Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:18 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It does add to the impression that the 0bama's are so wealthy and out of touch with middle America, that Michelle's idea of a throw-away, rag of a shirt to go painting in, was the equivalent of a weeks take-home pay for many people.

This might explain why she saw no problem slumming it it up in Spain, because she prob thought was doing her part in sacrificing, by not going to more extravagant locations.
I find this perception fascinating given the relative wealth of recent U.S. presidential candidates. George W. Bush was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and the McCains are drowning in cash, as are the Romney's.

New York Magazine...

Quote:
Compared to the average American, Obama is very wealthy. Compared to the other presidential candidates, he’s an indigent. His current salary is $165,200 (he earned $60,000 as a state senator). His wife, Michelle, has brought home the bacon—before she resigned in May 2007, $317,000 a year as the vice-president for community affairs at the University of Chicago hospitals. Like many of his candidate peers, Obama made some extra cash from his books, Dreams From My Father and The Audacity of Hope. For Dreams, which didn’t become hugely popular until Obama did, he collected a $370,000 advance; in 2006, he pulled down $147,490 in royalties. In 2005 Obama signed a three-book deal with Random House, taking a $1.9 million advance. The first book was Audacity, and he still owes another nonfiction title and a children’s book. Obama has a hobolike net worth of $1.3 million.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:50 AM

886 posts, read 2,226,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I wouldn't make this post at all, except that Michelle and Barack have made a lot of noise about the greed of bankers, business owners, etc. Many of those they criticize probably never bought a $200 shirt. Then Michelle shows up in one to paint a building. Am I alone in thinking this smacks of hypocrisy?

If someone wants a $200 shirt, I would usually say it's his own business. But again, when she and OB charge others with greed, what kind of message is this?
Are you serious? I make 40k a year and I've bought a $200 shirt. You don't think CEOs and bankers have? LOL

I also there is a MAJOR difference between someone buying a $200 shirt, and millionaire/billionaire CEOs who lay off workers, cut salaries, and then give themselves large bonuses and treat their high levels VPs/managers to expensive vacations....

Old 09-17-2010, 10:54 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
Are you serious? I make 40k a year and I've bought a $200 shirt. You don't think CEOs and bankers have? LOL

I also there is a MAJOR difference between someone buying a $200 shirt, and millionaire/billionaire CEOs who lay off workers, cut salaries, and then give themselves large bonuses and treat their high levels VPs/managers to expensive vacations....
Yep, plus the fact that the majority of the country has never even of the designer and wouldn't know a $200 t-shirt if one landed in their laps. This is all ridiculous.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:23 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trufflediva View Post
people do tend to pay too much attention to what the first lady wears and strangely enough, none of her clothes look like they're over 200 bucks to me- isn't expensive stuff supposed to at least be cute- inexpensive stuff can be cute too-but let's face it- some of her clothes are hideous. Look at it this way- lawyers can afford expensive clothes and what is ahe supposed to do, throw away the clothes she purchased b4 her hubby became president? ok maybe if they're that ugly but people trip off my big designer bag- not realizing that I got it for 5 bucks in the hood. [the issue here is not whether it was hot or cold, or left in a house for sale, with other undesirables, ok] but-you never know if someone purchases something at a discount or not.
I'm sure people could critique your wardrobe, my wardrobe, etc, ad naseum.
Cute? If you go for "cute" you're early 20s at best.
I'm sure you'd whine no matter where she shopped or what she paid or how she looks, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies