Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:10 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Yes, I know. but the ideal all-white closet case Religious Right-type RW world is abhorrent to me and people who think like me. I guess never the twain shall meet.
odd. i'm neither all-white nor the slightest bit religious, yet i don't find it even the tiniest bit terrifying. perhaps 'you and the people who think like you' are so devoted to whipping yourselves into a state of loathing and terror that you've created a non-existant face to put on the opposition that has little basis in reality, much like the righties who are convinced that obama is a communist muslim?
just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 08:20 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,203,744 times
[quote=John1960;15886760]After an exhaustive search, we have been unable to find an instance where Ms. Palin advocated for the government to intervene in the free practice of religion, QUOTE]

If Sarah Palin could have her way, the only religion would be fundie Christian (not Christian, but extreme fundie Christian), women would be forced to birth their rapists babies regardless of mental, physical, health issues, the U.S. would go to war with other countries because "God told her so", etc.

Sarah Palin is not someone I would want to ever see in high office. She doesn't scare me because she's a Republican, Democrat, Martian, etc. She scares me because she's a twit who knows nothing, but pretends that she knows everything and she's convinced people that being an ignorant twit is okay and that people like her should have access to high national office.

For crying out loud, the world out there is multi-lingual for one thing and she is barely mono-lingual.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:21 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is what is wrong with mixing a comedy career with politcs;the clowns begin to believe they make sense.
True I liked Maher before I realized that his political views were the bases for all of his jokes. Waste of talent if you ask me.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:22 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,428 times
[quote=Donna7;15893546]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
After an exhaustive search, we have been unable to find an instance where Ms. Palin advocated for the government to intervene in the free practice of religion, QUOTE]

If Sarah Palin could have her way, the only religion would be fundie Christian (not Christian, but extreme fundie Christian), women would be forced to birth their rapists babies regardless of mental, physical, health issues, the U.S. would go to war with other countries because "God told her so", etc.

Sarah Palin is not someone I would want to ever see in high office. She doesn't scare me because she's a Republican, Democrat, Martian, etc. She scares me because she's a twit who knows nothing, but pretends that she knows everything and she's convinced people that being an ignorant twit is okay and that people like her should have access to high national office.

For crying out loud, the world out there is multi-lingual for one thing and she is barely mono-lingual.
multi-lingual has nothing to do with the Sarah Palin debate. But, it would be nice if she would go away

Old 09-15-2010, 08:27 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
odd. i'm neither all-white nor the slightest bit religious, yet i don't find it even the tiniest bit terrifying. perhaps 'you and the people who think like you' are so devoted to whipping yourselves into a state of loathing and terror that you've created a non-existant face to put on the opposition that has little basis in reality, much like the righties who are convinced that obama is a communist muslim?
just a thought.
Add "war-mongering" to the list of adjectives in my post.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:28 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i don't see the connection between appeal and awareness.

does being aware of it now make you a jingoist?
If I had heard the phrase back then, I would have ignored it because, to me, it smacks of jingoism. If I did not pay attention to it back then, my awareness of it and its intent would have been minimal, if non-existent.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Quote:
After an exhaustive search, we have been unable to find an instance where Ms. Palin advocated for the government to intervene in the free practice of religion,

Old 09-15-2010, 08:49 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,446,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Interesting. I was not aware of the phrase/effort back in 2006 - 2007, perhaps because jingoism does not appeal to me.
Jingoism doesn't appeal to you? Did you chant "Yes we can!" at all?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:50 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
The comedian pontificates on religions as "Fairy Tales" then goes after Sarah Palin because he is under the belief that Ms Palin wanted to have the government deny Muslims the right to practice their religion under the 1st Amendment. After an exhaustive search, we have been unable to find an instance where Ms. Palin advocated for the government to intervene in the free practice of religion, so we expect Mr.

Breitbart.tv » Bill Maher Slams Religion and Palin; Tea Parties are ‘Nativist Bedwetters’ Who Fear Obama’s ‘Negro Army’
Follow the money.

Here's the thing about Bill Maher. He's on HBO, a pay channel.

Broadcast and cable TV shows make their revenue from advertising. What they charge for advertising is based on ratings (audience numbers) and age demographics and even sometimes gender of the audience. Good audience numbers and they get to charge more for advertising. So, their goal is to appeal to a lot of people and/or a target demographic so they can make money. Low numbers and the shows are history even if they win awards because advertisers need a lot of people seeing their ads. That's what they are paying for.

HBO, on the other hand, gets its revenue from subscriptions to HBO, not commercials or individual show audience numbers. How do they get those subscriptions? By touting HBO's "award winning" TV series. (If you have a subscription, they don't care if you watch Bill Maher or not.) You may have noticed they do more original programming (vs theatrically released movies) than ever before and they don't tout the movies, they tout their series. So, HBO series, unlike broadcast and cable series, are under the gun to win awards (to make more people want to subscribe to HBO). And who votes on those awards??? HOLLYWOOD. So essentially, HBO series like Bill Maher have to attract Hollywood award voters in order to survive. That's who is Bill Maher's target audience and the target audience of HBO original series. Hollywood. He needs to please the Hollywood crowd to get awards and HBO will keep the show going so they can mention the awards when they're publicly trolling for subscribers. Now do you understand him? He says what Hollywood wants to hear. His job is to stimulate/excite Hollywood so they give his show awards. He doesn't have to deliver audience numbers (appeal to a wide variety of people). He just has to win awards. That it's his far lefty opinion, too, just makes it easy.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:59 AM

"Follow the money"? Bill Maher writes and says what he wants to. HBO intelligently picked him up and has let him be himself since 2003, years before they ramped up their original programming, after he was kicked off ABC for displeasing their hare-brained "eternal mob" audience.
ABC decided against renewing Maher's contract for Politically Incorrect in 2002, after he made a controversial on-air remark shortly after the September 11th attacks,[14] whereby he agreed with his guest, conservative pundit Dinesh D'Souza, that the 9/11 terrorists did not act in a cowardly manner. Maher replied, "We have been the cowards. Lobbing cruise missiles from two thousand miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building. Say what you want about it. Not cowardly. You're right." Maher later clarified that his comment was not anti-military in any way whatsoever, referencing his well-documented longstanding support for the American military.[15][16][17][18][19]

In the context of the sensitive aftermath of the attacks, such a remark was deemed too controversial for some corporate advertisers. Although some pundits, including conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh, came to Maher's defense in pointing out the distinction between physical and moral cowardice,[20] several companies including FedEx and Sears Roebuck pulled their advertisements from the show, costing the show more than it returned. Ari Fleischer, the then White House Press Secretary for the Bush Administration, addressed the issue in response to a reporter's question about Maher's remark during a daily press briefing: "...they're reminders to all Americans that they need to watch what they say, watch what they do. This is not a time for remarks like that..."[21]

Last edited by delusianne; 09-15-2010 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: clearer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies