Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:54 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Okay, I'll work with you.

LIRR + subway is still under $500 then right?
30 year fixed on a $600k house at 5% is $3220/month.
Property taxes $1k/month.

Big mac is a silly example there are plenty of cheap eating options in NYC you know that, it's about the only cheap thing there is.

So far we're still at about $5k for the house and public transportation. You telling me the other $8k you'd be taking home couldn't cover the rest comfortably?
Again, the use of subjective "comfort" as a measurement of defining who is "wealthy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 11:56 AM

15,061 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
do you even know what you are talking about

a month ticket on the LIRR (long island railraoad) is over 390 a month(for monday thru friday)plus the subway/bus, plus parking at the train station if all the free spots are taken

a big mac in manhatten is $10

on long island the average STARTER house (1200sf) on a postage stamp lot (50x100) is over 400k, with property taxes averaging about 12k a year (1g a month)......not to mention home owners insurance in a flood area......
In Austin Texas, 250K would afford you a very comfortable lifestyle, because just outside town, you could have a 30 acre small ranch with a few Horsies in the back yard for around 500K (and an AG exemption) ... but in Middleberg VA, if you want to have the same thing ... it would cost you 10 or more times that, and I dare say in NY it would be even greater.

So it is hard for some to understand how $250,000 is not rich ... they cannot comprehend how a 2500 sq ft home on a 1/4 acre lot can cost 2.5 Million, and the property tax alone exceeds the median national family income.

The secret here is that WE are being trained to accept that only wealthy people deserve to drive, and have a back yard for their kids to play in. They don't understand that income levels are set to the various regions for which such incomes are available to someone who actually has to go to work every day.

Nope ... for the average middle class American ... it's the metro bus for you you spoiled brat ... hey, you can live without the internet ... you don't need to drive that big SUV ... stuff your kids into that toyota corolla and quit yer belly aching.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:58 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
So using basic mortgage requirements. 3X salary. $250K a year are barely afford to buy into a single family neighborhood.
Basic mortgage requirements would be no more than 28% of gross income. At least it was last time I was looking at houses, I could be different now.

At 28% of gross a $250k/year salary can support a mortgage payment of $5800/month.

An $800,000 house at today's mortgage rates is about $4300/month, which should be easily digestable on that kind of salary.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
So all liberals must be poor huh? Your paradigm diatribes are all too common in America these days. Everything is a left right center issue with people like you. Hey genius I'm a libertarian and I voted for Ron Paul. That doesn't mean I don't believe in economic justice and equality. A free and open market one in which true capitalism flourishes would provide that. An economy based on sound money and sound investments not a few filthy rich speculating the rest of us into poverty so that our taxes can bail them out. America isn't a capitalistic country otherwise AIG, GM and a host of other multinational corporations would have gone flat broke and bankrupt. If America was a capitalist country we wouldn't have a government that privatizes profits and socializes losses the way they do. I'm hardly envious and FAR FROM greedy. And my point regarding the rich was in response to others who would argue just the opposite.....that all middle class people are undereducated spendthrifts who don't work hard and want a piece of everyone else's pie.
You're the kind of Ron Paul supporter that gives Ron Paul a bad name...and there ain't no way in **** you're a libertarian. I hereby order you to stop saying you support him.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Depends on how you look at "median income" and what part of the county you are living in.

The median household, emphasis being on household median income in the Washington DC/Baltimore region in the surround 5-6 counties are close to or over $100K a year.

$101,867 Howard County, MD
Howard County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
along with some parts of NJ, NY, some parts of California.

So $100K a year for a family is really just middle class in those areas. $250k, while well off is not "rich" by any standard there. Remember housing costs in most of these areas. Even with the housing crash, it's still going to take around $500K just to buy a townhome in these areas and around $750K and up to buy into a single family neighborhood with good school districts. So using basic mortgage requirements. 3X salary. $250K a year are barely afford to buy into a single family neighborhood.
I call bull****. I lived in Howard County, MD not so long ago at the peak of the market, no less, and housing prices have come down since then. You most certainly can purchase a SFH in a good neighborhood with excellent schools for less than $750k. That kind of money will buy you a Toll Brothers McMansion on an acre in Howard County.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Even after it was explained to you, you still don't get it...! We're not just talking about people who have a salary of $250k, were talking all small business' who make that amount, then pay all of their expenses out of that amount.
Those small business' you want to tax are the ones who create jobs, and you want to tax them to make sure they DON"T create any more jobs... Get a clue...!
What the hell are you talking about, I don't want to tax anyone and never said I did. I'm discussing whether an income $250k would be considered wealthy.

Please take your rant elsewhere, maybe find someone who's mentioned taxes.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:04 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Oh, don't forget the AMT (Alt. Min. Tax) that many of the "rich" $250k people have to pay. You know that nasty "flat" tax the Democrats made in 1969 to hit the middle class. AMT disallows a lot of important deductions like property taxes, state income taxes, personal exemptions. You can't even pay the 15% long term capital gains rate. You pay 20% long term capital gains rate. The AMT is one of the biggest "stealth" taxes for people making between $250-500K. You are almost 95% guaranteed to pay the AMT if you live in the one of the high state income taxes states such as Maryland, NJ, NY, California.

Only when you start making over 1 million do you start escaping the AMT.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I call bull****. I lived in Howard County, MD not so long ago at the peak of the market, no less, and housing prices have come down since then. You most certainly can purchase a SFH in a good neighborhood with excellent schools for less than $750k. That kind of money will buy you a Toll Brothers McMansion on an acre in Howard County.
It's nice to live in the fly-over zone where that kind of money will buy a couple hundred acres with home and outbuildings.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You are looking at all of these people as if they are an employee, and their take home pay is $250k.

Someone who owns a small business and files as a Sub Chapter S will put all their business income on their tax returns. It may look like a lot of money, but once they pay employees, and expenses, they may actually be living off $70k a year.
Expenses are taken into account on business returns. Your revenue minus expenses is your income.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Again, the use of subjective "comfort" as a measurement of defining who is "wealthy".
Yes, that is what I'm trying to determine out of simple curiosity. Where would all that money go to make it "barely" I'm dying to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies