Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:57 PM

128 posts, read 130,215 times

Advertisements

There have been so many cases where the kids shot the parents, or got the gun and did something else. If people would keep it loaded and in reach, you would see much more of this. You have to keep them locked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 09:04 PM

126 posts, read 224,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I am a hunter, and I own a shotgun. I have a hard time understanding exactly how her owning a gun would have prevented this. Maybe it would have. Maybe not.

I don't keep my shotgun loaded, and it is locked up with a cable lock through the action. Realistically, there is no way I could unlock it and load it in time to use it against an intruder.

To keep it unlocked, and loaded, I believe, would be irresponsible in a house with children.
then you don't have children... i keep several firearms locked but accessible within 10 seconds because i do have children to protect. they aren't loaded, but the loaded mag is next to the firearm. my kids are 10/13/15/17 and they are all proficient with our firearms. their curiosity went out the window after i made them clean the firearms after hitting the range (3x week during the summer, 2x month during the school season). they also hate cleaning 8x 25 rnd rifle magazines and 6x 10 rnd pistol magazines.

i don't know the details of this heinous crime, but i bet anyone in that situation would wish to have had firearms training and one available. reading this brings back angry memories of when my uncle was murdered during a home invasion and his wife raped. this one event brought me into reality that bad things can happen to anyone. i've always told my wife we don't need guns in the house and that these bad things only happen to other people. i convinced her we lived in a safe neighborhood and having guns will only end up with accidentally shooting someone.

after owning firearms and practicing gun safety with my kids, i can't see the danger in having them around with children. it's no more dangerous than having kitchen knives accessible to children.

-a|ex

Old 09-16-2010, 09:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
In Texas we have the castle law. Anyone who is not armed i their house is crazy.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:15 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
When seconds count the police are only minutes away.......

You have the rest of your live to solve the problem before it solves you.

Sad, very sad.
Where I live you cannot count on law enforcement getting here in less than 45 minutes. That is with sirens blaring and lights blazing. We have a large county and if the sheriff is at the other end of it, he is more than 30 miles away on curvy Missouri roads.

It is my opinion that not having a gun is foolish. My heart goes out to these poor people who died. How sad.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-16-2010, 09:19 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HilaryC View Post
There have been so many cases where the kids shot the parents, or got the gun and did something else. If people would keep it loaded and in reach, you would see much more of this. You have to keep them locked.
Why not train your children better,it is more troublesome I guess...

Old 09-16-2010, 09:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I had my first .22 that was kept in my room at 14 or so...I shot it when I wanted...

Amazing the entire neighborhood wasn't killed...

Funny to think how conditioned we have become.
My folks who were modern-day pioneers, took me out "plinking" with my .22 when I was 10. I loved it. My father taught me how to be safe with a firearm.

One thing, that is different today are the video games. Children kill (shoot) people on them for fun. The line is blurred between fantasy and reality for many people (go to the tv forum, if you don't believe me).

I think there is a greater chance of children shooting people without really understanding the consequences of their actions. But again, it is the parents job to teach them. (and take the damn video games away once in a while so they learn the difference between fantasy and reality).

20yrsinBranson
still plinking every chance I get

Old 09-16-2010, 09:28 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
This is such a horrible horrible story. Apparently he heard his wife being raped upstairs. The whole thing that motivated these subhuman scum is that one of them got a glimpse of the 11 year old at the supermarket and got the hots for her so followed them home, then conspired with his sidekick and concocted the whole plan. Who lusts after an 11 year old, rapes her then sets her on fire? Oh, never mind . . . I don't really want the answer.

I'll tell you what, I'm so enraged from hearing story after story after story like this in our sick world that if we ever had an invader (and we do have guns), I wouldn't just shoot the pig. I'd incapacitate him and then torture him a little first. When the police come to do their investigation, I'd just insist I can't remember a thing. If the insanity plea works for the subhumans, surely it could work for me.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:40 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Only a lawyer could argue this logic....

Did you see where the defense lawyer was questioning the head cop and said if he had done his job better the family would still be alive.

Yes, my client did it but if the cops had gotten there sooner they would not be dead.

Makes perfect logic to me. Blame the cops, not the criminals.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:50 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Only a lawyer could argue this logic....

Did you see where the defense lawyer was questioning the head cop and said if he had done his job better the family would still be alive.

Yes, my client did it but if the cops had gotten there sooner they would not be dead.

Makes perfect logic to me. Blame the cops, not the criminals.
Criminal defense lawyers are some of the lowest forms of life that exist in our society. I'm not at all surprised at this. A few years ago there was case in NC where a jogger was attacked and raped, then murdered. She sprayed the attacker with pepper spray in an attempt to save herself. The defense lawyer argued that she had enraged the rapist by pepper spraying him and therefore he shouldn't be held accountable for killing her and the jury agreed. Sick, sick, sick.

Of course the criminals are responsible for their crime but on the other hand, it took the police thirty minutes to get to the Petit family home after receiving the 911 call from the bank manager. Boy, I'd be suing the heck out of that police department.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:58 PM

720 posts, read 705,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Fox news at it again If someone was that desperate to rob you, they will be armed, much more than you are. By the time you try to make a step towards your weapon, the looters would have killed you 20 times over.
These propaganda "They're coming to get me!" crap is ridiculous.
No, the crap you are proposing is ridiculous. In my home town over the last 3 years there have been 4 home invasions. The one family who was totally unarmed were raped, beaten and the daughter killed. The other three were armed, in two of the cases the invaders were shot and killed. The other one, the home owner was tied up, but managed to free himself, retrieve his gun and kill the robber just before he tried to kill his son. So give your gun up and be happy and noble. As for me and mine we will keep ours fully loaded, thank you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies