Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:22 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,595,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armalite_Sniper View Post
I shot my first Coyote, by myself, when I was eight years old. We were taught from the age that we could understand English that a gun is dangerous. Even at that young age you understand what death is and that once you shoot something it's gone forever. We had loaded guns all over the house (for hunting mostly) and also in our vehicles. We never heard of anyone ever getting shot by a child. In the 20 years in the County there was only one hunting accident related to a teen or preteen.

In my opinion a coded hand gun case close to the bed is 100% insurance. It would take some time and a LOT of noise to break into most houses. I've practiced and I can be at full draw in 5 seconds with gun out of the case. As was previously stated, someone breaking in isn't going to know where YOU are. Besides, the sound of chambering a shotgun round is universal amongst the bad guys.

A weapon is a tool just like a hand drill and an empty rifle is simply a stick with a piece of metal attached. As for all the "what ifs" about the kids they can take the car keys, they can take a knife, they can raid the liquor cabinet or the drug case. They can do most anything but if you are a good Parent it isn't "likely".
I understand that. I guess I don't much care about having a gun ready at the draw to go through the hassle or expense of buying and installing the case.

I lock up my shotgun, and teach my kids not to touch it. When they get older I will take them out to the field and show them what it will do. Until then I really don't want the kid messing with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 10:24 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,566,204 times
I prefer to keep a round chambered and the safety on (or the hammers down). Releasing the safety makes less noise so I won't lose the suprise factor. Everything counts in a gunfight.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,364,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Really. How'd you get in? You're not going to jimmy the lock or break down the door without me noticing something amiss. Meanwhile, you're too busy poking through the closet--I know, I have trouble finding things in there myself--to even notice that I've come back. You feel a safe come down on your spine, and then hear the crack as your wrist breaks.
Wow. Really? You wouldn't know anyone was in the house, so you wouldn't enter via stealth mode. When you enter your room the attacker already has the gun pointed at you, what now? I know, you try to make a stupid move and get turned into swiss cheese. Get real.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,879,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I understand that. I guess I don't much care about having a gun ready at the draw to go through the hassle or expense of buying and installing the case.

I lock up my shotgun, and teach my kids not to touch it. When they get older I will take them out to the field and show them what it will do. Until then I really don't want the kid messing with it.

How old are the kids?

By age 5 my father was letting me shoot his 12 ga and his 30-06, and other guns of his. On my 6th birthday he gave me a single shot bolt action .22. That .22 was mine to keep in my closet, and to take target shooting any time I wanted.

By 8 years old i had earned several NRA marksman badges and bars that go below each one with that .22 and bows.

The funny thing was I had a aunt that used to steal all my jack knives till I was 14. She threw them in a pond at my grandfathers place.

That made squirrel hunting pretty hard.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 PM

20 posts, read 12,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

No No, he thinks he's this cartoon character

YouTube - Hiko Seijuro - Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu

Old 09-22-2010, 01:18 PM

296 posts, read 227,269 times
Thread molested. I am out of here...

Old 09-22-2010, 09:16 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,400,370 times
these fecal matters that killed this mother and girls should be killed, the sooner the better. These guys are just ****, and should be treated like it.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,527,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Wow. Really? You wouldn't know anyone was in the house, so you wouldn't enter via stealth mode. When you enter your room the attacker already has the gun pointed at you, what now? I know, you try to make a stupid move and get turned into swiss cheese. Get real.
I told you, I would notice something wrong with the door. And he said that he's rummaging through the closet, not paying attention to who comes in.

I was nice--I didn't point out the fact that he's trying to follow someone walking, who cuts through parking lots and alleyways on the way home.

And if--as you say--you're waiting for me with gun in hand, for me to walk in, how is having a gun going to help me? Does it matter if I'm shot dead with a gun in my holster or without a gun at all?

The difference between my approach and yours is that I don't have to kill the attacker, and he learns a lesson--and picks an easier target next time. The guy that broke in my house was walked out the door, and he never came back. He learned his lesson--and he may have even told like-minded friends to pick an easier target.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:14 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,165,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The difference between my approach and yours is that I don't have to kill the attacker, and he learns a lesson--and picks an easier target next time. The guy that broke in my house was walked out the door, and he never came back. He learned his lesson--and he may have even told like-minded friends to pick an easier target.
So, you're content with criminals preying on more vulnerable people?

Old 09-23-2010, 02:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,527,380 times
Well...I only worry about me. I don't care about any of the rest of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies