Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:30 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times

Advertisements

It was after the death of discourse that such candidates as Palin were even considered noteworthy. Today the US press is guilty of feeding the fires of discontent by failing to provide the ingredients for the critical thinking that is a necessity in American politics. People with little practical experience are now assuming they are ready for prime time politics, kind of like a TV style contest we could call "so you wanna be a politician", why not just make our decisions based upon who is the best dancer, or singer, or any other talent except that of the required knowledge of those who would make our laws or represent our country at the highest office.

Nancy Pelosi has taken plenty of hits, I get at least two anti Pelosi e mails a month from a guy that thinks Glenn Beck is an intellectual, and he hates and fears Nancy Pelosi. Most American's are capable of seeing through some of the worst of our phonies up on Capitol Hill, but, put the poorly educated candidate on TV and it's now a contest of looks, personality, and least of all knowledge. In a serious roundtable discussion of foreign affairs with such heavy weights as those unknown types from the world of academia Sarah Palin would be mighty uncomfortable, holding your own with those who really have studied the issues assumes you have done the required reading and study to at least be cognizant of the nuances of foreign policy. Only a fool attempts to reach beyond their comprehension of the subject at hand, this is why some feel that Palin is that fool. Hate? I think we all know there is plenty of it on both sides of the political spectrum, I don't hate the people who are fools, but, I do fear for our country when we get to taking them seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 11:33 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
I find it SO ironic that the Right Wing continually bashes anything and anyone who does not think, speak or look like them yet they complain that they (and their political represenatives) aren't embraced and coddled by all.

How childish.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
misogyny toward conservative female candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Wrong post title. From your link:

"We must erase the pervasiveness of sexism against all women candidates — irrespective of political party or level of office — across all media platforms in order to position women to achieve equality in public office. We will not stand by as pundits, radio hosts, bloggers, and journalists damage women's political futures with misogynistic remarks. When you attack one woman, you attack all women."

(emphasis mine)

Old 09-16-2010, 11:38 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
I'll title my posts anyway I like. Or, did someone name you moderator for the day? Funny, I don't see a star by your name.

Show me a Democrat female who has been diss'd blatanlty on sexism alone (since Hillary in the 2008 primaries) and I'll change my post title. Otherwise, go away.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:41 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
I'll title my posts anyway I like. Or, did someone name you moderator for the day? Funny, I don't see a star by your name.

Show me a Democrat female who has been diss'd blatanlty on sexism alone (since Hillary in the 2008 primaries) and I'll change my post title. Otherwise, go away.
^^^^^
Exhibit A

Old 09-16-2010, 11:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
The group, "Name it, change it" is not just about conservative women. I like how you say, "show me one, except this one".

I have actually not read any sexist remarks about Ms. O'Donnell. She just seems nuts!

Old 09-16-2010, 11:44 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The group, "Name it, change it" is not just about conservative women. I like how you say, "show me one, except this one".

I have actually not read any sexist remarks about Ms. O'Donnell. She just seems nuts!
I never stated "name it change it" was about conservative women did I?

No, you chose to read that into it and then make false accusations didn't you.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:46 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm seeing a lot of personal attacks, and people questioning Christine Odonnell's intelligence.

We all saw--and continue to see--the same type of stuff about Palin.

what I wonder is...why do people go after conservative women so harshly but ignore complete dingbats like Pelosi, or Janet Napolitano, or Barbara Boxer, Diane Feinstein, etc?
So, what you're saying is that you would support hatred of the women you mention in your last paragraph (all of them labeled as liberal and/or Democrat) and question the hatred directed at O'Donnell and Palin (conservative and/or Republican)?

I think Palin and O'Connell's lack of intelligence is self-evident. That they are conservative is mostly irrelevant. I write "mostly" because I find it difficult to dissociate a conservative ideology from a lack of intelligence. Hating them isn't the word I'd use, but I think what you're calling "hate" is actually just harsh criticism, justly deserved. Both of them are poor choices of leadership and their followers must be chastised for showing a lack of judgment.

I can't stand Pelosi myself. My former governor, Napolitano, would let in all the illegals, so I can't stand her. Boxer and Feinstein typically stand up against the people I oppose politically, but I'm no fan of anyone in office currently. Generally, I have no problem calling these people out, but I trust that these women ARE intelligent even if they are misguided puppets most of the time. Palin and O'Connell, on the other hand, are poster children for ignorance. That's critical and realistic, not hateful.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
I never stated "name it change it" was about conservative women did I?

No, you chose to read that into it and then make false accusations didn't you.
You titled your post in a way that did not match up with the link. In that sense, you misrepresented the link. They called your attention to it.

As for liberal women being bashed for things besides their professional achievements, I think the repeated comments about our most recent Supreme Court nominees, especially the beyond-rude comments about their appearances, would fit the definition of sexism.

And again, many liberals appreciate the intelligence of prominent Republican women. As I noted, Sandra Day O'Connor, Elizabeth Dole, Condaleeza Rice, have garnered quite a bit of respect across the political spectrum.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:53 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Do a search here on C-D and I promise that you will find plenty of threads with people harping on about Pelosi, Napolitano, etc.
Typically, those are by conservatives. I'm wondering why the lefties tend to only harp on conservative women and give pelosi a pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies