Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 12:57 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Shelle has obviously been indulging in fast food lately herself. I know her platform is waging war on obesity but does this include a personal war or has she given up?
She doesn't appear to have three chins, cankles, and upper arm wings.... All this pic really shows is that she carries a good portion of her weight in her abdomen/hip/butt area - a problem area for a lot of women. I'm not saying she's got the figure of Jessica Alba, but she's not exactly Gabourey Sidibe either..

As far as the topic on salt is concerned. I think it'd be nice for restaurants and food places to have an in-store nutrition guide for people who'd like to eat out... but not find out later that their meal had 4000 calories and 6-days worth of salt in it. I don't agree with outright banning of unhealthy foods, just disclosure for those who want to see the nutrition guides. Being told to "go to the website" or "eat a salad" - it doesn't fix the problem of disclosure at purchase. If I buy pre-made food at the grocery store, the nutrition guide is right there. Why can't restaurants do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 12:58 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
She acts like one of those women who goes on a diet and forces her husband to go on diet with her, which is kind of abusive in my opinion.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:59 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
But just like these busy-bodies "asked" restaurants and bar to have non-smoking sections, they eventually passed a law and took away the choices for people to smoke, or not smoke.
LOL! Can you imagine restaurants having these sections?

Government Mandated Eating Area.

Free from Government Mandated Restrictions Eating Area.

Quote:
Just like her husband, Michelle is focusing on mundane topics and doing nothing to address the economy, jobs and our failing schools.
True, true.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:01 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
LOL! Can you imagine restaurants having these sections?

Government Mandated Eating Area.

Free from Government Mandated Restrictions Eating Area.

True, true.
Too funny! Or, all you far-left wingbats who follow obama and shelle line up over here for your government portions. . . or gov't issued rations!
hey, i've got it, they can initiate the old "MREs" Meals Ready to Eat without salt!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:07 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
I'm confused with the thread. What are you all taking from the article/speech that was so wrong? What did it say that was being proposed that you don't agree with? Since when did we not do things to make sure people in the country were eating better? It's been that way since forever, since we started employing people to come up with eating guidelines on a federal level. So, what is the difference here? Plus, that's what First Ladies do, they try to promote the betterment of social elements, such as diet, exercise and eating. So, how is this any different?

I'm not a Democrat or a fan of the Administration's politics and even I have a lack of understanding of why people in the thread have issues with her initiative. We are fat as a country and we have hyper-tension issues, so, something isn't working too well. Considering that people will be less healthy (using more health care and spending more money) if we don't watch our sodium intake, you'd think this would be welcomed.

And of course, we KNOW that a lot of people who are commenting on this speech and saying negative things didn't actually read the WHOLE speech.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:12 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
What does "her rich *****, jet-setting, life of glitz, glamor and taxpayer funded, five star
European shopping sprees" have to do with salt?

She is a liberal. the only reason she needs to keeping you and I from eating what we want is that she has decided it isnt good for us.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:13 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
she needs to stick it
I am a grown woman and I do not need to ask mommie dearest what I can eat!
maybe she needs to get a grip on her own husband and his junk food rather than watching us

Old 09-15-2010, 01:17 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
I can't speak for everyone here but I find her trying to meddle in private business upsetting.

She says: One idea Mrs. Obama had is to serve apple slices as the default side dish with, say, hamburgers, instead of French fries, which she confessed to liking..

What is she doing sticking her nose in and trying to legislate what private companies want to sell on their menu??
I for one like my McDonald's small fries, small hamburger (extra pickle please) and diet soda. And I thank you very much am not the slightest bit overweight. I feel free to indulge my very unPC habit of a fast food run everyonce in while. I use portion control and discipline to control my own body weight and I don't need a government intervention.

And I also find it very ironic that Ms. Obama obviously has serious issues with her own weight and her husband is still smoking cancer sticks.

I will give them one thing, they have quite a bit of nerve.

People should be free to make choices, good or bad. We all know that an apple slice is better for us than a french frie and we can go to the orchard or grocery store if we want one!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
she needs to stick it
I am a grown woman and I do not need to ask mommie dearest what I can eat!
maybe she needs to get a grip on her own husband and his junk food rather than watching us
Why does it have to be about YOU? Wouldn't promoting healthy choices be good for others who DON'T have a problem with it and the children of the country who's parents aren't encouraging healthy choices? Also, you comment on Barack Obama's "junk food," but, seriously, do you really think he eats a ton of junk food? I noticed something about that news link, they posted pictures of the President eating high-sugar, high-fat and high-salt choices, but most of those photos are from when he is out-and-about or on vacation or making an appearance in a town. It is common to try the local food and the best things while doing those things. Yet, I imagine in Washington or at home in Chicago, he has a light, fresh and healthy diet. He is also pretty fit, jogging and playing basketball regularly. So ... do we really need to act like the President has a diet issue? Even with his cigarette issue he doesn't seem to smoke them very much, probably only when stressed.

Some of you all are acting like this is the first time restaurants (private companies) have had to adjust their menu because of a national initiative that has been proposed by groups or associations. Not to mention there are laws that govern what they can offer. So, to the people talking about, "How can she put her nose in our business," since when did an outside source NOT put their nose in what we have available to us in restaurants.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
So there isn't purposed legislation on sugar content, salt, etc....

What about the "trans fat" movement, you know the bans on it?

You go on about how nobody is here to tell anyone anything and it is such a complete lie it is insulting.

Of course you are telling people what to do. You have your demands, and you will legislate till you get them enforced.

In the mean time, you will run around talking about how "compassionate" you are and "caring" about peoples health, but the fact is all you are is a busy body butting into everyone's business.

Look, I like some of these "fatty foods", I enjoy the taste of a greasy meal every once in a while. I run over 5-8 miles a day and am in good shape.

Do you as well? Maybe I should start a campaign to mandate forced exercise on people? If you can't run 5-8 miles a day, you get a tax increase. Oh, its all because I care though!

Seriously, you aren't fooling anyone. We know what you are doing even if you lack the foresight to see it. We know where this will end up and many of us are smacking our heads at how idiotic people can be in their lust to demand everyone conform to their individual demands.

You're transparent, we see right through you.
Running 5-8 miles a day would be an unrealistic demand for the average person. It is nuts to think that that would ever be realistic or logical. Running 5-8 miles a day is pretty damn good and pretty damn hard as a DAILY requirement. Also, for the first bolded comment you made: our society is made up of entities that unfortunately have an effect on our lives, it's just a reality and something that exists. We fight it when it is really violating our human rights, but is this really something that is a threat? Are we really complaining that a group or someone has recognized that we have a problem with obesity, hypertension and bad health? What are we supposed to do? Not say anything, just let it roll? What's wrong with trying to make a difference? You actually think we won't have greasy foods to eat? It's not like someone is coming in your house and taking your ingredients away or taking them away from the grocery store. If it ever got to that, then we would have a problem. However, things like that happen everyday; it is decided that something is UNHEALTHY for the population and it is discontinued, removed from the shelves. What is the difference here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies