclass professions) and call them RICH, just because they live in a good area that pays a decent salary of 125k each for a total household salary of 250k

sorry, but 250k is not rich.....over 1 mill is... but not 250k
That may be your defintion of rich, but the fact is that 98.5% of Americans earn less than $250K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 AM
 
646 posts, read 394,317 times
Reputation: 129
I thought liberals liked minorities? why some much hatred for 1.5%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That may be your defintion of rich, but the fact is that 98.5% of Americans earn less than $250K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 AM
 
13,656 posts, read 20,791,239 times
Reputation: 7653
This reminds me of a book about the States written by an English journalist who lived here for a time.

He talked about New York City and all the Wall Street bankers who would boast about their spacious apartments in Manhattan (i.e. very costly and very cramped 1 or 2 bedroom flats).

The thing is, he noted, sanitation workers in Dayton, OH have more space at a fraction of the cost.

Its all relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top