Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,629,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I enjoy a good meal as much as the next person but I don't see what is so bad about change. What is happening now is an out of control obesity rate among other illnesses caused by poor eating habits. I don't see anything wrong with encouraging restaurants to serve healthier choices. Everything should not be driven by greed. Perhaps healthy menu choices will help business...On occasion, I have declined to go to lunch with a coworker because she wants to go to the Cheesecake Factory and get her favorite fried macaroni and cheese balls. Sometimes I go, but when I feel really could do without the heavy fatty, high carb meals that they serve there, I say no. Perhaps if I felt that there were more tasty and healthy things to choose from, I would have gone more often. I notice that most sandwich shops now serve a variety of breads, low-fat mayo and other low fat choices. A lot of restaurants have added more veggies to their menus. There is also usually a section that has something to do with healthy choices. Nothing wrong with this. What we want is not always what we need. While I think it is okay to get what you want sometimes, there should be more alternatives for the health conscious and we should be more concerned with our health as a nation.
Are you saying that the Cheesecake Factory has NO salads to offer??
wow. I have a hard time believing that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 08:34 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,629,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Its not hard unless someone is lazy? They can work up to it. Start by walking at a brisk pace, then as your muscles and tendons get used to it, start slow jogging, walking and jogging, until you can get to a run and then run and jog until you can get a full run. Run by time, start with 15 mins, then increment it 5 mins every 2-3 weeks, eventually anyone can run that and you can hit around 8-10 miles if you run for 60 mins. I usually do about 5 in 36 mins.

We can tax people based on what they are willing to put in. If they choose not to run, well... they pay the full tax. If they run part of it, the tax gets reduced in turn. This way, as so many people here are saying, it isn't an infringement, people have the choice to run or not run, they just have to pay more not to. Fair? Sure... why not? I mean, this is the very caring and compassionate logic so many here are using?

Just think, people would be in shape and there would be no more fat people in the country to disgust liberals! They could then focus on those stupid conservatives and work in a system of forcing them to be smart! You know, we can apply CIA tactics, maybe water-boarding them until they accept the liberal ideal and belief. Call it education camp or something like that! Its all for the good of the people! /boggle

What I find disturbing is that my over the top demand was even considered by you. You didn't object to the demand I made, you simply reasoned it as impractical. The point is, you don't even get how oppressive your position is and that should scare the living crap out of people. I was being sarcastic, you were being serious! Society is going in the dumps.

Can you point to some specific cases as to how it has an effect on our lives? Oh, you mean people who living on government assistance?

I have private insurance, I have never taken a drop of government money and in fact have more times than not paid them more than they deserve. Never collected unemployment, paid for my own education and avoid ANYTHING I can that is an individual reliance on the system. Streets, etc... those are equally given and my use or no use of them makes no difference.

When I didn't have insurance, I paid the bill out of pocket. I had a 12k doctors bill I personally negotiated down between the doctor and myself and paid it myself.

So please, explain to me how I am a draw on the system? Go ahead, explain to me how I am have an affect on you? Because so far, you are the one suggesting you have to infringe on me to... well... I don't know, because I am responsible for myself, I just don't see how you are helping me at all? In fact, I am rather annoyed because each time your group gets a stupid idea, it costs me more money and it claims it is helping me as if I was some idiot who had no idea how to be responsible for myself.

And if you mean those who are sucking at the teet of your government programs, well... sorry, that is your own damn fault for handing out money to people who are choosing to be irresponsible. I shouldn't have to pay for them and you have no right to generalize me into the same position as them and strip me and others like me of our rights to make decisions for ourselves.

How about you set up a system that allows you to regulate and restrict, dictate and demand to those who are draining you? Seems fair enough, I mean they are the ones having an "effect" on you, not I. As it is now, YOU are having an effect on me and I think some laws need to be put into place to ban people like you who keep pushing into other peoples business to which they have absolutely no valid reason to do so.

So what do you say? You can go micromanage the lives of the idiots and I get to opt out and you can have your precious little Orwellian world were you get to dictate peoples lives to them. Sound good? Or is this going to have to get to the point where you push responsible people too far and we force you to leave us alone? keep pushing and that is what you get and I promise you, the well being of those oppressors health will be the last thing on their mind.
well-said!!!!!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,810,896 times
Quote:
I enjoy a good meal as much as the next person but I don't see what is so bad about change. What is happening now is an out of control obesity rate among other illnesses caused by poor eating habits. I don't see anything wrong with encouraging restaurants to serve healthier choices. Everything should not be driven by greed. Perhaps healthy menu choices will help business...On occasion, I have declined to go to lunch with a coworker because she wants to go to the Cheesecake Factory and get her favorite fried macaroni and cheese balls. Sometimes I go, but when I feel really could do without the heavy fatty, high carb meals that they serve there, I say no. Perhaps if I felt that there were more tasty and healthy things to choose from, I would have gone more often. I notice that most sandwich shops now serve a variety of breads, low-fat mayo and other low fat choices. A lot of restaurants have added more veggies to their menus. There is also usually a section that has something to do with healthy choices. Nothing wrong with this. What we want is not always what we need. While I think it is okay to get what you want sometimes, there should be more alternatives for the health conscious and we should be more concerned with our health as a nation.
I bet restaurants that will try that will be losing money and will be forced
to go back to the normal amounts of salt or go out of business.

Imagine a Mcdonald's commercial with a slogan at the end "We Add Salt!"

Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
I happen to be someone that eats out, so it is about me
and I get to give my opinion even if you don't like it
ask me if I give a fig.....Oh, I will tell you
NO!
no, she does not have the right to tell chief's how to cook
if folks are worried about their salt intake, then let them ask for a low-salt
meal, simple
or eat a salad, good grief
or God forbid stay the hell home and cook
She DOES get to tell "chief's" (not even really chefs, how many people go to places where there are actual "chief's" instead of big massive restaurants?) how to cook, it's her position and right to make the speech that she made, which is what we are talking about, right? It's not a law, it's not a demand at this point, she is doing what a First Lady does and a First Lady is supposed to be a leader of this country. A lot of people were simply attacking as if she was doing something wrong by saying that we need to focus more on better choices (which, we as a nation, obviously aren't doing).

Learn how to spell. I'm just saying ...

Old 09-15-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
So you are saying because many people make poor choices that we need the government to legislate it?

People will only change their diet and improve their health if they are motivated and usually internally motivated. For whatever reason be it health, vanity, or wanting to see their grandchildren.

People will find a way to get their sugar and fat even if the gov't tries to control it. Just like Obama sneaks his cigarette smokes in even though Michelle and his daughters try and stop him.
Where did anyone say that the government would "legislate" something? Honestly, a lot of you are just looking for something to whine about and to feel violated on. I am the last person to want the government to impose on me, but I read the speech, I read the article, none of what any of you were saying had anything to do with the article. It's almost as if you just read the title. That's ignorant.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
She should probably be more worried about her husband's disgusting habit. Smoking is one of the major causes of cancer and heart disease.
She should work on her home problems first.

What's that saying from the Bible? Something about don't worry about the splinter in your neighbor's eye when you have a log in yours!!!
Do you really think she hasn't tried to "work on her home problems" first? Or maybe she has. Maybe she is the reason he smokes less than he did years ago. Didn't she say in the news link that she has been trying to get her husband to stop smoking? Do you think it will be simple for her to just force him to stop smoking? Just in the same way that many here are saying that she can't tell people what to eat? So, what is she supposed to do, not even make her suggestions? Be it with the restaurants or her husband's smoking habit?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Where did she say that you can't do something?
I've asked about 5 times now and no one can point me to it.
So, what did she say or are you making stuff up?
Exactly. Unfortunately, it seems like most people who posted something negative really didn't read the speech and just wanted to hate on this initiative. We need to read more, , maybe we wouldn't have such a problem with things that we think we have a problem with because we'd realize that there really is no problem. Our favorite thing to do is come on message boards and respond to links that we really didn't read, haha.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
People are soo immature. Talking about her body and her parenting...give me a break. I don't know how people can be so cruel and before you talk about what others have said about past first ladies, one I never talked badly about any FLOTUS, and secondly, two wrongs do not make a right. Shame on those of you who are being so immature, petty and condscending...so much for family values. Clearly your parents did not teach you any manners...wannabe cyber bullies.
Yup.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

LMAO. I do wonder what all the knee-jerk ultra conservatives would have to say if Mrs. Obama did indeed address the economy, jobs, or our failing schools. I shudder to think.
I think it would be great if she would go on a national campaign to promote children completing school, we have a 50% drop out rate in some cities. There is no greater detriment to a socirty if their children are not being educated properly.

But since you cannot legislate children to finish school, can't create a regulation to force them to study and not skip class, Michelle is focusing on whether or not I go to Red Lobster and eat something salty.

But you can head up a campaign to push the private food service or food packaging industry to lower sodium and fat in their foods, and then push for legislation and regulations to force them to to do so.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Here's a more recent picture of Michelle Obama, taken in August*. She hardly looks fat to me. In fact, you can see the muscles rippling in her arms and shoulders.
Now that's a healthy, beautiful family right there. Much healthier looking than probably 85% of the people I saw in the grocery store tonight, wobbling around. LOL Just saying ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies