Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 06:24 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
The DREAM Act is a bi-partisan piece of legislation pioneered by Orin Hatch and Dick Durbin.

Among the co-sponsors when it was introduced in the Senate in 2007 were Chuck Hagel, Mike Crapo, Dick Lugar and John McCain.

I know, I know -- all RINOs.
This Republican co-sponsored legislation has been knocking around for years. Say what you want about Reid, but he's a master politician. He's probably doing it to embarrass Republican senators and further alienate the Tea Party from the Republican establishment right before the election. A very shrewd and clever maneuver that seems to be working. Go, Harry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 06:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
This Republican co-sponsored legislation has been knocking around for years. Say what you want about Reid, but he's a master politician. He's probably doing it to embarrass Republican senators and further alienate the Tea Party from the Republican establishment right before the election. A very shrewd and clever maneuver that seems to be working. Go, Harry.
I'd say that this amendment pretty well retires Harry from his NV-Senatorship. Yes, go Harry, go already!

Old 09-15-2010, 07:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
When you were 11 or younger, if your parents had moved somewhere, would you have moved with them? Would you have known whether or not it was "legal" for you to live with your parents wherever they were living? Would you have even had a choice in the matter? If you attended school full-time, got good grades and were a good "citizen" (no arrests, no truancy, etc.) for 5 years or longer in the place your parents moved you to, as you came of age considering this your home, would you not want the opportunity to get a conditional residency permit where you could work to meet requirements to earn citizenship in the place you've lived most of your "aware" life, regardless of your parents' bad acts?
Jill61..I'm against illegal immigration or any program to allow them to stay.
Go home, pay foreign student tuition.

We just cannot afford this as a country. It's not a few hundred or a few thousand..it's in the millions and they have not stopped coming here.

I actually feel bad for the folks that take the legal route and wait years and pay their own kids way through school.
These honest folks are getting the short end of the stick here. The rewards go to those that broke the law.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

We just cannot afford this as a country. It's not a few hundred or a few thousand..it's in the millions and they have not stopped coming here.

I actually feel bad for the folks that take the legal route and wait years and pay their own kids way through school.
These honest folks are getting the short end of the stick here. The rewards go to those that broke the law.
Yep, everyone who plays by the rules is being punished by our government, immigration and those who have done it legally are just one example in a very long line. Apparently Harry Reid is out to prove the adage "crime pays".

Old 09-15-2010, 07:40 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Guess what? I'm against illegal immigration, too. In fact, I'm probably more prone to be against illegal immigration since I had to go through the process and pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars in fees to get my now-husband into the country legally.

But we can't fault children for what their parents do.

IMO there is one way and one way only that we can actually stop illegal immigration, and that is to go after every, any and all people who employ them. Hit them with huge fines. Put them out of business if necessary. Put the owners in prison if they violate more than once and it can be proven that it was done knowingly. If there are no jobs, they will not come!

But to do that, we're going to have to <gasp> grow government to have enough agents to enforce the laws we already have on the books. And I don't know any Republicans or Tea Partiers who'd get behind that.

And in the meantime, we still shouldn't punish children for the sins of their parents.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Guess what? I'm against illegal immigration, too. In fact, I'm probably more prone to be against illegal immigration since I had to go through the process and pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars in fees to get my now-husband into the country legally.

But we can't fault children for what their parents do.

IMO there is one way and one way only that we can actually stop illegal immigration, and that is to go after every, any and all people who employ them. Hit them with huge fines. Put them out of business if necessary. Put the owners in prison if they violate more than once and it can be proven that it was done knowingly. If there are no jobs, they will not come!

But to do that, we're going to have to <gasp> grow government to have enough agents to enforce the laws we already have on the books. And I don't know any Republicans or Tea Partiers who'd get behind that.

And in the meantime, we still shouldn't punish children for the sins of their parents.
And why not? At a certain age they understand they are illegally here too. Yes, parental behavior has huge consequences for the children. Do not reward the actions of the parents by giving their children amnesty. That is exactly what the parents hope for. Get it?

NO AMNESTY

Old 09-15-2010, 08:23 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
And why not? At a certain age they understand they are illegally here too. Yes, parental behavior has huge consequences for the children. Do not reward the actions of the parents by giving their children amnesty. That is exactly what the parents hope for. Get it?

NO AMNESTY
Quoted because I have to spread some around before I rep you again.

Reid needs to go the way of Daischle.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:30 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

NO AMNESTY
Why not? Get real. Fourteen, fifteen and sixteen year olds cannot be expected to just run away from home and escape into what is a foreign country to them, just because of something their parents did.

You want to stop children from being eligible for this law? Get Big Business, especially Big Agribusiness, to stop hiring the parents and knowingly allowing their underage children to work for pennies in their fields! Fine them, shut them down, put them in prison if necessary, and send the parents home before they've been here 5 consecutive years!

But we do not punish CHILDREN for the sins of their parents!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:36 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I'm mostly in support of the people who would qualify under the terms of the DREAM ACT. Those are the type of people we want to give citizenship to, no just whoever is next in line. We should be picky. And I don't exactly get how people think they are somehow taking from the system and not putting back. Not all are using social services. And if they can work and pay taxes after college they are doing the same things natrual born citizens are doing, nothing less. If they serve in the military they are doing things that even some natural born citizens won't do. However, I don't support passing this UNTIL we get a handle on the border because it becomes perpetual amnesty....sneak any child over the border and it's an automatic. Not good.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:38 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times
Quote:
Why not?
1) Because that will send the wrong signal.
2) It'll most likely create more Democratic voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies