Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:24 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Oddly, it is not the job of the police to stop a crime. It is their job to apprehend the suspected perpetrators--and possibly confine them until trial. That is the limit of their "responsibility". Most of the time, they prefer to harass harmless citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 06:38 AM

296 posts, read 228,466 times
Are we gonna have dialogue on the subject of the thread

or are we going to suffer... "body mechanics " bs from thread hijackers ..?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:44 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Are we going to hear how a gun is going to magically save you? You can be killed with a gun in your hand, you know. It doesn't put out fires, either.

Is this thread only open to gun nuts, or is there room for a dissenting view?

Last edited by TKramar; 09-22-2010 at 07:34 AM..

Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
By knowing about things like body mechanics and leverage.
Is this you?

YouTube - Kung Fu Hillbilly - Training Video

Old 09-22-2010, 08:06 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
There's a difference between a 'gun nut' and a 'nut with a gun'.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:17 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Quote:
I don't believe there's a 25' room in my house.
Quote:
By knowing about things like body mechanics and leverage.
Quote:
Are we going to hear how a gun is going to magically save you? You can be killed with a gun in your hand, you know. It doesn't put out fires, either.

OK. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. My 9 year old Grandchild can overpower my hand strength, I walk with a limp, and need help getting out of a car. What types of physical defense do I use?

I will stick to my revolver, thank you.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:19 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
TK, Well I just hope the day where you need a gun for SD never happens. My day for that did come, long ago. More than once, but in all but 1 instance the gun didn't need to be fired. Just having it made most of the difference, because not many bad guys wanna get shot first.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:21 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Train your children better?
Sounds like a clever answer...but really? So what if the kid goes against my commands if they're dead, or if they accidentally shoot a friend.

I'd much rather hide behind the door with an axe handle. But then, I'm 6'1 and 320 pounds. I've been a weightlifter my whole life and could probably mess up most intruders if I catch them unawares.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 AM

35 posts, read 69,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I never touched the guns without permission.

I was under 13 and we never touched the guns...perhaps children are simply poorly trained nowadays?
I shot my first Coyote, by myself, when I was eight years old. We were taught from the age that we could understand English that a gun is dangerous. Even at that young age you understand what death is and that once you shoot something it's gone forever. We had loaded guns all over the house (for hunting mostly) and also in our vehicles. We never heard of anyone ever getting shot by a child. In the 20 years in the County there was only one hunting accident related to a teen or preteen.

In my opinion a coded hand gun case close to the bed is 100% insurance. It would take some time and a LOT of noise to break into most houses. I've practiced and I can be at full draw in 5 seconds with gun out of the case. As was previously stated, someone breaking in isn't going to know where YOU are. Besides, the sound of chambering a shotgun round is universal amongst the bad guys.

A weapon is a tool just like a hand drill and an empty rifle is simply a stick with a piece of metal attached. As for all the "what ifs" about the kids they can take the car keys, they can take a knife, they can raid the liquor cabinet or the drug case. They can do most anything but if you are a good Parent it isn't "likely".

Last edited by Armalite_Sniper; 09-22-2010 at 08:35 AM..

Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armalite_Sniper View Post
Besides, the sound of chambering a shotgun round is universal amongst the bad guys.
Usually, the sound of a chambering a shotgun is followed by the sound of poop hitting the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies