Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 06:20 PM

52,212 posts, read 33,980,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
This post is disgusting.

So basically if a bunch of Muslims burn an American flag on US soil to intentionally offend us and are shot by a bunch of citizens you would think that they were getting exactly what they were bargaining for?

If two gay men started kissing in the middle of a square nearby many Christians who find their love offensive and then the two are horribly beaten, you're saying they got what they asked for?

What a bunch of politically correct BS you wrote. It sickens me excusing these radical nutjobs behavior just because you have some sort of apologetic attitude towards radical Islam.

The people inciting death threats against this woman are terrorists. They intent to instill fear in everyone protesting freedom of expression and the idea that not everyone should live by the laws of someone else's religion. Yes, these people who are turning violent are evil, pure evil, and I could give a crap if they're offended by a stupid drawing. If they have a problem with it they are free to write a letter or protest peacefully.

Then again, I'm sure I'm offending some by writing this (which I could care less about). So I guess I deserve to die now.
you said it much more eloquently than i.
+1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 06:20 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,483,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
In America, the deliberate incitement of violence should not be mistaken for genuine criticism or satire, either.

You do not consider sponsoring a "Draw Mohammad Day" to be special treatment because of threats of violence? Why do we not then see regular "Draw Buddha Days," or "Draw Flying Spaghetti Monster Days?"

It is because those faiths do not respond violently to such things. So the special treatment of a "Draw Mohammad Day" was reserved for Islam because of the threats of violence it was intended to draw.

It is difficult to read many of these threads and take seriously the assertion that these actions were meant as "exercises in enlightenment." Instead many (especially the Florida Qur'an burning") were little more than penis waving.

And I'm sorry... that is something I find no virtue in whatsoever.
Sorry, I no longer take you seriously. Thanks for the conversation though.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:21 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,805,462 times
Quote:
I must conclude that the old saying "Discretion is the better part of valor" is one that you have no familiarity with?

She is cowering now because of what she chose to do. She was not cowering before. The change in her status is a result of her actions. Nothing else has changed. Certainly not the behavior of Muslims.

Islam is no existential threat to us. Let me repeat that to make sure you get the point.

Islam is no existential threat to us.

I do not live in fear of Islam. But then again, I do not go out of my way to get Muslims to want to hurt me.
Islam is no existential threat to us as long as we do nothing to offend any Muslims...

Old 09-15-2010, 06:22 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,887,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Religion of peace . . .
More like religion of pieces. It's just a matter of time before this conflict between Islam and the modern Western world comes to head. They are forcing it. That religion is among the worst abominations to grace this planet today.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:27 PM

36,933 posts, read 18,816,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You libs defend everyone but your own citizens over "their rights".
Disgusting.

What she did was freedom of speech. You guys are condoning the outcome..saying she deserved it ?
I guess this is the start of censorship..brought to you by the party of "tolerance and acceptance".
No, absolutely opposed to censorship.

If you truly believe that what she did was to utilize her right to free speech, perhaps you should draw Mohammed, have the picture framed professionally, and take the picture down to your local mosque and tell them you brought them an icon to adorn the walls of their house of worship.

I'll bet they'd like it. Don't you think so?

Old 09-15-2010, 06:27 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,874,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I personally was never in the least afraid.
On the contrary. You are quivering in fear.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:29 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,797,857 times
Quote:
I am simply objecting to fake outrage directed at consequences that were deliberately courted by the people now facing them.
Are you objecting fake outrage that comes from Muslims as well?

Let me ask you something.

If that controversial imam changed his mind and moved the location of
the mosque triggering Muslim outrage would you be saying it was fake?

Old 09-15-2010, 06:30 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,019,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So then US citizens should not do or say anything that would offend any Muslims around the world because then we'd have to go into hiding ?

Is that what you are implying ?
Why would I imply anything when I clearly have no problem saying exactly what I think?

You can do or say anything you please. You can fly to Saudi Arabia and drop your drawers at the gates of Medina for all I care. You must then accept the consequences of your choices, since they are driven by what is true, not by what is "right."

There is a single, foundational misconception that Americans have about Muslims, and I think it short circuits the reasoning of people when trying to get a handle on a world view that is as completely alien to our own as that of Islam. It is a falsehood that has been formally embraced by many people in a position of power, one that was explicit in the rhetoric of our last President. It is the belief that Muslims hate us because of who we are.

Nonsense. They do not care who we are. They do not hate us because of MacDonalds, or Brittany Spears, or pork sausages, or Kentucky bourbon.

Muslims do not care who we are, they care what we do.

It does not matter whether what we do is right or wrong. We may be absolutely on the side of justice, righteousness, good and light... it does not matter.

They hate us because of what we do. We know exactly what it is that we do that they hate.

So when we choose to do what we know they will hate, we should be prepared at all times to deal with the consequences.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:30 PM

36,933 posts, read 18,816,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
On the contrary. You are quivering in fear.
No. I considered Bush and crew to be terrorists as much as the people they excoriated.

Still do.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:32 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,805,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
No, absolutely opposed to censorship.

If you truly believe that what she did was to utilize her right to free speech, perhaps you should draw Mohammed, have the picture framed professionally, and take the picture down to your local mosque and tell them you brought them an icon to adorn the walls of their house of worship.

I'll bet they'd like it. Don't you think so?
Like this:

See,this is a Muslim depiction of Mohammed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies