Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should USA invade Iran..?
YES,enough evidence exists so that we take preemptive military action 7 11.67%
YES,CONDITIONALLY,if more evidence on the malice of that regime surface 3 5.00%
NO,measures first,military action should be the last option 23 38.33%
NOT AT ALL,only non military measures,under all circumstances... 27 45.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:11 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
How would we pay for it!!! lol

With two wars costing trillions and stimulus and bailout bills also costing trillions and our economy still being very weak with no solid evidence of major improvement...war unless it was between life and death is not an option!
I think the war hawks think tax money grows on trees. I bet none will bring up the possibility of the need to raise taxes to pay for their wars. They're more likely to declare a need for tax cuts in the event of war like Bush did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 11:12 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I guess that's the position we should have taken after the Battle of Britian. I'm sure things would have just worked out fine for them and us. Hitler would have danced at that idea.
No, it's the position we should've taken with Vietnam and Iraq, but I guess the war mongers/military contractors wouldn't have danced at that, eh?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
We intervened PRIOR to that by aiding Britain.

The question remains, if we leave the mid east to it's own devices, what will happen? Is the US better off or not?

Our many costly years of involvement in the reagion certainly haven't created stability or anything remotely close to peace, time to tell every country in the region they have two choices, they can learn to live together or they can die together. And if they mess with the US they will be vaporized.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:16 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Our many costly years of involvement in the reagion certainly haven't created stability or anything remotely close to peace, time to tell every country in the region they have two choices, they can learn to live together or they can die together. And if they mess with the US they will be vaporized.

We have a winner. Don't start no s*** won't be no s***!

Old 12-22-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
We have a winner. Don't start no s*** won't be no s***!
That'd be my ME policy, there's just no way I can believe thousands of years of hatred will ever be eliminated by an outsider.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:20 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
No, it's the position we should've taken with Vietnam and Iraq, but I guess the war mongers/military contractors wouldn't have danced at that, eh?
Vietnam and Iraq are weak arguments because there was no sufficient evidence (especially in Iraq) to be there in the first place. There is sufficient evidence to believe that Israel will invade Iran because they continue to develop nuclear weapons. If you don't intervene or maintain a presence in that situation, then the region will break down and destabilize. Israel has already said that it will invade--Iran says that it will continue to develop the technology. What more do you want? Are you waiting for the Fuhrer to show up at your doorsteps? The US needs to continue sanctioning and damaging them on an economic level. Military intrusion should always be a last resort.
But sitting back and smoking a pipe in your rocking chair didn't work in the second world war and it won't work here.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
That'd be my ME policy, there's just no way I can believe thousands of years of hatred will ever be eliminated by an outsider.

That is my policy as well. Our intervention in that region certainly hasn't helped. Furthermore, our intervention in Vietnam didn't stop the spread of Communism.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:24 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
I don't disagree, but the problem has always been with how to manage the situation, not that intervention should have been avoided altogether. We originally went into Iraq and just rushed the front door without a plan, and what we have now is the result. It could have been handled much more effectively with better results. The problem was centered around 1. Our reason for being there in the first place and 2. What do we do once we get in there? Neither of questions were really handled well.

But the question remains--is the US better off if it plays an isolationist role in the mid east?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Vietnam and Iraq are weak arguments because there was no sufficient evidence (especially in Iraq) to be there in the first place. There is sufficient evidence to believe that Israel will invade Iran because they continue to develop nuclear weapons. If you don't intervene or maintain a presence in that situation, then the region will break down and destabilize.
How do you "destabilize" a system that IS NOT stable?

Quote:
Israel has already said that it will invade--Iran says that it will continue to develop the technology. What more do you want? Are you waiting for the Fuhrer to show up at your doorsteps? The US needs to continue sanctioning and damaging them on an economic level. Military intrusion should always be a last resort.
But sitting back and smoking a pipe in your rocking chair didn't work in the second world war and it won't work here.

Khrushchev said he would bury us. I guess you would have launched an invasion/occupation of the USSR based on cheap talk?

And IF Israel invades?

It's our problem because?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
That is my policy as well. Our intervention in that region certainly hasn't helped. Furthermore, our intervention in Vietnam didn't stop the spread of Communism.
Didn't hurt the US either, we trade with them for cripes sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies