Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:46 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

I very, very, very rarely see a full burqa or niqab in the US.
Um, my parents and I were having lunch at the local mall just a month ago and several women walked by, fully covered, just their eyes showing.

I have to admit, it was startling to see them.

Last edited by cricket_factor; 09-14-2010 at 06:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 04:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

The national security risk that could hide a bomb under that veil.
Or a backpack or a Ryder truck.

Quote:
They look suspicious.
Only to the paranoid and clinically xenophobic.

Quote:
Faith or no faith, it's not what the government wants.
So, am I to understand that what the government wants trumps individual freedom? Oh, I can't wait to see how you will try and maintain that position with any intellectually consistency.

Quote:
It's unsafe, and it spreads ISLAMOPHOBIA.
The only thing that spreads Islamophobia are the intolerant and ridiculous statements made by folks such as yourself.

Quote:
they can wear it in their nation of origin.
Don't know how to break this too you, but 25% of all Muslims in the U.S. are native born.

Quote:
When in ROME, do as the ROMANS do
Perhaps one day you will figure out that the U.S. isn't Rome, France and anywhere else for one critical reason, religious tolerance. Perhaps instead of telling others what they should do with their foreign ways perhaps you should take the time to acquaint yourself with ours.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:11 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Or a backpack or a Ryder truck.
Cover that truck with a burka and it's 2x as suspicious without wearing the burka.

Quote:
Only to the paranoid and clinically xenophobic.
I'm neither. I don't have to be paranoid to say the burka looks suspicious and it makes the wearer look like a black ghost.

Quote:
So, am I to understand that what the government wants trumps individual freedom? Oh, I can't wait to see how you will try and maintain that position with any intellectually consistency.
In France, they have their laws. In the USA we have ours.
France says no-go on the hijab/burka/ninjawear. And they're right. In WESTERN society it's not standard clothing to wear. And we live in the SECULAR west. If they don't like it they have the option to move back to where it is common to find people who wear that. It is not the West who has to bend, and accommodate what the MUSLIM wants, because this is not where they come from.

Quote:
The only thing that spreads Islamophobia are the intolerant and ridiculous statements made by folks such as yourself.
No, it spreads islamophobia when France outlaws the burka and some muslim puts out a bomb threat at the Eiffel tower.

Quote:
Don't know how to break this too you, but 25% of all Muslims in the U.S. are native born.
And I have been around Muslims in the USA who don't wear the full body burka. I go to europe and see black ghosts everywhere. It's not American Muslim culture to wear the FULL BODY NINJA COSTUME.

Quote:
Perhaps one day you will figure out that the U.S. isn't Rome, France and anywhere else for one critical reason, religious tolerance. Perhaps instead of telling others what they should do with their foreign ways perhaps you should take the time to acquaint yourself with ours.
Yes, the USA is Rome. And we're very near to the fall of the USA. Just as Rome fell, so is the USA. And it's all because of people who have ideas like yours.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...ke-prison.html

Last edited by LuckyGem; 09-14-2010 at 05:19 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 06:08 PM

19 posts, read 17,161 times
An ex-muslim told me that it doesn't say women have to cover their heads anywhere in the Koran, only their "private parts." He said that ninja stuff is man made laws from the religious leaders (mostly in areas where women are oppressed), and tradition, not required.

So that would mean in America where you can't be stoned for not wearing one, it is a choice, like whether or not to wear a ski mask. So business owners should have the right to ask you to remove it or leave.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:17 PM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I think in public you owe it to the world not to look like a ninja causing a national security risk.

At home wear the ninja costume you want but not in public.

Remember, you're walking around in a Western Society where we don't wear ninja costumes in public. We wear non-religious western clothing. Play a ninja at home.

You're always free to return to the land you came from where everyone wears a ninja costume.

In France, no ninja costumes in public.
LOL, that kind of defeats the purpose. There is no need to wear a burqa at home. It's what they put on to go out.

To answer the OP--no, I don't think it's OK for people to walk around with their faces covered, unless it's Halloween. Wear the hijab or wear a headscarf but I think the face covering opens up too many problems. We'll have every bank robber and hit man wearing burqas to get where they need to go and not be identified.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:24 PM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry21012 View Post
An ex-muslim told me that it doesn't say women have to cover their heads anywhere in the Koran, only their "private parts." He said that ninja stuff is man made laws from the religious leaders (mostly in areas where women are oppressed), and tradition, not required.

So that would mean in America where you can't be stoned for not wearing one, it is a choice, like whether or not to wear a ski mask. So business owners should have the right to ask you to remove it or leave.
That is probably the best solution. Let businesses decide as part of a dress code. If someone wants to walk down the street in a burqa, there shouldn't be a problem. I am not convinced that it is safe to drive with the face covered, though, and as someone else pointed out, a cop would have the right to see someone's face if they pulled them over.

I think relatively few Muslim women wear burqas, though, and a lot of it depends upon their country of origin. The culture influences the way Islam in interpreted.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Wow better not leave the bunker. They're coming for you

Old 09-14-2010, 07:12 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
what do you guys think? if I was walking around 7-11 in a ski mask, I would get picked up in a second. also, isn't this a massive driving hazard? I don't advocate any dress codes, but it seems like someone covering their entire face trying to drive is an accident waiting to happen. wearing them out in the general public is fine, but do you support the right of a private store owner to kick them out of their stores?

I already responded on this elsewhere but....

I personally enjoy walking around in a ski mask. In deepest, darkest Alaska winter it was permitted, which was lovely (although some shops had a sign that required that you remove your ski mask before entering. Seriously).

That said, I think its a good global dress code that people don't cruise around completely masked, be it in a ski mask or a burqa. I do not believe that it is inherent to Islamic code that women move about completley cloaked (though I have seen some beautiful burqas and the way the women dress under them is decidedly "modern").

I like the whole cloaked look, but don't think it is a good look for walking about public society. Not at all. And its not just aesthetics. Its about the dangers of misidentification also. How the heck do we know who you are behind all that fabric?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:18 PM

646 posts, read 393,936 times
do you have anything to say, or add, or are you just a troll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Wow better not leave the bunker. They're coming for you

Old 09-14-2010, 09:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is probably the best solution. Let businesses decide as part of a dress code. If someone wants to walk down the street in a burqa, there shouldn't be a problem. I am not convinced that it is safe to drive with the face covered, though, and as someone else pointed out, a cop would have the right to see someone's face if they pulled them over.

I think relatively few Muslim women wear burqas, though, and a lot of it depends upon their country of origin. The culture influences the way Islam in interpreted.
Not in the USA - people should not have the right to wear whtever they like.

Just like college kids don't have the right to put up nooses. We really don't get to do whatever we want here, and certainly the same should apply to Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies