Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:27 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times

Advertisements

it is a very sobering feeling seeing so many people in trouble right now. every day that i want to quit my job i realize there are 100 people who would take it in a second.

i dont see how we fix it though. no money for small biz start ups, banks wont loan. manufacturing all but gone, and it/tech is in india and china.

first it was general manufacturing, low skill employees, now it has reached into the high skilled areas like it/tech.

one can only assume things will continue to deteriorate.

the honest truth is the conditions are not favorable for running a business in the united states anymore.

and i dont know how you change that at this point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 11:31 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
1. Make it more attractive for businesses to keep their manufacuring and customer service jobs in the USA rather than outside.

2. Do not allow corporations based in the USA to manufacture goods overseas for re-importation back into the USA for sale here. This would to an extend force the manufacturing of certain goods here in the USA, though, the brunt cost of more expensive labor and stricter manufacturing and safety standards would be passed back to the consumer. There is a price to keeping Americans employed in a shrinking world economy.

3. The American consumer must demand significantly more products be produced in America by voting with their wallets. Consumers drive the labor force. Buy cheap stuff made overseas and the jobs will continue to be shipped there.

Picture Wal-marts nationwide and their parking lots filled with people protesting they want at least 65% of all goods sold at Wal-Mart made in the USA. Think of the power of that kind of news coverage on a single day nationwide. Think of this on "black friday" and consumers refusing to purchase from stores mainly stocked with goods made in China. It's a nice fantasy but basically Americans are lazy and it will never happen. It is the same type of apathy that led to the decline of Woolworths and the basic "Mom & Pop" stores in favor for the larger corporate "box stores".

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 09-13-2010 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-13-2010, 11:32 AM

646 posts, read 393,704 times
just put a huge tax on any good imported from china, india, ect. we need manufacturing back in this country. jobs go overseas because labor is cheap, but if we taxed the crap out of imported goods, then it would not longer be profitable to have foreign labor. as americans, we should try as often as we can to buy american. I've done that, but it's actually really difficult to find stuff made in the USA. lift corporate taxes. there are billions of dollars sitting in overseas bank accounts because people are afraid of the what the federal government wants to do with them. if they lifted those taxes, they would invest here. it makes no sense not to lift the taxes. it's not like it's doing the feds any good being overseas, and it certainly isn't doing the american worker any good.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:37 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Some thoughts...

1. When making any purchase, stop and consider if in picking that item, you are benefiting the best interests of the US. When possible, buy items that are US made, even if they are more expensive.

2. During this economic recession, perhaps we should stop letting people from other countries immigrate here legally. Perhaps we should make sure that when issuing work visas, it should only be when an unemployed American can't do that job.

3. And those that are unemployed need to start looking for another career path if they can't find another job in their original field of work.

4. And we do need to downsize the population of the world. There just aren't enough good jobs to go around when there are nearly 7 billion people on this planet.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:37 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The first thing is to reconise that its takes investemnt by people that have confidence in making a profit. This administrtion see private sector has the enemy. Tyhey constantly inflame the mob mentality. The result is from main strreet to wall street people are eliminating debt and saving ;not putting their moeny to work in investing.If you weant a jon them there has to be a custmoer for what yopu produce and a company that capitalises your work. Not everyone can be a self empoyed capitalist.This administrtion has produce the worse leagcy cost fot he future of any. It has put the nation in debt 1.2 trillio dollars in 11 months. Its has spent 800 billion on a so called stimulus that was supposed to be a masive infrastructure bill creating jobs ot do it;it spent &% on infrasdtruture and the rest so far spent to its special interest. Most se by not that government does not prodcue any privte sector jobs. They in fact actaullu are the l;argest wasters of anyhtig they do and just take jobs out of the porivte sector as they consume wealth of the nation. They can;t weven work within a budget and creat massive debt that will sap the economy for years to come.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:17 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
it is a very sobering feeling seeing so many people in trouble right now. every day that i want to quit my job i realize there are 100 people who would take it in a second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

i dont see how we fix it though. no money for small biz start ups, banks wont loan. manufacturing all but gone, and it/tech is in india and china.

first it was general manufacturing, low skill employees, now it has reached into the high skilled areas like it/tech.

one can only assume things will continue to deteriorate.

the honest truth is the conditions are not favorable for running a business in the united states anymore.

and i dont know how you change that at this point
The "fix" is really simple and quick.

1. Print a whole bunch of money $1.2T or so and give everyone a monthly check of $1k until the economy heats up.
2. Use the banks to soak up the excess money by having them raise their reserves that are held in the Federal Reserve Bank.
3. At the same time as you are giving out money up the minimum wage a lot, raising it in steps to $20 per hr or so. This will create the expectation of higher prices that will get people to spend money now.
4. Put a tax on the payment of interest on debt. This will raise the privet interest rate while keeping the public interest rates low. This will tend to pop the debt bubble that we have going now.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:22 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,337 times
Redistribution of wealth via the government or a free market. Yes it's that siimple. If we redistribute wealth through a free market then we need to dismantle most of the government, the federal reserve, and quit bailing out corporations. But I don't see any of that happening so I say take from the filthy rich what you would through a free market through taxes. I.e. tax anyone making over $10 million dollars a year at 90%. LMAO! Otherwise get rid of all the other taxes and institute a flat tax and VAT tax.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The first thing is to reconise that its takes investemnt by people that have confidence in making a profit. This administrtion see private sector has the enemy. Tyhey constantly inflame the mob mentality. The result is from main strreet to wall street people are eliminating debt and saving ;not putting their moeny to work in investing.If you weant a jon them there has to be a custmoer for what yopu produce and a company that capitalises your work. Not everyone can be a self empoyed capitalist.This administrtion has produce the worse leagcy cost fot he future of any. It has put the nation in debt 1.2 trillio dollars in 11 months. Its has spent 800 billion on a so called stimulus that was supposed to be a masive infrastructure bill creating jobs ot do it;it spent &% on infrasdtruture and the rest so far spent to its special interest. Most se by not that government does not prodcue any privte sector jobs. They in fact actaullu are the l;argest wasters of anyhtig they do and just take jobs out of the porivte sector as they consume wealth of the nation. They can;t weven work within a budget and creat massive debt that will sap the economy for years to come.
How can you or any other rational intelligent American think that the US government sees the private sector as the enemy? Are you effing kidding me? Do you have no clue what goes on? The entire US government pretty much exists right now to prop up private companies. I.e. C O R PORATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They might be crapping on small businesses but to say the private sector is the enemy is blind and ridiculous to what's been going on for 40+ years in the US economy. Last I knew AIG, GM, etc were all representative of the "private" economy. The problem with the US economy is you have a government that is fascist. It exists to support the oil companies, the banks, the financial and insurance companies. It's hardly an administration that has the "private sector" as its enemy. But keep drinking the kool aid because they want you to think that. There is a reason why there are 200 times more special interest lobbyists working for big corporations in DC. The private sector is doing extremely well at the level of multinational corporations.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:36 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
Is the purpose of working to make money? I think we need to rethink that one. Our work should be what we enjoy and what sustains us. It used to be people didn't work, they lived. In hindsight, we think those days were hard rather than good. Over the course of decades, we became workers for others rather than living independently. And now we find so many without a means to make money. Well, what if money isn't real? What if it's just a means of control, of instilling fear, of making slaves out of people who didn't realize there was a choice in the matter?

Forget the economy. It's done. It's run its course. Time to cooperate with each other, work with each other rather than against each other. Time to reignite the creativity that gave this country its place in the world. Yes, it's a scary proposition because practically everything we think of needs to be reexamined in a different light. It's the future. And it's waiting to be created with intention rather than with imposed sacrifice and meaninglessness. I don't have the specific answer, but if you get this idea, then let it rattle around your mind for a while and sit back and wait for the energy of purpose to awaken.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:37 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
[] re-establish equitable trade
[] eliminate all government imposed taxes and regulations upon the right to contract and trade one's labor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies